Thread: Mulchatna Caribou-just Say No

Default Mulchatna Caribou-just Say No

As I Read And Look At Past Threads Just Have To Say Its Time To Say Back Off.the Herd Is Hurting And Anyone Thinking Of Hunting It Should Go Else Where.there Have Been Many Posts On This But Still See Guy's Asking How To Hunt Them.the Herd Is Down To A Low Number-40 To 45 Thousand,way Down From The Peak Of 210+.as I Look At Other Guides Sites And See That They Are Still Selling These Hunts I Kinda Get Perturbed.i Also Am Disturbed To See Guides Post From Dillingham Stateing That The Herd Has Crashed But Still Looking To Book Hunts At A High End Price.i See This Herd As Being Able To Barely Support A Subsistance Harvest If That And If One Can Find Them.i Have Lived In The Heart Land Of This Herd For Only A Mere 20 Yrs And Have Seen The Rise And Falling Of This Herd And It Is Time To Say No,and Any Guide Booking A Hunt On This Herd All I Got To Say Is Shame On You.

It's too bad you can't just say what you think instead of beating around the bush. (joking)
    I couldn't agree with you more. I have two good friends who guide in 17 and 19 who quit doing caribou hunts as of last year. There are still a lot of gtuides and air taxi operations selling Mulchatna 'bou hunts. It IS a shame.

almost like some sheep areas...people won't lay off on their own accord, they need fish and game to restrict them before the issue beomes aparent.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default some times beating the bush starts the fire

Alaskan,thanks for the back up,funny that in between my post is an ad to hunt the mulchat bou's,althouth the numbers quoted are not that of the state,as a some times and listed member of the nush ac,and have been in yrs past.just want the word to get out.as stated on many posts the bull/cow count is way down on the bulls,and TROPHY BULLS ARE VERY VERY SLIM.so if planning to hunt the bous look else where.

I have no idea what the current situation is with bou in this area. The 40-45 thou figure seems awfully low. Where did you get that figure?
    There are 2 factors that somewhat contradict what you say. The state still has some non res hunting of bou in units 17 and 19. If things were as bad as you say, seems like all non res would be closed. The feds(Federal Subsistence Regs) also allow non res hunting as far as I can tell. Generally, Fed Board closes fed lands to non locals when game pop numbers get real low.
    I also see that your website still shows some bou hunts available. Specialty hunts on the lower Nush? Correct?
    Has there been a recent count of the herd? Like this winter?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

This is why I tell people to head north to hunt caribou
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default martentrapper-info

As To Your ?s You Will See I Have A Restricted Hunt For The Bous And State Call For Info- I Posted This Two Yrs Ago And If You Call I Will Tell You That Unless You Are A Res Of The Area I Will Not Do A Hunt And If You Are A Res I Will Barter.such As The Other White Meat-halibut-bou.have You Called And See If My Mouth Is As Big As The Famous Guide From Dill Is.also Count On Major Changes On The Herd Such As The Same Day Airborn Hunt Being Shut Down, Would Not Be Surprised If Non-res Get Shut Down Too.would Have Been Present At The Last Nush Ac Meeting But Due To Global Warming And The Record Temp Of 53 Degrees,my Runwayway Was To Soft To Get Out.you Ask About #s I Get It Is From Fish And Game And Their Report To The Advisery Committee They Say Herd Is At About 45 To 40 Thousand Strong

Default That number may be high

My pilot from Dillingham says that 40,000 is high..
    I spend two weeks a year in 17 and 19 for the past 8 seasons.
    The bou are hurting...
    But,,, lots of young Bears and wolves..
    We saw 14 different bears on a float trip last year along the river system..
    I would imagine I saw only 20 percent of the bears in that 60 mile float..
    Most bears were young boars and mothers with as many as 3 cubs..
    Lots of people hold out for big boars when hunting brownies..
    What this does is actually making an increase on bears in this area.
    The big boars are getting pounded now due to the one bear every year laws over their now..
    The Sows are now able to raise 2 or three cubs every 2 years easier because the big boars are gone. The big boars kill many young cubs so the Female comes back in heat... Killing only big boars keeps this natural thing from happening The smaller boars are no contest for a mature mother protecting her cubs,,, only the big old bruins can pull off the cub kill with fair success, and even then the sow is a fierce fighter ..
    This is about the only predation on Brown bear cubs. .. Yes I know a few get taken by Wolves,, but not like Big Boars are capable of doing,,,,,
    My pilot friend and I flew some rivers that supported good Silver salmon and counted many many sows with 2 or more cubs..
    Don't be afraid to take younger bears when in these areas..
    it will help the Moose population out greatly.
    put your pride away and shoot a smaller bear .. ( or Sows without Cubs) of course.
    just my .02 worth.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default An Other Reason

As Alaskan Canoe Stated,the Prediters Of The Bous Have Increased As The Bou Herd Has Decreased,agree 100% On The Bear Facter And You Hit It On The Nose,seen Same,the Wovles Are As Thick As Fleas Too.weather Has Been Tough And Hard To Go After Them,hear Them Howling Across The Open Creeks.starting To Get Cold But No Snow.hope To Help Save The Moose Soon

still think a two bear limit would help take out some younger bears....i know as a resident if I could shoot two i'd hammer the first one i got a shot at then trophy hunt and not trophy hunt first...i think you'd see alot higher incidental harvest that way. we'll see if it goes thru with unit 13, with 16 and 13 it would be neat to see if they can take a stab in the dark if that helps the predator numbers. Mybe then we'd see some liberation of bear limits in other units as well...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Question wolf outfitter rec'

since the wolves are so thick in that area, can anyone recomend a good outfitter for a wolf hunt in that area?

thanks.

Default Wolves

Not Sure If Anyone Is Guideing For Them,i Would But Not Enough Snow To Make It Worth While,hope To Tag A Few During Spring Bear

cold zero, i tried to pm you, but i get the message that your message box if full. pm me, and i can give you some good info.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    cold zero, i tried to pm you, but i get the message that your message box if full. pm me, and i can give you some good info.

hit me up via email if you would please. thanks for the info.

email sent

Talking

alasken;

great info'. email back to you.

thanks much.

One of the things the BoG needs to do is close the same day airborne winter hunts in GMU 17. F&G has already restricted non residents to one cariboou and closed a number of river corridors to non residents. Residents are alwo restricted to one caribou during the fall season. I also knokw of a number of guides that have quit offering Mulchanta caribou hunts, but then there's always those that will no matter what. I e-mailed the area biologist and he states the herd count will be under 50,000 this year. I've seen bears and plenty of wolves out there. The bear season wasn't open and the wolves were at a distance.

If the herd is naturally declining then why should harvest of bull caribou be restricted, to leave food for the bears and wolves? Are you saying the herd is declining because too many bulls are taken by hunters? Do you think that restricting the number of bulls taken by hunters will increase the number of calf caribou that survive? Maybe I just don't get it, educate me.

I remember at one time they were saying this herd had hoof foot. Is this still a problem?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default same day airborne may be a thing of the past

there are proposals for shutting down the same day airborne as there is for a change in bag limits,we will find out after the pow wow in anch,and yes remember the hoof rot,pretty sad to see the animals with it.f+g said it did not affect the animals meat or kill them although it seems that the herd started to take a dive after.need a certain bull population to keep the herd in little one's not sure what the number to cows was but we do not have it