Thread: Hey Snyd, I'm now a member of the..........

Cool Hey Snyd, I'm now a member of the..........

.45 Colt Redhawk brotherhood and I'm adopting you as my official advisor on loading the .45 Colt. Uhhh....... this is an unpaid position you understand.

Went to the gun show in Palmer last week and a 4" Redhawk fell in my lap.

I've picked up some horrendously expensive ammo to run through it just to break it in, but i knew this is going to be a reloading proposition and have been planning and gathering accordingly.

Cheap crap like the Remington garbage is $50/box, Win. cowboy is in the $40s and Ultimax is about $40.

Anyways, I have a couple boxes of heavy hitters, one being Corbon and the other AK Backpacker, both with 335gr cast bullets. I think i probably will want to duplicate one these loads for serious work.......maybe drop down in bullet weight a little to 320-325.

For general use I'd like to go with a 250-260gn load in the 900/950-1000fps range.

Your powder and load recommendations please.

Also, are magnum primers required or recommended to light off loads with H110/W296 and Lil'Gun? I find there are conflicting opinions on the subject.

What about H4227?
    Now what ?

I bought a box of Backpacker 335gr for my Ruger 45 Colt (mines a Blackhawk) and they seem like they will do the job in my BH. Unfortunately my Marlin 1894 45 Colt will have nothing to do with them, think the metplate is just too wide to cycle. I too am interested in loading some 300+gr loads that I can shoot in both guns..

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    .45 Colt Redhawk brotherhood and I'm adopting you as my official advisor on loading the .45 Colt. Uhhh....... this is an unpaid position you understand.

Went to the gun show in Palmer last week and a 4" Redhawk fell in my lap.

I've picked up some horrendously expensive ammo to run through it just to break it in, but i knew this is going to be a reloading proposition and have been planning and gathering accordingly.

Cheap crap like the Remington garbage is $50/box, Win. cowboy is in the $40s and Ultimax is about $40.

Anyways, I have a couple boxes of heavy hitters, one being Corbon and the other AK Backpacker, both with 335gr cast bullets. I think i probably will want to duplicate one these loads for serious work.......maybe drop down in bullet weight a little to 320-325.

For general use I'd like to go with a 250-260gn load in the 900/950-1000fps range.

Your powder and load recommendations please.

Also, are magnum primers required or recommended to light off loads with H110/W296 and Lil'Gun? I find there are conflicting opinions on the subject.

What about H4227?

An excellent choice in the Rehawk. I recommend mag primers for H-110/296 and those 2 are my go to powders for top performance loads on the 45 Colt

Congrats and welcome to the club! Just hope the S&W X-Frame guys don't get wind of this!

Ya, heavy boolits (300-360gr) H110/296, mag primers. DON"T load it down. Go with Hodgdon published Ruger Only load data. I haven't loaded heavies with anything else. H110 just works.

For plinkers, one of the ol standby loads is a 255gr rnfp over 8-9gr Unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Congrats and welcome to the club! Just hope the S&W X-Frame guys don't get wind of this! .

Hay I like RH too, got more Rugers than anything and I donít start these wars . . . 45 RH s a heck of a gun and I been looking for some time.

Yes mag primers, a good crimp for H110/W296 and LilGun. Load high end with H110/W296 LilGun is more forgiving on the low end.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks Snyd. Been waiting for a long time to get inducted.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Does bullet profile in the plinker load matter as long as they're the same weight?
    Now what ?

Enjoy the new age classic,I too am useing SNYD load info as my old stuff is way over the top needed
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

21.5gr H110 with a 355gr is right at about 1150fps in my 4"Redhawk. The same load is about 1200 in the 7.5 SBH. I have also loaded up a 200gr swc (45 acp boolit) over about 8 gr Unique and experimented with different seating depths. It's a pop-gun load.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I have also loaded up a 200gr swc (45 acp boolit) over about 8 gr Unique and experimented with different seating depths. It's a pop-gun load.
    I have done that but my bird popper now is 45 case 5g Bulseye and a 44 round ball. 44 round balls are .451" but soft so upset quite well, I find sprew down best since itís not getting smashed by a ramrod . . . tricky to crimp but fun stuff and cheaper than 22 if you cast!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona