Thread: Argo 8X8

Default Argo 8X8

I recently purchased an Argo conquest and would like to hear from anyone who has driven these things about the does and don'ts. Ive heard alot of advice about chain maintnance, but nothing about driving/hill climbing or its general limitations. Any pictures would be welcomed.
    Thanks.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

High maintanence machines. Have put several miles on one that was owned by a privious employer. It had the track also that was put on for winter use. Fairly good machines if you don't abuse them. They do get stuck with the wheels only if you get into too much of a muddy, swampy area. The winch had to be used several times in those sort of conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska
    High maintanence machines. Have put several miles on one that was owned by a privious employer. It had the track also that was put on for winter use. Fairly good machines if you don't abuse them. They do get stuck with the wheels only if you get into too much of a muddy, swampy area. The winch had to be used several times in those sort of conditions.
    Do you get better traction in the swamp and mudd with the tracks?
    Should I go with the regular tracks or the wider 18" tracks?
    How well do the tracks hold up to use?

Default check this one out

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/165426486.html

looks like a pretty cheap way to get into a decent argo. (if you want an argo....lol)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Ak Fireman

I own 5 argo conquest and have never had a major problem and I run them every day, Just grease all 1,000 grease fittings (SMILE) every 25 hours and you will be fine . I would say buy tracks and make sure they are super tracks ,The super tracks are superb in the mud as far as limitations if you go in deep water like a beaver pond you are ok anything else with any kind of current make sure you have a motor on the back I use 50 lb thrust trolling motors on mine I haul 5 grown adults no problems. unless you get into muddy areas where the wheelers have been digging ruts then if you do not have tracks make sure you have a winch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Argo use

I run the 8x8 Response model, I am very pleased with its performance at almost 200 hrs. I run with a buddy who also uses an argo. You have to drive them differently than a four wheeler, faster is not better through muck. If you drive at a reasonable speed through the mud it'll walk through most stuff. If you feel it start to get struck stop right there and back out, move over a bit and try another place. I can honestly say that 99% of the time when it gets stuck I can back out. As far as tracks they are nice in swamp but will beat you up on hard packed or rocks. Thats something I've tossed over the past few years and am sticking with wheels. Mainenance is not bad, have 160 hrs and no problems, I change oils more than I should, keep the chains lubed. Here's something else I've found, Its important to keep the brakes dry of oil. Every couple runs I take the calipers off and wipe everything down with brake cleaner, and LIGHTLY oil the idler chains. I've only gotten two flat tires, one was in the first hour of opperation (excusable), and the other was a sharp stick in a burned forest area.

If your interested I have a meat trailer for sale that I posted in the swap and sell a while ago. Made three custom aluminums and am selling one.

Happy trails.

Yes Iam looking for a meat trailer, please send the info at akfireman@iaff.info

Default Escargo tracks

Ever use those Escargotracks?

Default Escargo tracks

Ever use those Escargotracks?

Jack

I have looked at those as I go thru 2 sets of tracks a year , The thing I noticed about those is that they make alot more noise going across rocks and the thing that looks like a problem is they look as if they would tear alot of bolts out of the tracks and what about stretch ? How do you take up the slack ?, I 'm sure they would be awsome if running strickly tundra or snow, I wonder how much they weigh compared to Super tracks ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

The cross pieces are steel and they sound like a D-8 on the videos ,but, the performance in water grabbed my attention. I wonder how they compare up to RS Bolduc's track set-up.