Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mokai Boats

Default Mokai Boats

Will not be at the Sportsman Show this year. Did Demo 3/26 rides today breaking ice.
    The upgrade Subaru Motors are a very nice improvement.
    PM me or call if you would like to go for a ride.

Cheers,
    Andy

Default whats new this year with the Mokai?

Sorry you're not going to be there this year; I enjoyed talking to you last year, and as we've talked about before, I've always been really intrigued by your boat.

Can you post a quick synopsis of the improvements in the Subaru motor, and a range of expected speeds and capacities?

Are you still the only game in town for a powered kayak? I'm glad you guys are around; I would love to buy two of them sometime, but $$$ holds me back, like lots of us I think...

Thanks!

The Honda sold as a 6 hp was tested and found to be only 5.2 at best. Honda then changed the decals to read 190cc. During the testing the best RPM for the Honda was 3650, the Subaru Robin off the shelf is a true 7 hp and 4000 RPM this gives the Mokai about 1/3 increase in power. So a 250 pound load that would run at 10 MPH will now travel at 13+ MPH. I have seen one of the smaller guys 145 pound get 18.5 MPH in the new boat.
    There were some changes to the hull that help it get on step faster and some that shorten the time to build.

The Subaru Robin engine still gets 8 hours of run time on 3 gallons of gas a plus with the cost of fuel.

Todd's boats is the only rental of the Mokai in state.

Cheers,

I've seen these Mokai boats here n there. I visited the Mokai website and became curious of what they'd be used for here in Alaska. It seems they only have a capacity of 360 lbs(person, motor,fuel,gear). and are only 36 inches wide. That's quite narrow and only being about 11.5 ft. long I have to wonder how practical or versatile this set up would be when they would cost (fully equipped and AK shipped) about $4000 or more. That's a lot of money. If you have a family, or you hunt and fish rivers but still want to save on fuel costs, I would imagine there are better investments. With Copperhead down in Louisiana manufacturing heavy duty and lightweight Surface Drive mud motors, and Osagian selling their rugged 17 ft. Missourian Square stern canoes in Fairbanks and Anchorage, that type of set-up could haul well over a thousand pounds up rivers like the Tanana and the Yukon, or shallow rivers like the Little Sue for a price quite comparable to the asking price of one of these Mokais.

I have three rivers/creeks that I have discovered so far that would be accessable with a Mokai, but pretty much no other craft is going to be able to do. Bring your Mokai along with your bigger power boat and a whole bunch more would be available. I can get up them with a pack raft deflated in my gear and pretty much float a whole moose down with the setup. There is no one boat made for everything. I priced flights back into these rivers and I'd pay enough for them to pay off a Mokai in about two hunting trips.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Bring your Mokai along with your bigger power boat and a whole bunch more would be available. I can get up them with a pack raft deflated in my gear and pretty much float a whole moose down with the setup.
    I love that idea. I bet I could strap a mokai on top my canoe just fine, weight wise and top-heavy wise. Once you remove the motor from them they weigh about nuthin' I think.

I've always wished for the mokai-grande, but I think you have a better idea here.

I have three rivers/creeks that I have discovered so far that would be accessable with a Mokai, but pretty much no other craft is going to be able to do. Bring your Mokai along with your bigger power boat and a whole bunch more would be available. I can get up them with a pack raft deflated in my gear and pretty much float a whole moose down with the setup. There is no one boat made for everything. I priced flights back into these rivers and I'd pay enough for them to pay off a Mokai in about two hunting trips.
    Your post hasn't really helped me to understand a viable use for these things other than an occasional jaunt for very limited single passenger fishing scenarios. After fuel, your hunting gear, and your body weight, how would be able to haul moose meat around with one of these things up/down a tight little creek? I'm assuming from some of your cool pictures/and stories you've posted that you're a big/ burly guy, you simply will not have any weight capacity with that thing. Is this a theoretical idea or have you actually done this?? I would think a compact displacement hull like a 13 ft.-15 old town predator (camo) or a 13ft. Esquif Mallard(camo) with a little six horse surface drive motor would do much better for what you are wanting to do and have well over twice the capacity of that Mokia thing. Unlike that small jet motor (6hp) that looses efficiency, surface drives multiply torque with under-drive gearing and push a massive surface piercing prop (just ask some of the duck hunters) If you could fit a packraft up these supposed creeks, than a Mallard or Small Old town predator would certainly work much better. I know from real experience. Just for the record, that tiny little john boat is all of 10 or 12 ft. long, and only 44 inches wide or less, a little mallard would do even better, and probably drag better too. That Mokai won't compare to a touquey and purpose-built surface drive, and royalex canoe or aluminum john boat built for hauling a reasonable load, and lot's of abuse that's in the same price range.

Attached Images Attached Images

It's all about what trips your trigger and that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with practicality. For example, I have a porta- bote...light weight, won't sink, carries a heck of a load, flexible hull cuts right through a chop, takes just a few minutes to assemble and goes about 18 mph with me in it on 6 hp, just about indestructible. It's dang practical but you don't see one hanging on the side of everyone's garage. My neighbor gets down on his unicycle all summer long...practical for him but would be, for me, my last bad decision. Never experienced a mokai but it looks like fun to me.

I agree with you Garyak. I don't think that Alaskamokaiman was pushing anything on us . Just getting out some info. I think that these boats would be a kick, and I have thought about getting one myself. Though mainer in ak thinks that this is a lot of money, this is just a drop in the bucket on what Alaskans will spend on frivolous entertainment. For many folks (Including me, over and over) not everything has to have a practical application. Not everybody wants/needs to haul a moose out with a boat. I live in Alaska to enjoy myself, and that means toys, and lots of em'! Life is short.Play hard.

