Thread: Iron sight question

Default Iron sight question

This last hunting season my scope failed on me and rendered my SS ruger MKII useless. The gun still shoots well and is very accurate so I don't want to abandon it. But Before I go out into the field I do want to have some Iron sites as a back up on the rifle. Has anybody had this done at a local Anch-Matsu gun smith? Any one that you would recommend? and how much did it cost (ball park)? I also know their are a lot of different types of Iron sites. I would be curious in hearing peoples recommendations about the different types. Thx

You can do a search and find an after market peep site for the Ruger that fits where the rear ring does. Then add you need to add is a front sight.
    I use Stan Jackson in Anchorage for most of my work. Front sight installed is probably around 60 bucks, The Ruger peep maybe 50.
    Tennessee

Default Iron sights

Google "New England Custom Guns". They make a variety of very good iron sights. They are not cheap but they are worth it. I have used their products for years. Once you decide on the kind of sight you want just print it off and show the gunsmith. Also, almost every gunsmith has a Brownells catalog on hand that shows a variety of iron sight options. "Warne" and probably some other companies make a receiver/peep sight for them also. One problem I have with detachable peep sights is the possibility of loosing it.

Brother Baumerj

Send me an e-mail and I will zap you back photos of the M-77MKII that I have added irons sights onto....

dragonfly@alaska.net

Alex
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    You can do a search and find an after market peep site for the Ruger that fits where the rear ring does. Then add you need to add is a front sight.
    I use Stan Jackson in Anchorage for most of my work. Front sight installed is probably around 60 bucks, The Ruger peep maybe 50.
    After reading all of Jeff Cooper's books years ago, I realized how a set of iron sights as backup on a scoped rifle might save a hunt. I even saved a hunt that way once.

I also second the recommendation of Stan Jackson, and I'm glad to hear that he's still at it.

Default fixed sights

Quote Originally Posted by baumerj View Post
    This last hunting season my scope failed on me and rendered my SS ruger MKII useless. The gun still shoots well and is very accurate so I don't want to abandon it. But Before I go out into the field I do want to have some Iron sites as a back up on the rifle. Has anybody had this done at a local Anch-Matsu gun smith? Any one that you would recommend? and how much did it cost (ball park)? I also know their are a lot of different types of Iron sites. I would be curious in hearing peoples recommendations about the different types. Thx
    If your Ruger has the same barrel profile as one that was offered w/ factory sights, Ruger offers the service to install them for not much more than the cost of the parts. It will look just like the factory sights of old. That is an option and they do work well as backup, but, may not be the best choice if you wanted them for primary use. I put a set on a mkII 338WM.

GVA

Default $130 for mine

I just sent my gun off to the smith today. He quoted around 130 for sights on my Savage 116 stainless. I want the same thing you are shootin for, So I put leupold qrw quick release rings on it and will have the sights permanently attached. So if things get bumped....take the scope off and keep shootin. I was hoping to get stainless sights to match the gun but I guess I am even more ignorant of the gun world than I thought....it seems they are not made. My gun is at Red's Gunsmith shop in Chickaloon. He was the first smith that picked up the phone so he got the biz so no testimonial to his skills but his candor and professionalism on the phone so far have been great. Said he usually uses Williams sights. Will hopefully have a thumbs up or down on the fella in three weeks or so when I get it back.

I do not know how to post photos of my M77MKII in 350 Rem Mag,
    Although I sent some to baumerj.

I used a NECG rear peep sight and a Remington front ramp. The a fiber optic low-light type bead and a hood with random holes all over it.

The NECG rear peep stays zeroed and attaches to the Ruger built-in base. I use a Warne ring set to attach the scope when I need to use that...
    http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/i...t.htm~maindeal

The rifle weighs exactly 7 pounds with iron sight and 8 pounds with the scope attached....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Iron sight question

Hine sight is 20-20, But I will never buy a gun without open sights.

I can't believe gun manufactures offer some guns without iron sights. You don't save that much money and that much weight to out weigh the risk of having an inoperable gun on a hunting trip.

If anything the weight of the sights helps the handling by making the gun heavy to the front.

I don't understand some gun manufacturer's angle here.

It's just not worth the risk to me,

Good Hunting,

KatzMO

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

KatzMO:
    I canít fault your reasoning, and I like Iron Sights for backup myself, but in recent years Iíve hunted with rifles that donít have iron sights, mainly because they didnít come withíem.

I use Quick Detachable Scope Mounts, and keep an extry Scope back at camp. And, another rifle too. Iíve never had a scope fail me, but then I havenít hunted to the extent that many do.

Smitty of the North