Thread: Powder For 7mm WSM & 168gr Berger Bullets???

Default Powder For 7mm WSM & 168gr Berger Bullets???

Hi all! I'm trying to work up loads for my 7mm WSM. I've tried to exhaustion to make 150 Scirocco 2s shoot. I have a 1 in 9" twist rate, so I'm switching to 168 grain Berger VLD Hunting Bullets. Any experience with this bullet in this cartridge or advice on powders? Right now I'm looking at AA Magpro, H4350, and IMR7828 SSC. Thanks.

Brett

I have no experience with the 7mm WSM but I would try Reloader 17. It has excelled in both velocity and accuracy in every rifle I have used it in, to include 270wsm, 300wsm, 325wsm. It is designed for the WSM, and is temperature stable.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have no experience with the 7mm WSM but I would try Reloader 17. It has excelled in both velocity and accuracy in every rifle I have used it in, to include 270wsm, 300wsm, 325wsm. It is designed for the WSM, and is temperature stable.

Good Luck

Steve
    +1 Same here, dont have a 7mmWSM but RL17 should be the stuff you need.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I had no luck getting a 270 to shoot the Scirrocos recently so I feel your pain, likely an excellent bullet if they would just shoot. Anyway I have no experience with a 7WSM but have loaded for and shot a 7 RSaum a good bit and I had the best luck with H4350. Shot good and gave good velocity as well. I was using the 160 partition but I still think H4350 will be a good bet, besides what reloaded doesn't keep a can of 4350 around for emergencies, heck I didn't know there was anything else until I had been loading for 5 years.

Email me in 3 or 4 months and I will be glad to share my experience. I recently picked up a 7mm WSM in a Kimber 8400 Montana and will be looking for an accurate load but have not yet started to reload for it. All of the above suggestioned powders have been mentioned in various reloading manuals that I am looking at. My preference in 7mm for Alaska is a 160 grain bullet but that doesn't always work out. I have a 7mm Dakota that likes several flavors of 160 grain. A 7mm RUM in a Rem AWR just wouldn't shoot 160 gr bullets no matter what I tried and I was beginning to wonder about perhaps the scope or rifle accuracy when on a whim I tried some of the 150 gr Sciroccos. In the past I have never had good luck with Sciroccos but with this rifle I am able to consistently put 5 shots into an 1" .... at 200 yds - go figure. For my 7mm WSM I am prob going to start with 150 gr. Sciroccos and Mag Pro and pending results poss next try RL 17 or Hodgdon's Super Performance. Good Luck - no doubt the perfect load exists .... finding it is the challenge ... and the source of self satisfaction!
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

shphtr,

Private message sent.

Brett

H4831 SC and H1000 are excellent choices for the 160 - 180's in 7 WSM.

Here's a great article for your viewing pleasure. http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek064.html

I owned, handloaded, and shot four different 7WSM rifles: Kimber Montana, Winchester Model 70 classic, a custom built on a Remington 700 WSM titanium action, and a Surgeon F-class heavyweight. Kimber and Winchester I mostly played with 120-160 TSXs (hunting) and 162A-Max for distance practice. The Remington was my lightweight long range rig for winter wolf (PRP) and I strictly loaded and shot 162A-Max. The Surgeon I had was built for the 180gr BergerVLDs but I did try some 175SMKs. During this time I was shooting competively and kept extensive computer rifle logs and load data (all lost when I switched over to Apple). RL-17 was not out yet when I was working with these rifles, but I tried both 19 and 22. I do know that H4350 and H4831SC gave good results. For the heavy bullets 175 and 180s RL 25 worked well. TS

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Timber Smith,

How far off the lands were you shooting the Bergers?

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Good Luck

Steve
    I agree that RL17 gives excellent velocity results but I have read a lot of mixed reviews on it's stability. I have not tested it yet for temp stability, have you? If you have I would be interested in the results.

RL17 would be the first powder I would try with the 7WSM and 168 Bergers and H1000 would be the second. Actually, Hodgdon's Super Performance powder would be second if I could get some.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Timber Smith,

Brett
    Here is an article written on...

"Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from VLD bullets in Your Rifle"

by Eric Stecker of Berger Bullets

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...r-rifle-40204/

My only testing with the temperature stability of Reloader 17 has been field related. So if hunting is the goal I feel that R-17 is plenty temp stable for me at least. It is JMHO that it will be the new equivalent to the versatility of 4350. Good luck on finding a load that works for you.

Spring approximately 40 degrees, shot distance 250 yards.

Late summer approximately 60 degrees, first shot 300 yards, last 427 yards.

Fall but very warm day approximately 70 degrees, shot 75 yards.

Oct Goat hunt very cold day about 15 degrees. Shot approximately 200 yards.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Timber Smith,

Brett
    Kissing the lands, as per recommendation. The Surgeon was custom built and throated for this bullet. TS

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII