Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spotting Scope for Sheep Hunting

Default Spotting Scope for Sheep Hunting

What's everybody using? What's your thoughts on the balance of power vs weight?

I have a Leupold, but don't necessarily recommend it. I got it as a present and as soon as I can afford something very good, I will be making a spotting scope purchase. I shave wt. on everything, but I don't think wt's. going to be much of a consideration for me when I start looking to purchase. I just think that when it comes to sheep hunting and good/powerful spotting scope glass, I won't let a little extra wt. interfer with my choice.

I have used a Pentax for the last several years, but upgraded to a Zeiss dialyt spotter for this season. It has been my experience that atmospheric conditions make it hard to use anything stronger than 45 power on most days. Get the best glass you can afford and hunt with your eyes and not your feet. Good glass holds it value and can be sold if necessary. It has also been my experience that the low end scopes just don't have the resolution required for sheep hunting.

JMHO,,

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    It has also been my experience that the low end scopes just don't have the resolution required for sheep hunting.

JMHO,,

Steve
    That's been my experience with my Leopold.

I'm using a Nikon 15-30x50 ED. I had a Leupold Sequoia before that and I couldn't really use it above 30x most times, so I don't feel too limited by going to the lower power Nikon. I might not feel that way if I had some really high quality glass. The Nikon gets really great reviews from bird watchers, and they spend a lot of time behind glass. I've found it to be really great glass and haven't had any of the resolution problems I had with my Leupold. And the weight savings is amazing!
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica...

Anything "can" work. Those three, WILL work.

Yup, they aren't cheap. Neither is a hunt of a lifetime.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Zeiss diascope, 85mm. I like to count the annular and dont mind the weight if it means I can verify age on a ram that may happen to be double broomed.

YMMV,

Jim

ETA: Quality is heavy.
    Last edited by Jim~; 03-26-2011 at 11:38. Reason: forgot to mention...

I hear this a lot and I am on the fence.... I can afford right now to "upgrade" to the Zeiss but I hesitate due to the lower power. I know that I can't really get the most out of my spotter on high power looking over long distances due to the heat waves. I have not yet been close enough to a ram to really get into judging that last inch between legal and not legal. At 3-400 yards I could see the 60x swaro or even my pentax being useful to get a right up close and personal view. Is this not the case? At this range is the mirage still an issue causing over 45x to not be useful? If the consensus is that 50-60x is still not useful in that situation then I may well sell my pentax and make yet another call to Doug at CameralandNY. I know the compact size and shape of the new zeiss sure is desirable.... Does anyone local to the Valley have one? I would like to make a run or two up Pioneer ridge or twin peaks and put them head to head. Heck even judging ewes should provide some real answers!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I would like to make a run or two up Pioneer ridge or twin peaks and put them head to head. Heck even judging ewes should provide some real answers!
    When do you plan on running up Pioneer next, I'd like to see that.

Perhaps "run" wasn't the best term... After 17 months in the desert working on computers.... well suffice it to say no one wants to see me lumber up a mountain! I definitely have my eye on a miserably steep but very isolated trail that I will stumble/crawl up for a few weeks before I embarrass myself in front of others!! I may just go ahead and order the zeiss and sell it if I decide I want more power.

Stid hit it right on. Anything above 45x will be too heavy to carry away from base camp anyway.

DO NOT overlook Vortex. The Viper and Razor line is AMAZING and mid-range for price. I'll be getting a 15x45x60mm Viper with High Density glass this year.

Taylor

What do you guys think about Kowa's?

Whatever you guys buy, don't buy anything more than 65 power and don't get the angled eye piece.....trust me, get the straight eye piece.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Whatever you guys buy, don't buy anything more than 65 power and don't get the angled eye piece.....trust me, get the straight eye piece.
    I like the angled, but at 6'5" anything that helps me not have to stoop over is a blessing!

FYI I just received the new product catalog from Leupold. They are now making a 20-60X80mm Gold Ring for those who like Leupold but wanted more than 65 power magnification. Their prices are lower than Zeiss and Swaro... but I buy them on the outfitter program. Hard to get at the moment but may be an option to consider.

In Delta we watched a sheep for 3 hours at 300 yards feeding on a mountain trying to determine if it was legal. My trusty Leupold 15-45. After much deliberation as to wether it was broomed or not or full curl (rings were out of the question for the spotter). We finally decided it was legal and I torched it. 11 years old, double broomed (brooms were 2" across not just lamb tip shredding) and full curl still! Sheep of a lifetime. Pilot laughed when we told him how long we looked at it. We had to get a closer look at the other 12 legal rams.

Moral - buy the best you can.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I like the angled, but at 6'5" anything that helps me not have to stoop over is a blessing!
    Most of my glassing for sheep has been from up high and glassing LOW, thus, putting that kink in you neck. looking down at a down angle. Agled eye pieces are great for glassing high from low areas, but straight eye pieces are great from all angles.....Power on the spotters are key, especially in mountains that alot of thermals......too much optic power causes distortion......My opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    What do you guys think about Kowa's?
    My son has the Kowa and really likes his.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    ...It has been my experience that atmospheric conditions make it hard to use anything stronger than 45 power on most days....
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    ....don't get the angled eye piece.....trust me, get the straight eye piece.
    Not to hijack the intent of the thread, but would you guys care to expound on your statements (why?)?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Not to hijack the intent of the thread, but would you guys care to expound on your statements (why?)?
    I already did....read above...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast