Thread: Been think all winter about this bear.

Default Been think all winter about this bear.

I've thought about this bear all summer,fall,winter looked at his pictures a 100 times. Last year this guy bear I call white spots. Me and him played cat and mouse all season. I would pictures of him at my site. Then two mins later on my game carmara you would see and me. Then I would leave and he would be back on my bait within 30 mins. I've tried every trick there is. From one guy staying in the stand and one guy leaving.
    Anyhow he day is coming again. I going to out smart him this time if I have sleep in my stand for 2 days.. I want him.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

He is pretty! Show us some more snapshots, will you? Hey, I have an idea! Why don't I go in with you since he knows your scent, I'll sit up in the stand, and you leave? He won't know what to think of me, and since you are gone, he'll come in. I promise to get some good video? Please?
    Really though, he looks like a great bear w/ those distinctive white spots. I sure hope you at least get more photos of him this year, if you are not able to bring him home.
    It's photos like that which make me miss the bears. Very cool.
    ARR

Nice Bear!! How well does the sign work? If he eludes you this year give me a shout if you would like to run him with some hounds once baiting season is over.

Pretty bear. Last fall I drove the Cassair and must have seen close to 18 blacks grazing along the shoulders (clover was blooming). Almost all of them had either a white blaze or chevron on the chest like this one. Not sure how common that is (?). Maybe it's a regional variation (?).

Do the browns read your barrel and move on? How well is that working for you?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Leave some of your scent behind in the stand. He will get used to it or overcome it to get to the bait. Eventually you will be there instead of the scent.

Looks like in the picture he relies pretty heavily on his nose for danger sign. Make sure you are utilizing scent-free methods of handling your camera and everything you leave in the area. EXCEPT that sweatshirt you leave in the stand...

Just a thought. Sometimes bears just don't want to die! Believe that?! LOL

Taylor

Taylor

Taylor you right because this picture was taken as I walking to the site. Two mins later i walked by my camara. I leave my sent everywere around my site. He just smart but i going to get him this year.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Mite have to keep that in the back of my mind I have another area that would be fun tho
    Quote Originally Posted by chadf View Post
    Nice Bear!! How well does the sign work? If he eludes you this year give me a shout if you would like to run him with some hounds once baiting season is over.

i had one of those I wanted him so badly he didn't come in this last year hopefully this year he will reappear It is so neat when you get focused on one particular animal almost like a bond exist between you.

Put in a Snare Bucket...if you get a sow snared, he is yours!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Darn nice bear, those bears with chevrons are awesome. I shot one last year with a chevron on the chest but not near as big as that one. I had a big bear(6.5'+) come in a few years ago while I was at stand, unfortunately he kept his rear to me the whole time not providing a good bow shot! Good luck man!

I've done what Taylor said. In the past, when I used to run and work out, I'd use the same gear over and over. Every time I'd finish the workout I'd bag the clothes, then pull it out to put it on. What did I care how I smelled? Then after I had the clothes smelling really ripe I'd take em and hang em in the trees above the stand. If I did not have anything that ripe I'd leave something that smelled like me just the same. I'd even go so far as to spray mosquito repellent around the site to add one more thing that smelled like me.
    Then I'd tend to go into the site, ready to hunt, cleaner than I had ever been. Still don't know if it all helped, but it sure did not hurt. Here is one I've never done, but thought lots about. What would happen if you had a system that made noise and spread food based on a timer? As you got the bears more used to the special goodies released, you could change the timer to be less frequent, and eventuallyu to only go offf when you would be sitting. I was wondering if one of those automatic deer feeders might work? Just a thought.
    ARR

Considering what you wrote about the timing of this bears bait barrel pattern, in conjunction with your pattern, have you considered moving your stand farther away? I think most of the other suggestions (all but one) are fine, but this smart guy might need some space.

AKmike30...Please do keep us informed in May about your efforts to whack this guy...
    dennis

This year i will have about 600 yard shooting lane. I almost got a shot at him last year. When I finally could see thru everything all saw was a black butt moving quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Considering what you wrote about the timing of this bears bait barrel pattern, in conjunction with your pattern, have you considered moving your stand farther away? I think most of the other suggestions (all but one) are fine, but this smart guy might need some space.

AKmike30...Please do keep us informed in May about your efforts to whack this guy...
    dennis

here are sum more pic of him

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Taylor you right because this picture was taken as I walking to the site. Two mins later i walked by my camara. I leave my sent everywere around my site. He just smart but i going to get him this year.

I also agree with Marc. Which way does the wind blow when you are going to your stand. If it blows from you to the bait and the bear, then the bear can tell fresh smell from old smell and gets out of there. If so, you may have to select a different route to your stand so the wind is towards you or the sides.

He may also be hearing you come and go, if so go and clean the last 500 yards to your stand of anything which will make noise as you are walking to your stand and then still hunting in very very very slowly may do the trick.

Nothing surprises me as I had a bear park himself right where I parked my truck so he saw me coming and going and just waited for me to leave before going in. I did not get that bear, as I only realized what he was up to when on the last night of the hunt I went for a leak on the far side of the truck and there was the path beaten down from the bush on the far side of my truck towards the trail I walked in every night.
    If you have the problem you have it is either he is in a position to smell you coming, hear you coming or see you coming.

Hope this helps.

Bearbob