Thread: Dalton highway express bus for caribou hunt ?

Default Dalton highway express bus for caribou hunt ?

In early stages of planning a self-guided caribou drop camp hunt for 2012. Trying to decide between going out of Kotzebue, Coldfoot, or Happy Valley. We are from Ohio and this would be my son's high school graduation present (also mine).

I ran across the Dalton highway express bus service. Can this be used to get from Fairbanks up to Coldfoot or Happy Valley ? Will they haul all your hunting gear, including meat and antlers on the way back to Fairbanks ?

I looked into renting a vehicle out of Fairbanks, but that could cost $800 to $1000. I also thought about flying into Deadhorse, but then you have $300 per person for transportation to/from Happy valley.

You fly directly into Kotzebue, but it sounds like there could be problems keeping the meat cold if you are delayed. Do the transporters out of Coldfood and Happy valley have freezers where you can get the Caribou meat frozen before making the long flight back home ?

Could fly into Deadhorse and fly out of Happy Valley with Mike McCray of 70 North Air taxi service and he will drive you from deadhorse to happy valley and back... See what his price is...

Coldfoot doesn't have any of the services you are looking for. If you've never been there before I don't think it is what you are thinking. Coldfoot is a gas station and diner, that's about it. Are you hunting with rifle or bow? When in 2012 are you going? How long are you staying? I usually drive up a few times a year from North Pole (Fairbanks area). Depending on when you were going in 2012 we might be able to work something. I'll be in Afghanistan until sometime next April/May. I think Happy Valley would be your best bet. Aug/Sept is a good time of year to go up. The weather is good and the bugs aren't too bad.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I was looking at Coldfoot because I think Coyote air flies out of there. We are rifle hunting and looking around first week of September. I have heard a lot of good things about Happy Valley, just trying to work out costs to get there and how to get meat/antlers back (hopefully).

Default Happy Valley

I went out of happy valley aug 23 2010. 5 days. 4 bou,1 bear,1wolf. 70 North/mike,bob is the way to go.

IMO all three are great options. Coyote air is great(really great) but cold foot will be a bit harder to get to with more driving. My family has hunted kotz with great success and you can fly right there no driving. Happy valley is a good option as you can fly into deadhorse. With that said i feel like logistically speaking kotz would be your best bet coming from lower 48. Meat care facility is going to be a problem for a three places not just kotz. Just make sure you do your homework on who you charter with it can make or break your trip. Coyote air is worth going out of coldfoot for.

I guess my main question in this post is about the "Dalton highway express bus service". Is anyone familiar with this service ? I'm trying to find out if that would be an option for transport from Fairbanks up to Coldfoot or Happy Valley.

Make it easy on yourself, fly up to Kotz, load up with Jered at Golden Eagle Air, shoot bou fly home. You will have the time of your life. Go as late as you can as the caribou seem to be moving later and later.

I have used a shuttle service on the Haul Rd in the past, let me say it is easier to fly home--that is a long road when you are tired.

Jeff

I have never heard of the Dalton Highway Express Bus before. I've never seen them on the Dalton and I've logged a lot of miles up and down that road so I can't speak about them. The website says they only run from June to August.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

If you want to fly Coyote Air book early, I tried calling in Feb last year for a late august hunt and they were all booked up. Thank goodness for Mike at 70 degree north in happy valley for hauling us in, great trip, 4 hunters and 3 full curl rams, AWESOME trip!