Thread: painting a scott albany

Default painting a scott albany

Looking to paint a scott albany. Anyone done that. I suppose I can rattle can it and touch it up every other time out. I heard that I might have trouble sticking to gel coat. Boat is not a duck hunting friendly color at this time. bob

you might lightly sand the unit an use a boat paint from a boat shop [ a 2 part paint ] not cheep but will last, or can buy a lot of cans for the same price your call you will need a paint that grips the
    .... gel coat not just sit on top as you know by your post about touch up

Default scratches = character? If so, I gotta lot.

since the guy I got my Albany from did paint it a fresh coat of green (sorry, I don't know the details) I know that every scratch on its finish is mine. I like it just fine with scratches. I remember one time in particular I was at speed 50 yards from shore and obviously not paying enough attention when my Albany launched left and up. I looked down and right and saw what had now become a bright green rock. I guess I well-marked that hazard for later travelers.

No paint. Lightly sand the surface to rough it up. Use two part polyester resin based gel-coat (hardener and resin) and don't forget the surfacing agent to make it hard. The surfacing agent has to be warm when you mix it. Put it in your pocket for a while before mixing it into batch. Use a short napped candy striped roller made to be lint free. Only mix a small amount at a time or it will harden up before you finish. Good luck.

Default green blob o-mania...

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    No paint. Lightly sand the surface to rough it up. Use two part polyester resin based gel-coat (hardener and resin) and don't forget the surfacing agent to make it hard. The surfacing agent has to be warm when you mix it. Put it in your pocket for a while before mixing it into batch. Use a short napped candy striped roller made to be lint free. Only mix a small amount at a time or it will harden up before you finish. Good luck.
    That was cool. I just repped your fine post Boud'arc, and as I pressed return, your one green box multiplied into two right on the spot. I've only seen that one time before, ever.

Thanks guys
    sid,thanks for your help on this forum while fitting out my grumman,I painted that bare hull the right way and it is in fantastic shape
    family man, I just inked the deal on the boat should pick it up soon,the color is light blue. What was yours? Reading your posts it sounds as you have some exp. with this model, I may have to pick your brain a little more.
    boudarc, I have no knowledge of this procedure do you recomend any brands or manf. Is this something a shop of some kind might do?
    Thanks to all Bob

Default make room for a real expert

Quote Originally Posted by bobw View Post
    family man, I just inked the deal on the boat should pick it up soon,the color is light blue. What was yours? Reading your posts it sounds as you have some exp. with this model, I may have to pick your brain a little more.
    I'm happy to share what I know and have done, but mainer_in_ak is my expert resource when it comes to canoe mods. His expanse of experience pales mine. And he's a great guy too.

Thanks Familyman. For a minute, I thought I was just seeing double.

bobw, Find a place that sells fiberglass and resins. I buy my stuff from Plaschem here in Anchorage. West Marine has it but they're pretty proud of it. Just Google gel-coat and find a store near you. You can always have it shipped since you live in the normal world. You can get it in any color you want. It's easy to work with just don't try to do too much at once. You have about 10-15 minutes before it starts setting up after you mix in the hardener. Gel-coat looks like thick paint but smells like an auto body shop. Open the garage door about a foot and put a fan down there to blow out the fumes. The best time to do it is when you wife visits her mother. The smell gets in the house a bit no matter what you do. The retailer can give you specific instruction on how much resin, hardener and surface agent to mix. Your canoe will probably take a gallon to change the color.

OK I googled gel coat and the first link was called the bottom paint store. They had complete instructions. Having never done this it sounds tricky. I wil call them tommorrow and see what they have to say. Is the prep about the same as with paint? Why does this work better than paint anyway? thanks bob

Hi folks,
    I just got back in town from a weekend get-away. Think of Gel Coat as an epoxy with some pigment and certain additions like filler (dependent on which brand). It's always best to brew your own. Call up West Sytems and tell them you want some tutuorial dvd's. I remember them being helpful to customer projects even back in the 80's as I watched their older VHS videos on their products. Another great company that caters to college students, and home projects is fiberglast. Call them too and they'll help yah brew up a good, long lasting, and durable finish that will repel the salt water, and heavy abrasion unlike most cheap paints like oil based rustoluem and other corner-cutting hack jobs. Polyurethane marine grade stuff is good for small inboard touch-ups and above-water touch-ups. Gel coat is the best, and longest lasting to protect the lay-up from absorbing moisture or possibly even salt and degrading. I haven't brewed up a large quantity of gel coat in a long time, but remember having better results than the stuff that's already made because you can fine tune it's consistency.

did my homework today. First called a local shop that does this work on boats,explained my project and gave me a ballpark of a grand for the whole job. Thats not seeing the boat. Called and talked to a company that supplies gel coat to do it yourselfers and walked me through the process, didnt sound too difficult . Coverage is 12 sf per quart @36 bucks a qt. Called a guy that I usually buy duckboat paint from at Lock Stock and Barrel and told me the steps to use for paint. about 50 bucks a gallon with shipping. This guy builds fiberglass boats and was in the paint industry and he said with the right prep it will stick. Talk to the boys at Camoclad to do in in a vinyl wrap. About three hundred for materials plus 225.00 for labor if they do it. Not sure if the stuff would wear very well but it would look great. Like I said in a previous post I have not picked it up yet so I still have time for options. bob

Gelcoat covers gelcoat 100% of the time with a light sand job and quick wipe with acetone. Gelcoat is tougher than paint. You can repair scratches every year and keep it looking new year after year for a lifetime. If you damage the boat with a gouge or deep cut then you sand a little further, apply a little poly-resin patch, re-gelcoat and it's new again. If you paint the boat with something else then you may have a huge job someday when the paint starts fading, cracking and pealing. If you need to make a repair then you'll have to get the paint off first. Can you get the paint off without taking the original gelcoat off with it? Things to consider.