Thread: Fly Equipment for fly fishing Sockeye on Kenai River

Default Fly Equipment for fly fishing Sockeye on Kenai River

Hi

I have been fishing the lower Kenai for a number of years and have decide this year I want to set up a couple of fly rods for my wife and I. I have been researching past post but would sure appreciate some more thoughts on equipment issues:

1. What wt rod?
    2. What length rod?
    3. What wt line?
    4. Floating or sinking?
    5. What backing?
    6. Typical sinker set up.
    7. Wt of leader?
    8. Length of leader?
    9. Any other advice for novice fly fisherman?

Thanks for any help.
    glfisherman
    Help keep discarded plastic from our waters.
    http://www.excel.net/~jokruege/plasticbags.ppt

Wt of rod 8,9,10: Use a reel with a very good drag, palming can hurt after a while.:length 9',9'6".10':line wt, 8,9,10,or just use monofilament about 30 lb.: line sinking,50 lb backing: I use hollow core lead, about 3 inches on main line, then #7 swivel, about 4 to 6 feet 15 lb. leader then the 1/0,2/0,3/0,4/0 or 5/0 hook with yarn tied to it with an egg loop. Do not stand to far out in the water, the reds are right next to the bank, sometimes in 12 to 18 inches of water. Have fun it should be good year.

I use an 8 wt...........kinda on the lite side depending were your at............about an 8 ft leader...usually 15lb or more............I spread my shot out a little to get my fly just off the bottom and swing it. I use sharkskin line floating. I don't have good luck with sinking line.....seems to ride under the fish to much and I snag more then fair hook in the belly. whatever reel you go with it needs a good drag and make sure it is a large arbor. 20 lb backing is fine mono or decron. As for flies.......any thing will work. But bring a lot of them you will lose a bunch on fish and snags. Be forewarned once you go there next you will want a one man raft to hit lower spots and get a little more room......lol It happened to me.Oh one more thing don't stand in the middle of the river, they will swim right next to you.

I use floating line myself...Have for 30 years....Sinking line tends to get pulled by the current and just rips your fly downstream...That is just my opinion...I fish an 8wt.....I do use my 7wt but Im in my drift boat away from the crowds and have the room.....
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

a nice eskimo fly works wonders
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

This is what I found I liked after trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by glfisherman View Post
    Hi

I have been fishing the lower Kenai for a number of years and have decide this year I want to set up a couple of fly rods for my wife and I. I have been researching past post but would sure appreciate some more thoughts on equipment issues:

1. What wt rod? 9 wt. (also used a 10 wt some, but it wasn't very stiff fished more like a 8 or nine weight)
    2. What length rod? 9' or 9'6"
    3. What wt line? Matched to rod.
    4. Floating or sinking? I like sink tip, but have used floating
    5. What backing? 20 or 30 lb. I like orange.
    6. Typical sinker set up. Slinky rugged to slide up and down the line
    7. Wt of leader? 15-20 lb
    8. Length of leader? Depends on your set up. If you use a sliding weight, you can use a shorter leader. If you use a fixed weight, your leader will need to be longer (6+ feet)
    9. Any other advice for novice fly fisherman? Get a good reel. Solitude, Lamson, Galvan, Ross, etc.... Get an extra spool. Put a different type line on it. That way you will have one spool with a sink tip and one with a floating. Makes it quick and easy to change to whatever is working best.

Try out some vests in the store and some waist packs. I bought a couple of vests and just never found one I really liked. I did find a waist pack that I liked. I its a personal choice, but you want to find what you can live with. I spent too much $$ before I found what I liked.

Thanks for any help.