Thread: Drop off hunting the sound

Default Drop off hunting the sound

Looking at booking a drop off hunt in the sound for after I return from my deployment, in late september-oct.

It will be a party of 4, mainly looking to get some black tail deer, but would take a black bear, or brown if they were in the area.

Right now I'm looking at a water taxi from
    Aquetec LLC

my questions are,

1. What island would you choose? I've been told Knight is a good choice, would like to avoid Montague if possible. Are there deer on Naked Island? Any place else I should consider going?

2. Any one know of another good drop off outfit, either by water taxi or plane in the sound?

3. Anyone done this sort of thing before/have any advice? We're all seasoned Alaskan hunters, but none of us have done much sound hunting.

Call Pacific Mountain Guides out of Valdez. I know they do drop off service to usually Hickenbrook or Monague.

Curious as to why you want to avoid Montague? More deer there than any Island in the Sound.

Naked, Peak and Story Islands all have deer. You'll be doing most of your hunting there in the timber or brush tho. If you like spot and stalk hunting, Montague and Hinchinbrook and Knight are all good.

You want easy access? No bears? Low travel costs? Chance at big bucks? Lots of deer? Public use cabin? It all depends on what exactly you are looking for in a hunt.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Would like to avoid Montague, because its permit only brownbear, where as the other islands are open to harvest ticket bears.

Aquetec Water Taxi specializes in exactly what you're talking about (groups of soldiers). He has decent prices if you go with a group like that. Good guy too. BOOK EARLY! He fills up fast.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
    Would like to avoid Montague, because its permit only brownbear, where as the other islands are open to harvest ticket bears.
    It is a registration permit though that anyone can sign up for as long as the quota hasn't been reached. After listening to the cordova area biologist it doesn't sound like the quota for montague has been reached the last few years. another problem with montague would be its farther and im sure would cost more than some other islands.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
    The guys I've gone hunting w/the last two times of the past three years have all had success on the islands you speak of and though I've seen bear sign on Montague I've never seen a bear so I'm not convinced hunting them will be that easy, which may be why the quota is never reached? WX obviously will play an important part in the success of your hunt. Some prefer early winter when snow drives deer down but, flip side is 'poor' WX to boat in so its a toss up. Late fall rainy season. Public cabins mean surrounding area may have had recent pressure. Fly out drop off, good luck as you're really at the beck and call of mother nature. I love hunting the sound, you'll have a good time.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I can't say enough good things about Matt and Aquetec Charters. He's a great guy with reasonable prices that will work his tail off for you. Have a great trip!

What is an 'average' price for a fly-in drop to Montague on the NE side?

Ive used aquatic in the past. Good people. Does what he says. No BS. Hunting Knight is tough. You have to go up high and most of the island is native owned. You can ask for permission to hunt native land at there web sight. All the islands have deer and black bear on them. Montague is the best for hight success. Brown bear is a regester hunt and opens oct. 1st. My second choice would be Naked or Green. I beleave its around 3 to 4 hundred bucks a person for water taxi. Way worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    What is an 'average' price for a fly-in drop to Montague on the NE side?
    I think Natron wants $950 a head to go out there. Kind of tough to find a spot to land on the NE corner, but maybe with a cub.