Thread: Our Road Gear List for the Journey.

Default Our Road Gear List for the Journey.

This will be our third cross continent expedition to Alaska together, and my fifth total. On our previous two trips we were much lighter. Everything I felt we needed for both comfort and emergency fit into the back of my truck. With the exception of all our household goods, the trailer, a cap on the truck, and my generators (for the house), the list is pretty much the same.

I thought I would post this list of gear and some of my experience for anyone looking to make a similar trip. HTH.

1. Passports, CAFC 909/910 declarations, Canadian Animal Health Certifications (available through your vets office), and all important insurance/health/emergency/property documents, travelers cheques, (We're debt free and carry no credit cards except a debit bank card and preloaded Wal-Mart Visa stored in seperate places).

2. The truck: 2004 F-250 Superduty (FX4), 6.0L powerstroke diesel. Completly and thoroughly serviced with all new fluids throughout and new air filter (spare) ((I will also stop in Dawson Creek to change the oil again)), full set plus two matching spare tires (Kelly Safari Trex 265 75R16).

2a. Truck set-up: Top Gun front end replacement , radiator blanket, rock/bug deflector,Leer 100r cap with a Thule rack , Thule basket with extension , UnidenCB radio, Uniden Bearcat trunking scanner with handheld , , two dc/ac inverters,

2b. Truck gear: Tools (1/4,1/2,3/4 drives and sockets, wrenches SAE and metric, several and various other plyers, vice grips, screw/star drivers, hydraulic jack with blocking, tire chocks, tire chains, tire repair kits, foot pedal air pump, spare serpentine belts, eight feet of hot water/high pressure tubing with hose clamps,JB Weld, 30 gallons of treated diesel fuel, 2 gallons of engine oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid, two gallons of premixed anti-freeze, one gallon of concentrated anti-freeze, three gallons of wiper fluid, an empty five gallon bucket with removeable lid, 20' of chain, two tow straps, bungee cords, lots of maps, super glue,

3. Trailer filled with houshold goods.

4. Survival/Emergency/Comfort Gear: $2000.00 cash (Canadian)MSR Storm King tent (outside of a Barneys Bomb Shelter the best tent I ever owned), MSR MiniWorks water filter, two 3 gallon water bladders, thermarests, -40 bags, several wool blankets, three tarps (poly), two tarps (canvas), Coleman dual fuel stove and lantern, Stihl 029 chainsaw with spare chain/file/wrench/spark-pug, five gallons of gasoline, two snow shovels, one pointed shovel, one flat shovel, pick-maddox, hatchets, an axe, splitting maul,dog/cat/chicken food (that's right I said chicken). Apparently we'll have fresh eggs on this trip, I'm not joking...

If you notice there is a lot of redundancy in my gear. I'm anticipating most services between Dawson Creek and Whitehorse will still be closed. Training and experience has taught me that two is one and one is none.

We don't rent hotel rooms. We set up camp every night around dusk regardless of weather. Camping in weather contions as low as -20F is routine for us and we are extremely proficient at setting camp. We almost never buy food at restaurants or convenience stores, and I can recall only one time when we stopped at a grocery store for food (we ran out of cheese..!). These habits and discipline save us money and allow us some latitude with the finances to make any necessary emergency purchases out of our cash. It also means we can afford, if we choose, to purchase any nicer items we come across.

I believe we will start a different thread photodocumenting the trip. Trips of this sort should be looked at more as an expedition than a trip to Gramma's house. We learn something new everytime and if we can pass on helpful tips for someone on the road behind us, we'd like to help. Also, it's just plain fun!

Our departure date will be somewhere around the 15th-30th of April.

Eagle River

Quote Originally Posted by Jim~ View Post
    ..."Training and experience has taught me that two is one and one is none..."Jim
    Man, that is definitely worth quoting for this drive. Great advice.

Other informative threads on these forums:

Good post.