Thread: Overnight hali charter question

Default Overnight hali charter question

I'm interested in an overnight charter, but the only ones I've found so far require you to rent out the entire boat. I'm coming up in August and could have anywhere from just myself to 4 of us, depending on who commits in the next couple months. Anyone know of an overnight where they'll put you with another group? I want a charter that goes to seldom fished grounds, the farther the better. Thanks for any and all info

Andrew

I know Alaska Coastal Marine takes large groups out. Don't have any personal experience with any of the overnighters.

I dont know where you have been checking but in homer I have done 3 overnight trips and it was never a rent the whole boat thing.The charter boat was the spirit and it was like 20-30 people.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

The six-pac boats that charter overnight usually only require a minimum of 4-5 people to charter the whole boat. You might check with www.fishvaldez.com, this is Captaindd on this forum and he does a 36 hour overnight charter for, I think, 5 people on a really fine boat, so you'd only need one more to have the whole boat.

I can't imagine risking an overnight with 20 or more strangers out on the ocean! could be great, could be OMG why'd I do this!!

You don't have to rent whole boats (unless you want to). I think you can keep more fish, too if you go out for several days.

I have to say I have no idea what Cap'n Ron is talking about with this OMG and 20 people thing. I don't care one way or the other whether I personally know or like everyone or anyone on a multi-party boat, nor do I have an overwhelming urge to pass judgement on people I just met. But perhaps this is not for everybody. In any case, earplugs might be worth bringing just in case.

And I wouldn't do this on a 6-pack.....too small of a craft for me.....the larger boats are more stable in seas/weather.

Here is a Homer Chamber of Commerce listing of the Charters, and what they do or don't offer...

http://www.homeralaska.org/templates...ry/Fishing.pdf

/John

I went on one overnight trip out of Homer on ACM. There were about 40 people fishing. Some fished all night long. The fish, on that trip and others according to the deck hands, don't seem to bite much at night - and if they do it is usually a big fish.

I went with my uncle, his wife, a 12 year old boy, and I - my uncle's wife caught the largest fish at just over 100 pounds. I was on the other side of the boat and did not even know that she caught it.

When the tide starts ripping they do the boat walk.....drop at the front and walk it back....they ran to the chicken hole early the 2nd morning and most were glad to kill a 10 pound chicken. We had a good time and it was a good experience to do one time - only one time. I would never ever go on another huge boat chicken run again.... I would go on a 6 pack overnighter to specifically target large fish with good friends.

bullelkklr makes a point.
    there are two types of overnights... the "double limit chicken run" and the "long range fish hunt"
    the big fish overnights here are often 2 nights, so as to have a whole day fishing in a remote (usually afognak/shuyak area) spot.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    bullelkklr makes a point.
    there are two types of overnights... the "double limit chicken run" and the "long range fish hunt"
    the big fish overnights here are often 2 nights, so as to have a whole day fishing in a remote (usually afognak/shuyak area) spot.
    I guess I should have been clearer. I've been on charters quite a few times and want a real shot at landing a triple digit fish. I'm interested in running to grounds not reachable on a day trip. I have no desire to go out on a boat with 20 people, I think this greatly dilutes your chances of catching a really big fish. The overnight trip that Captain Andy runs out of Seward to Middleton etc. is the type of thing I'm looking for. Realistically there will be 2-3 of us, so we don't have enough to rent out a 6 pack boat. Would I be better off to head out to Kodiak or somewhere else if I'm looking for big fish?

give travis larsen of alaska premier sportfishing a call. you might be able to add on to an existing trip.

http://www.premiersportfishing.com/
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Travis Larsen as recommended by Homer Dave, specializes in what your looking for.../John

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Travis Larsen as recommended by Homer Dave, specializes in what your looking for.../John

As usual this forum is a wealth of information, thanks guys!! Good luck to you all and God bless.

Andrew