Mainer-

I don't want to reveal locations, but imagine a 12" deep creek meandering so tight that it's tough to get a canoe around going downstream. Lining a canoe up it is a total frustration due to meanders. We are only talking 10' wide with hard banks. Current is less than 3 mph and often less. I know of two huge moose to come out of this creek and both times guys hiked in overland for many miles, staying away from the creek, killed moose and then floated back out on one of those one man catarafts. Both guys have said they would never do it again because the walk in was Hell, but the ride out was just fine. Both have looked at Mokais as a possible way in. I weigh 250#, I can do a 5 day hunt with a 75# pack including PackRaft. Go in, shoot moose, pack to creek, inflate large PackRaft, fill with moose, float out with it and Mokai. Make two trips if needed.

The creek in question is only one of three I have scouted with the same possibilities. All are virtually unhunted due to the difficulties involved.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default It was me that asked him

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    I don't think that Alaskamokaiman was pushing anything on us . Just getting out some info. I think that these boats would be a kick,
    I had asked him to post up what he's got now - I know it changes - so blame me for any pushing.

I think he's got a cool little boat. And he's a great guy to talk to. I've talked with him (and met him once) over the past few years now and every time - great guy.

If I had a few grand I didn't know what to do with right now, I'd love to get a pair of those mokai's myself.

Mainer-

I don't want to reveal locations, but imagine a 12" deep creek meandering so tight that it's tough to get a canoe around going downstream. Lining a canoe up it is a total frustration due to meanders. We are only talking 10' wide with hard banks. Current is less than 3 mph and often less. I know of two huge moose to come out of this creek and both times guys hiked in overland for many miles, staying away from the creek, killed moose and then floated back out on one of those one man catarafts. Both guys have said they would never do it again because the walk in was Hell, but the ride out was just fine. Both have looked at Mokais as a possible way in. I weigh 250#, I can do a 5 day hunt with a 75# pack including PackRaft. Go in, shoot moose, pack to creek, inflate large PackRaft, fill with moose, float out with it and Mokai. Make two trips if needed.

The creek in question is only one of three I have scouted with the same possibilities. All are virtually unhunted due to the difficulties involved.
    Well Doug, I have a river boat and a packraft.... How many mokai's do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Well Doug, I have a river boat and a packraft.... How many mokai's do you have?
    He could be off enjoying your panda. ;-)

Mainer-

I still think you'd be much better off with a hard core little mud motor, and a little 13 ft. mallard, less than two feet longer, twice the payload capacity and used in conjuntion with you pack raft.. This set-up would be the same price. You weigh 250lbs. plus motor and pack.....and you've maxed the recomended payload of that mokai. The mallard would still have 300 lbs left. Lining would be a non issue if you had that mud motor, I was just trying to recommend something that makes more sense, and is far more versatile. But I guess the extra 18 inches of length from a mallard is going to make that big of a difference. A mud motor doesnt care how much water you have, you can practically dip half the prop in the water and still push hard because it's a cupped/surface piercing prop. I know a guy (a forum member here) who may chime in soon, and tell yah his "real world" experience with the multiple mokias he had. I'm pm'n him a link to this discussion.

Mariner I take no offense in your thoughts but I have used them in ways the factory never thought of and will never offer. If you are coming down from a big boat to a Mokai you may not be happy but if you are going to the Mokai from a kayak you will be happy. There is also a learning curve on its use.

I was out on the ice last Saturday playing ice breaker even the mud buddy type drive can not follow me they just make margaritas where as the Mokai pushes the ice down and travels on top of it not even making an opening. I am first out on the ice in spring and last out in the fall breaking ice.

Surface drive that is built to replace the jet unit. We are working on second generation. It increased the top end with the 6 Honda motor.

Not to mention My "Tim Allen" version that is currently the fastest in the world. Am in contact with another engine manufacture that will be in production of an engine that will let me hit up wards of 28-30 maybe even more.

I have taken these little boats many places that a wider boat could not follow me like through some small culverts, under fallen trees and when all else fails I can drag that 150 pounds along way. It makes a great landing craft from the big boat and lets me do a lot of exploring after we set up camp.

And yes the first problem with them is one is not enough.

I own other boats as well and have added things to them cause they didn't work like I wanted, I am sure that you have added to your boat too.

Cheers,

Default Mokai surface drive version 1

I spend more time making things than learning the computer. Am building a CNC machine to make parts I dream of so I will be learning more computer skills .

One other thing to add I have had 795 pounds in the Mokai not recomended by the CG. A one man pontoon raft or a kayak as a trailer works great for meat hauling.

Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I had a 13 ft. Mallard with a 6 hp surface drive, i'd certainly challenge you to a performance test with your jet powered mokia, as to where you could go, or even breaking ice.

although this may not be a fair comparison, I'd be open to challenge the usefulness of your rig against an esquif 17 ft. canoe and my 12 hp copperhead.

Your claims about your mokia going over ice and a surface drive unable to do this are TOTAL LIES. You've lost all credibility with me due to your total dishonesty.

Here's some more ice for yah to go with your lies:

Copperhead is a nice product I have contacted them about building the surface drive to slap in the boat with the GX200 B&B should be a screamer.

Cheers

And now I lie. That is very thin ice lets see the pictures of 6- 8 inches.

Since you don't like the mokai why don't you just not look at any post about them and let people interested in them enjoy the discusion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast