Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marita?

Question Marita?

So, I am shopping new/used Wooldridges and have had some preliminary dealings with Marita on a new Wooldridge.
    I must admit to not having been very impressed thus far with the level of service. Here I am kicking tires, so to speak, on a $36000 boat, and I have to keep e-mailing to get answers to my questions.
    Whats the deal on these guys? Are they that busy this time of year?
    Cheers
    Paul
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I had some bad dealings with them while getting my Zodiac repaired.
    I have never in my life seen a business so incompetent in my life..
    Don't walk,, RUN!!! away as fast as you can.
    Wish i could list all the problems i had with them right here on the public forum, as it is now this will most likly get nuked.
    I will pm you with details this evening, and anybody else that wants to know feel free to pm me..

My general experience is only about 10% of large business's will carry on a email conversation with a prospective customer. Not sure if the companies are over whelmed or they just don't care. Easier to pick up the phone and call if you are serious.
    But Marita has strick pricing in effect. I've tried to buy several large ticket items from them over the last 5-8 years and everytime they were the highest price I could find and they would not budge. I respect their choice, but I moved on.
    When I was getting ready to order my Alaskan their terms were totally unrealistic. They wanted a huge deposit and for me to pay the balance on the boat as soon as it was built, even before it arrived up here.
    Used their service department to have my Optimax rigged and the Powertran jack plate installed and that went well.
    Tennessee

In this day and age, you'd think that e-mail would be pretty much standard. For me, it ain't cheap phoning Alaska in the middle of the day.
    I can absolutely respect their pricing. If thats the price, then thats what it is; its business after all, I just wish they'd be a bit more reliable in their replies.
    I'm buying a boat, and if its not from them, its going to be someone.
    Anyhow, maybe a road trip to Anchorage soon.
    Anyone up for a beer?
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

If you are in the market search craigslist in the lower 48 or southern BC in cities close to big rivers. You can save more money that you would of thought possible. Used boats 3-4 years old with low hours are going for 50-60% of what the rig would cost new.
    Tennessee

I have had pretty good to better than average service from them. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think there is a boat dealer in town that is down right awesome, but I have purchased 2 zodiac's from them, had one of them repaired and or serviced and they are okay. If your wanting lightning service from them or anyone in town I would be shocked if you get it. It is disappointing at best, in general. But at the least I will call my contact over at Marita and express the forum concern with them.

One other thing to keep in mind is the time of year it is... Sportsman show's are on now and they are big on them and spend a lot of time right now setting up and moving boats etc for them.

I wish I had about $30mm extra laying around to open up a Alaska Big boy's toy store and focused on Sales, and more importantly service after the sale...
    Tony

as fuel prices climb if can wait it out there will be some smoking deals
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    as fuel prices climb if can wait it out there will be some smoking deals
    For sure, you just won't find them at Marita.

Haven't dealt with Marita...yet. There is a shop with a popular acronym just a few miles north of them that I WILL NOT NOT NOT give a another penny. Yukoner, you may have a better experience heading to Fairbanks? Everything I've heard on the forum is that the boat shop up there is decent, not sure if they deal in Wooly's though. I have an XS that the after-purchase service has been piss poor(in Anchorage).

The Boat Shop does deal with Wooldridge.

Thanks for the input getns. Hearing that its boat show season, well, no wonder they are busy.
    I did contact The Boat Shop, but they had nothing in stock. Not too many shops will stock high end boats on spec I imagine.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Thanks for the input getns. Hearing that its boat show season, well, no wonder they are busy.
    I did contact The Boat Shop, but they had nothing in stock. Not too many shops will stock high end boats on spec I imagine.
    I bought an EZ Loader trailer from The Boat Shop last winter. I also bought a few options to be installed before they shipped the trailer to me. They bolted on a pair of tie down attachment devices at no charge, and shipped the trailer to me in a timely manner. The trailer arrived with no damage, and with the options installed. The only wrinkle was that too few of the UHMW plastic bunk covers were installed leaving more space between them than recommended by the manufacturer. The Boat Shop made it right, however, by promptly mailing me one more pair of the bunk covers.

I think they're a good company. If I were to need a different boat or trailer in the future, I would certainly be willing to do business with them again.

Maybe it's not too late to arrange for a boat to be built by Wooldridge, and then take delivery this summer at The Boat Shop.

I live in Bethel and have bought two Wooldridges from our local dealer One 18' Extra Plus and currently waiting for My Alaskan XL SJ to get finished summer cant come fast enough. I have had only good experiences with them and they have proven to be the cheapest Wooldridge dealer in Alaska. They have told me in the past if someone none local wanted to buy a boat from them they could arrange to have one dropped at the Anchorage Dock.
    Name of dealer is Prop shop (907)543-2635 asked for Steven

HATE HATE HATE dealing with them. I wont go into it here because of forum rules.

Default Your mileage may vary

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    For sure, you just won't find them at Marita.
    I got a smokin' deal on a 15HP Tohatsu a few years back. Just a tad over a hundred bucks per horsie, which I thought and think is great. Best motor too; never a problem.

I was at Marita yesterday with a tough parts problem to solve. The parts guy knew he'd never figure it out, so he paged their parts guru (Justin?) to come help me. He found a part in stock that was made for a zodiac that will work perfectly on my big canoe. Nice out of the box thinking.

I'm happy with them. But I've never bought a boat from them.

I have had decent experiences with Marita, guys at the service counter have been great in quick parts find. Service department for sled and ATVs been great too...however I take things in during the off season for the most part. Take sleds in during JAN and ATVs in late MAY. This time of year is probably one of busy parts for boats. When I consider the other places I've taken things ERP and AKMD Marita is ranked 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
    I bought an EZ Loader trailer from The Boat Shop last winter. I also bought a few options to be installed before they shipped the trailer to me. They bolted on a pair of tie down attachment devices at no charge, and shipped the trailer to me in a timely manner. The trailer arrived with no damage, and with the options installed. The only wrinkle was that too few of the UHMW plastic bunk covers were installed leaving more space between them than recommended by the manufacturer. The Boat Shop made it right, however, by promptly mailing me one more pair of the bunk covers.

I think they're a good company. If I were to need a different boat or trailer in the future, I would certainly be willing to do business with them again.

Maybe it's not too late to arrange for a boat to be built by Wooldridge, and then take delivery this summer at The Boat Shop.

I've had very good experiences with Mike and the gang at The Boat Shop over the years.... I'd certainly check and see if in fact they could do just that for you. They have a very good working relationship with Glen Wooldridge and I'm sure if there's a way to do it they'd get it done right for you.... And you could shorten the road trip by avoiding Los Ganchorage all together

If you buy from Marita, you deserve what you get. Too many warnings out there! Absolutely, the worst buying experience of my life!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I bought my Wooly through Marita. Out of all the toy purchases I've made, Marita has provided the best, most responsive, reliable service. Hasn't been always perfect but they've listened and responded and made a special effort to get me out on the water.

I do agree with others service and parts is better than sales.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast