Thread: What ever happened with snaring black bears in Ak?

Default What ever happened with snaring black bears in Ak?

Ok,

I heard the fish and game board members speaking about the possibility that snaring black bears might be legal this spring...

anyone heard anything about this?
    Scotty in the AK bush

Just caught this article today. Maybe it will help.
    http://aprn.org/2011/03/25/game-boar...snaring-issue/
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

we will know on the 1st of april
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

What would be the difference between shooting a sow with cubs at my bait site and snaring one? Although i have never trapped bear before this doesn't seem very "selective" as Fish & Game suggests. Maybe i am missing some key information.
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Quote Originally Posted by y2kadle View Post
    What would be the difference between shooting a sow with cubs at my bait site and snaring one? Although i have never trapped bear before this doesn't seem very "selective" as Fish & Game suggests. Maybe i am missing some key information.
    YZ, I have to agree with you on the trapping and snaring. A very non selective sport in my opinion. You can set traps for fox, but catch an eagle or hawk in your trap. At least with a gun you can say no to a shot that doesn't make you feel right. My thing with snaring bears is, who's to say a moose won't get hung up in the snare. Just doesn't seem right to me for it to be allowed, because it's very uncontrollable as to what gets caught in that snare. Give me a gun and I'll respect nature. Give me a snare and I'll kill parts of nature I never intended to kill...JMO

It's bucket snares grizzlyH, a moose would have a hard time gettin its leg in the bucket unless it kicked up its back leg and stuck it into the whole. The bucket snares are bear specific and for the most part specie specific depending on how wide the hole is cut, and the only thing it isn't is sex specific. I'm not sure why they'd rather snare than allow brown bear baiting, I guess I would like to hear their reasoning on that.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    It's bucket snares grizzlyH, a moose would have a hard time gettin its leg in the bucket unless it kicked up its back leg and stuck it into the whole. The bucket snares are bear specific and for the most part specie specific depending on how wide the hole is cut, and the only thing it isn't is sex specific. I'm not sure why they'd rather snare than allow brown bear baiting, I guess I would like to hear their reasoning on that.
    OK 33, that puts a little better lite on it for me and maybe more people need to know the method I guess. I guess if you set the bucket high enough that a cub can't get in it is my concern. Baiting and shooting the appriate bear is still my idea of good sport thow.
    I've never been a bear hunter, because I grew up on a resort in NE Minnesota and had to kill plenty of Blacks to protect our cabin guests when they became too agressive. I always felt bad after killing one of em, but it just had to be done. I guess I'll never be a bear hunter in AK, unless one hunts me first, then the old me will kick back in. I really don't know what to say on this subject and will just sit back now and listen to what other folks have to say on this post subject. Thanks for the enlightenment thow. It helped me understand better about snaring bears.