Thread: Ak cell phone coverage

Default Ak cell phone coverage

Not exactly a fishing question but I'm sure future fisherman might want to know what the current cell phone grid looks like in AK in its totality. Anyone have a chart or what ever to display cell phone coverage? Thanks.

Here is the map for ACS wireless. If you have verizon in the lower 48, they are in partner ship. Give the map time to load the PDF file. If your an AT&T man, your coverage will be less. Just got rid of my AT&T phone a few months ago. Don't miss it one bit.

http://soa.acsalaska.com/assets/maps...atewidemap.pdf

I heard verizon was coming too Alaska sooner than expected. Yahoo no more MTA wireless!

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

ya last fall fishing the kenai river and camping down at copper landing made me want to get rid of my ATT phone. guys from outside the state had no problem texting and talking with verizon and yet i had no reception at all.

ACS is much better here around the Kenai Peninsula--well at least around certain parts, Skilak, Upper Kenai, far north of Nikiski, out in Resurection, etc. I sure hated it when we went from ACS to ATT, but must admit its getting better all the time. We just got 3G down here and ATT is putting up towers all the time. I would bet Verizon and other out-of-state folks do so well because they pay to go over ACS' network. Not sure, but thats my speculation. If thats the case, it certainly doesn't mean thats how well their reception will be when the enter the market and have to get their own.

End of the day, I want to be able to go wherever and have cell coverage. I want an iphone 9 and to be able to put the sat phone away.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Copper Valley Wireless (google for coverage map) covers Cordova to Glennallen to Valdez, and outside Verizon phones and partners of Verizon seem to work well. This also gives you cell phone coverage in Prince William Sound, there is a tower out on Naked Island in the middle of PWS. Does NOT work on ATT! I have a Verizon partner phone and it works here and all over Alaska wherever there is cell phone coverage.

GCI is pretty good... if only they still had an analogue signal
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I have CONSUMER CELLULAR- I think they buy tower space from just about all the major carriers. I know I have a great coverage area in the lower 48. In Alaska the only time I have had any problems is at the place we stayed in Cooper Landing last year. Strange thing was if I went 100 feet up, down, front, or back of the lodge- I had moderate coverage.
    I have used my phone along the highway in / near the towns of Anchorage, Whittier, Seward, Cooper Landing, Sterling, Soldotna, Kasilof, & Homer to the south and Wasilla & Healy to the north. Reception was great along the Kenai & Kasilof Rivers.

I have AT&T and I do not have coverage on the Copper, PWS and the Seward Highway from around Placer river to cooper landing. Any prepaid plans have that coverage? Thanx

Bob.....a Verizon pre-paid should work in both areas for you! Nope....I have no releationship to ANY cell phone company. Verizon works great on my mountain home in ID and everywhere I go in AK...Actually, I don't even have Verizon, it is a local ID company, Inland Cellular, but a Verizon partner, shares their towers, that's what matters. So if you find a company with a pre-pay that works on Verizon, it should do the job.

the prepaid phones are different; they don't necessarily share towers like a non-prepaid phone, unless someone knows for sure that a particular phone does. I can tell you for sure that a ATT prepaid doesn't work like an ATT-non-prepaid phone in terms of coverage, because I have one.

I'd also like to know the answer from someone who actually has a verizon prepaid phone and uses it up there (not some second hand opinion of a sales person - they give different answers every other time I ask).

With Verizon saying they are coming to Alaska, I would not be surprised to see them buy ACS. They are partners already for roaming, but them coming to Alaska and competing with ACS I imagine would cause problems in that partnership. On another note, AT&T has been fairly aggressive in upgrading their network, ACS has bee very stagnant in growth and performance improvements, which i believe is due to the limited capital of being a small company. I personally think AT&T will surpass ACS in both, but a Verizon purchase of ACS would be a game changer. My opinion at least...

If your an iPhone user, I'd have some reservations about the CDMA version of the iPhone (Verizon and coming soon to ACS). It definately has some limitations.

~AKBoatR

I used to have Verizon and I couldn't get reception at Clear Creek (Talkeetna) where I spend a week each year. I have AT&T now and it works there but not the other places in question. Stiil looking for a difinitive answer to the prepaid phone idea for the places I previously mentioned

Default AT&T vs Verizon

I bought a prepaid AT&T phone, worked in Anchorage, does not work in Cordova although I know that AT&T contract users phones work in Cordova as well as Prince William Sound. Last summer I used a straight talk phone which uses Verizon towers and it worked in Cordova, not so well on sound (my phone was a cheap one though). I am going to buy a prepaid Verizon and see if I have better luck. Cell service with Copper Valley Wireless and Cordova Wireless is ridiculously expensive.

So, let me see if I have this straight: In Cordova, ATT is out. ACS works? I'm going to be there all summer hopefully, but I have AT&T. Cordova looks totally blank on their coverage map. Should I just get a prepaid ACS phone? I have to be able to communicate back and forth with the wife.

Back when I got my first cell phone (~1997) ACS definitely had the best coverage, advertising coverage in most of Cook Inlet, Res Bay. It was analog then, and I had service in Valdez too. Never tried Cordova. I was able to get coverage on the north side of the AK Range too, by climbing a hill a bit. Now with digital, no signal there, even from the top of the mountain. Still good coverage where I fish most, but very spotty in PWS.

Can't comment on how the others have expanded their coverage, or who shares towers with whom.

I go to AK to AVOID the cell phone coverage. It really irks me that towers have been installed along the Inside Passage and I now receive VMs, emails, texts, etc when I am fishing.

Although - it is kind of nice poking at my co-workers when I pull up a full crab pot or land a nice fish then send them a pic from my blackberry.................