Thread: Wide loads, permits and the Whitter Tunnel?

Default Wide loads, permits and the Whitter Tunnel?

I figured since it was almost spring and time to get boats out that its time to bring all these questions back to up for all of us who got new boats over the summer. I will ask my questions but other should feel free to ask as well.

My boat is 9'6" wide so I need a permit to move it on the highway. I also need "oversize" or "wideload" signs and a beacon. My questions is about the trailer. The bunks are a bit wider than the actual boat. Do I have to list the width of the trailer on the permit or the width of the load (the boat)? What do they measure when I got thru the Whitter tunnel? If its the bunks I can take them off or adjust them down and in so they don't stick out farther than the boat width. I am sure that with my bunks in there current position my tralier is wider than 10 ft and I think that causes grief at the Whitter tunnel and way more $$.

On a side note when I got the permit to bring my boat home the permit person gave me a great hint. When you fill out the license number on the permit, put your trailer's plate number. That way the permit is valid for whatever truck is towing that trailer. If you put your trucks license plate number the permit is only good for your truck. I have two trucks that can pull my boat and I don't want to buy two permits.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I just read the fee schedule for the tunnel and its still confusing.. Here is where I think i fall:

Passenger and recreational vehicles pulling trailers hauling boats more than 8.5 feet wide but not more than 10 feet wide, not more than 14 feet high, the total combined length cannot be more than 75 feet, possessing a permit and displaying all markers required by the permit

The way this reads they are worried about boat width, but it could also be read overall width. They really need to make it clear. So tell me what happens in reality. I know some guys have had there boats measured. It also says on the web page that you have to provide a copy of the permit for the tunnel operator. Do you just take along a photo copy for them?

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row so to speak.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

They go by Total width , so, if your boat is 10' wide and you have guide on posts on your trailer that are 3" each your total is 10'-6" ...

Get out your credit card , this may hurt.

My bowpicker is 9' 10" wide, pull up to the booth hand the guy/girl the copy of the permit, tell them last year you paid $35, they only measured me once, first couple of years they charged me $125 to go through then the last 4 or 5 years its been $35. My boat/trailer used to go through on the train so i just tell them BS if they snicker about height.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I think mine is at lease 9'10" with the side bunks. The railing around the cabin is straight up so its not a worry, but the bunks worry me. I am going to move the down a 6 inches and slide them in as far as they will go, that should put them at the same width as the boat or maybe just a inch or two more.

I am really trying to figure out a good way to measure the actual width. I read that the guys in whitter just eyeball it and that worries me. I am thinking a couple of plumbobs and measure between the marks they make on the ground. Its either that or build a huge caliper out of pvc pipe or 2x4's.

The one time I saw a tunnel worker measuring width I think he was using something like a 2X4.

The tunnel rats use to use the huge caliper thing made out of PVC pipe. It was no where near accurate. Plumbobs are the most accurate. They do measure the widest point whether it be trailer or boat. If you look back you will find where some of the folks with Kingfisher had some issues with bow rails.

Big reminders is make sure you have all your attachments with you.....1st is the HR which is the Holiday restrictions attachments, next is the HD which is the hours of darkness attachments. Then if you have a pilot car the PC and if you are over 10 foot then don't forget the HS, Highway Speed supplement.

Also for those that are CDL drivers, found out last week that they are now testing color vision and it's a must pass. On the other side of the news depending who does your DOT physical if you are more then 30(?) pounds overweight or snore amongst a couple of other things you will be required to do a sleep study and until then they will not issue you a DOT card. It's not in writing yet but these agencies are leaning forward and implementing these requirements earlier.

I have my physical and license renew Tuesday I will let you know if I find out any other crazy stuff.

Are you saying that I have to print out those pages and keep them with my permit? I guess that is so I can not claim ignorance of the rules if I get caught doing something wrong.

I wonder how much trouble I am going to have if I pull my boat out of the Homer Harbor and pull it to my land in Homer late one night or on a Holiday weekend. I know its illegal but are they really going to pull me over for that.

I have to get my boat out next week to measure for my weigh distribution hitch, going to do it in my neighboorhood, just not where it sits. While its out I am going to plum bob the widest points and see what I come up with... hopefully it will be 9 ft 11 3/4 inches.

What is really funny is my neighbor has a big bayliner (I think) that is like 10' 4" wide, told me he just tells the tunnel guys its 9' 6" and they let go through.

What I don't understand is why does boat size matter going through the tunnel? As long as it fits anyway.
    This will be my first year going to Whittier with my boat. Fortunately I am not oversized with my 23' Bayliner.
    But I am curious as to why it would matter with tunnel traffic only going one way at a time?
    What is their reasoning for charging you extra for a wider boat?
    I don't mean to open a can of worms here just can't seem to grasp the concept mentally.
    My best guess is this is one of those "Because they can" moments.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

[QUOTE=My best guess is this is one of those "Because they can" moments.[/QUOTE]

You got it.........

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Are you saying that I have to print out those pages and keep them with my permit? I guess that is so I can not claim ignorance of the rules if I get caught doing something wrong.

Ignorance is not an excuse. Also remember you are not dealing with just state laws but some federal laws also apply.

I wonder how much trouble I am going to have if I pull my boat out of the Homer Harbor and pull it to my land in Homer late one night or on a Holiday weekend. I know its illegal but are they really going to pull me over for that.

I have done it in Valdez after having to leave because of an emergency. Pulled it over to a friend's house out by the weigh station. Homer way I don't think you would have to worry much as them let the guides move their stuff all over just north of you, but that may change, SOON>>>>>

I have to get my boat out next week to measure for my weigh distribution hitch, going to do it in my neighboorhood, just not where it sits. While its out I am going to plum bob the widest points and see what I come up with... hopefully it will be 9 ft 11 3/4 inches.

What is really funny is my neighbor has a big bayliner (I think) that is like 10' 4" wide, told me he just tells the tunnel guys its 9' 6" and they let go through.

Lucky him...I am 9'6" and they always try to burn me for the over 10' fees.
    Check above for my opinion and it is my opinion.

Charterboat Operator

Had mine measured at the Sterling scales a couple of years ago. The worker just smiled and laughed "I dont think that happened by accident "
    8'-5 7/8" fender to fender.he told me, dont wrinkle them or it'l cost ya!