Thread: Scout Scopes: Leupold, Burris, and Nikon

Default Scout Scopes: Leupold, Burris, and Nikon

I just acquired a Marlin 1895 SBL and am thinking of putting a scout scope on it (low Leupold QRW rings). I handled one with a scout scope and really liked the broad peripheral vision and great eye relief (esp with the recoil). Normally I'm skeptical of the scout scope but I think on the lever gun with quick-release rings it may work pretty well. If it doesn't work out, I've got a Charger I can toss the scope onto so it will go to good use!

There seem to be three good choices:

The Leupold looks like a hands down winner (great warranty, best FOV, leupold quality, etc). However, it looks like you cannot adjust the ocular lens. I wear glasses so I am a bit concerned about not being able to adjust that; I've had to tweak a few other scopes. I didn't have trouble when using one in a store, but...

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these optics. I'm still leaning towards going for the Leupold but the Burris looks pretty good too.

I just put together a SBL/Leupold combo on Friday. It's a pretty slick setup. Iron sites zeroed at 50 yds and the scope 3" high at 100 yds. Suprisingly, this combo shot a 2.5" group with 430 grain hardcast. I removed and reinstalled the scope a couple of times (QRW rings) and it holds the zero pretty good. I plan to test this setup on a black bear this May.

It took a bit of time to get used to the long eye relief, but after a little practice it became pretty easy to quickly get on target.

PM sent...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Having personally sold over 500 Loopy scout scopes, having heard the reports, having used them myself with eyes as fuzzy as Barack Obamas foreign policy, I can honestly say the the non adjustable ocular is meaningless.

We are now stocking Leuplod IER scout scopes in......1-4x! Yep, real variable scout scopes.

I wouldnt give a Burris to anyone, not even one of my several ex wives.

Nittany,
    I wear glasses as well and I've had a lot of success with the Leupold 2.5x IER on a few different rifles. In fact, I've had more issues adjusting regular eye relief scopes than the IER ones in general.

Best of luck with the new SBL.

I had the Leupold 2.5x and found it to be very forgiving and a very good optic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Having personally sold over 500 Loopy scout scopes, having heard the reports, having used them myself with eyes as fuzzy as Barack Obamas foreign policy, I can honestly say the the non adjustable ocular is meaningless.

We are now stocking Leuplod IER scout scopes in......1-4x! Yep, real variable scout scopes.

I wouldnt give a Burris to anyone, not even one of my several ex wives.
    Thanks for the quick thoughts, everyone. Good to know that the lack of adjustable ocular isn't a big deal. It didn't seem like it would because with a scout scope, to benefit from "both eyes open" and the wide peripheral vision I'll need my glasses on anyways (which is facilitated by the long eye relief...).

Ken, I surfed Leupold's website and didn't see anything about a variable IER! Is it new? Do you know what the product line is so I can look it up on their website? I'd love to look up the specs (FOV, reticles, dimensions, etc).

I think the new 45-70 will be making a trip to WWG in the near future, too...

Ken, I surfed Leupold's website and didn't see anything about a variable IER! Is it new? Do you know what the product line is so I can look it up on their website? I'd love to look up the specs (FOV, reticles, dimensions, etc).
    I have no idea whats on their website...I avoid the web .... Jim West has been hassling Leup for years for one, he has been hunting with a prototype and our rep brought us a production one finally at SHOT. The are marked custom shop make and I have to run them in multiples of 12 via a distributor. Sellin the hell out of them. I have the product and dont have the specs LOL...but they work!

The Leupold guy will be at TGASS, he will have info I reckin and we will have a scope there too

I have no idea whats on their website...I avoid the web .... Jim West has been hassling Leup for years for one, he has been hunting with a prototype and our rep brought us a production one finally at SHOT. The are marked custom shop make and I have to run them in multiples of 12 via a distributor. Sellin the hell out of them. I have the product and dont have the specs LOL...but they work!

The Leupold guy will be at TGASS, he will have info I reckin and we will have a scope there too
    That's awesome, I'll have to keep my "eyes open" at the show! Thanks for the heads up... 1-4x sounds pretty good...

I'd choose a Burris Scout scope over the two others mentioned. I owned that Nikkon Monarch 2x EER you mentioned and it was a flawless scope. Keep in mind that Burris was the company that invented the scout scope, and they usually rate pretty highly from folks other than a competing group who are trying to convince you to buy the model they sell.

they usually rate pretty highly from folks other than a competing group who are trying to convince you to buy the model they sell.
    My beef with Burris is their absolutely piss poor customer service. It never affected me personally, but when Steve @ AK Custom was with us, he got rung around the mulberry bush by them. Leupold is far better, no matter who invented them.

But hey your $$, your choice, my Karma demands customer satisfaction and I know that Burris wont do it.

That is the setup I went with....1.5 inch groups with 460 grain corbon ammo at 100 yards. Leupold FX-II 2.5x 28mm Scout scope. I shot a 4 shot 1.5" group while removing and reinstalling the scope with the quick release rings between each shot. Leupold rings and scope FTW.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

My beef with Burris is their absolutely piss poor customer service. It never affected me personally, but when Steve @ AK Custom was with us, he got rung around the mulberry bush by them. Leupold is far better, no matter who invented them.

But hey your $$, your choice, my Karma demands customer satisfaction and I know that Burris wont do it.
    +1 on Leupold customer service. There may be companies out there that do it as well as Leupold, but nobody does it better.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

I've dealt with their customer service after I broke my affordable landmark bincocs after four years of hard use. I sent them in regarding the rubber eye cups, and have a brand new pair that are ready for another four years of dropping in the silt and onto rocks. I had an issue with my fullfield 1.75-5 power scope recently and they were ready to get it fixed with no questions asked. I thought moisture had gotten inside my objective lense, but it was actually just spots on the surface from bore cleaner that I didn't fully clean off. Anytime I've dealt with them recently, I've had an entirely great experience. The only problem is I can't seem to knock one out of alignment yet and I've owned about six total products from Burris from their top of the line.....to the base line models. Nitroman (who doesnt live in a city) runs a Euro Diamond on a huge big-bore magnum. He lives in a harsh climate here in AK and is one of the reasons I chose the same model he has. If you read all of the reviews on mid way usa regarding the 2.75x scout.......nothing but good reviews from people shooting hard recoiling guns.