Thread: More than one way to skin a cat. What about hare?

Default More than one way to skin a cat. What about hare?

With my last outing I realized there are different techniques used to skin hare. I like to head shoot mine with a .22 LR so as to waste as little meat as possible. I prefer to get the hide off of them when they're warm, it comes off much easier, but then you don't get a picture with your harvest at the end of the day.

Once skinned I fold the hind legs backwards to break and open up the pelvis. I run a knife along the underside from chest to pelvis, trying not to nick bowel. With the open pelvis I can cut under the rectum and remove the guts intact from anus to appetite. All's left is the head and feet which I try to disarticulate rather than break bones. They go in a plastic bag and that's how I bring them home.

One technique I've seen involves deboning the hind legs and back strap. As far as I know, the front legs are raven food. I refuse to do it that way because it seems to be a waste of good meat, although it is less work and you never nick the bowel.

Is there another way that's much different?

i hunt cottontail down here in Michigan...we have hare but i haven't been up north to do so just yet. but here is a video of how i clean my rabbits (this is just a video not actually me) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOj_UrHl4y8

Quote Originally Posted by dillinger09 View Post
    i hunt cottontail down here in Michigan...we have hare but i haven't been up north to do so just yet. but here is a video of how i clean my rabbits (this is just a video not actually me) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOj_UrHl4y8
    that is slick!!!

I always just take them home and case skin them like a fox, it is good practice on not ripping the hide. and you save all the meat. usualy I cut theback legs off and the front legs and the back straps and tenderloins, heart and what ever neck meat there is, I try to save everything, then use the carcass and liver for bait. I shot one big ol snowshoe that actually had some rib meat on it MMMMM

I fry mine. or rotissary or make stew. frying is the best if you shoot them before they are alerted and arent scared.

Slick indeed. I may just try that. It looked like he gave the front legs to his beagle. Not worth eating I guess. Or, maybe a just reward for it's part in the hunt.