Thread: Copperhead 12hp on a Scott Hudson Bay?

Default Copperhead 12hp on a Scott Hudson Bay?

Anybody done this combo yet? Do you need the short shaft transom? Does it fit in the cutout transom and give you full range of motion? How about performance numbers and fuel burn.....I know lots of questions......

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Anybody done this combo yet? Do you need the short shaft transom? Does it fit in the cutout transom and give you full range of motion? How about performance numbers and fuel burn.....I know lots of questions......
    I would guess it hasn't been done as Gill n Betsy have only had them in production since January. I'm the first guy in Alaska to get the 12hp one, they haven't even made their way up here yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I would guess it hasn't been done as Gill n Betsy have only had them in production since January. I'm the first guy in Alaska to get the 12hp one, they haven't even made their way up here yet.
    Lets try it on my Albany. I'd love to see that.

So mainer what transom is needed for the 12hp? How about fuel economy with that unit?

I would guess the range to be between 14"-19" transom (adjustable trim). The motor should burn about a 1/2 gallon of fuel per hour at wide open throttle. I can't give exact numbers because I haven't even hit the water yet, I'll write up a more accurate report in the summer. It's difficult to share knowledge without experience to back it up. This is the first time I've ever gone to a mud motor for a sport canoe.

Sounds like you would need the cutout short transom on the HB....Thanks for the info Mainer....

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Sounds like you would need the cutout short transom on the HB....Thanks for the info Mainer....
    Guy on here by the name of Kandik who I've chatted with in detail before I made my purchase decision runs an 18 horse mud buddy mini on his hudson bay on a stock transom with no issues. No mods. required. I like to have a stationary adjustable transom on any canoe regardless of the motor I use anyways. I'd like to get with him and test the difference between his 18 horse mud buddy, and my 12 hp. copperhead due to the fact that the wide open throttle of my motor is about 1000 rpm's more, the prop is two inches taller, and 40 lbs. lighter than his motor. Hopefully him and I can meet to test the difference on the Tanana or something with his hudson bay fully loaded to simulate having a quartered moose load.

One of our forum posters here has purchased a MudBuddy Mini HD with 23 hp to try on his HudsonBay this summer. I'm planning on using my Yamaha 15 hp 2 stroke on my HB this summer, and purchasing a surface drive next summer. Don't know which motor yet, but I hope to make a more informed choice with benefit of the experience from this summer of Mainer, FamilyMan, Klingel and Kandik, et al. Part of my intended use is on the Yukon - bigger water and stronger current.

By the way, I have a Dolefin on the anti-cavitation plate of my 15. On my !9'er, the wing starts raising the stern of the canoe at about 10 mph ... they work. They cause the stern of my 19'er to virtually get on step. Should work well on a HudsonBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    By the way, I have a Dolefin on the anti-cavitation plate of my 15. On my !9'er, the wing starts raising the stern of the canoe at about 10 mph ... they work. They cause the stern of my 19'er to virtually get on step. Should work well on a HudsonBay.
    Nice. Yeah, mainer has tried to convince me to do that (and succeeded; he knows his stuff) but I have a river runner protector on there now, so I'm not sure they'll co-exist. Has anyone done this?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Nice. Yeah, mainer has tried to convince me to do that (and succeeded; he knows his stuff) but I have a river runner protector on there now, so I'm not sure they'll co-exist. Has anyone done this?
    FamilyMan,

A dole fin/stingray type device is beneficial to a sport canoe regardless of the presence of a Mac's River Runner Prop Protector. When you are pushing 10 mph against a strong current, the stern stays nice and high instead of barging down (digging) into the water. The device also help keep water down near you prop when you are running a lift transom. It seems to minimize much needed water from being lost in real shallow sections that help fight cavitation during tight turns

Default gettin' all set up

Yeah, told ya you already sold me on it. But it'll co-exist with the river runner? Does it go above the present cavitation plate?

You know I have a bow in the air problem and this will help it without resorting to loading a few hundred pounds of ballast up front when running alone. If it'll run on my motor as is, I'm in today. Buy it online or somewhere in town? Might as well have this discussion publicly, as there's probably more than just me with this problem to solve.

btw, I got 16 homemade-sorta D rings to go on the inside, as I mount the new spray rails. And almost all the hardware (Thanks Alaska raft and kayak) for some small oars to mount. I've always wanted to try that on my Albany.

This next year is going to be all new, with this all new setup. And I loved it before.

I have a modified RockHopper on my Yamaha 15, which bolts to the underside of the anti-cav. plate. The dolefin bolts to the topside of the anti-cav. plate, without interference. Works well.

Waiting to pick up the albany and there is a copperhead rep 3 hours away. His shop is on the mississippi and if I bring my boat he will slap it on for me for a test drive. I have a 18 hp Go Devil surface drive on another boat that I think would be to heavy at 220 pounds. I have various outboards at my disposal to try out. bob

Default 200# too heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by bobw View Post
    Waiting to pick up the albany and there is a copperhead rep 3 hours away. His shop is on the mississippi and if I bring my boat he will slap it on for me for a test drive. I have a 18 hp Go Devil surface drive on another boat that I think would be to heavy at 220 pounds. I have various outboards at my disposal to try out. bob
    That might very well be too heavy... but if I owned one, I'd at least try it out.

My 15 HP 4 stroke Tohatsu weighs in at 124 # I think. I've had it in the half-up position, and it's prop not getting enough bite, and I sat on top of the outboard for an extended time. I never once thought I was going over.

So 124# plus my 200# on top of it makes 324#.

One thing that might be badder than what I did though is when you turn with it. It might exert a sidewards pressure a lot higher than the setup I'm talking about, making you more tippy, so be careful and have a backup plan in case of capsize if you do.

Also, you might want to put 3 or 5 5 gallon buckets filled with water up in the bow for ballast to help level it and keep the bow out of the air.

And don't forget the pictures too, either way.

Is he a new rep down in Illinois that also sells those phowler duck boats? He might have a 12hp in stock. I know that there are very few of em in circulation yet, because they are in massive demand and just got on the water. We don't even have open water up here yet, so that is the biggest issue right now. It's going to be another 2-3 weeks before Familyman and I will even have water to do a test run in his boat, and on mine.

Yes its Phowler boats. He has a 12 I believe in stock for testing his new line of small skiffs. I spoke to him the other day and told me to come out for a test. At the time I was looking to add this on the grumman 19 then this albany fell into my lap. We have open water so it should be a nice test. I hope to document it all for you folks. bob

Yes its Phowler boats. He has a 12 I believe in stock for testing his new line of small skiffs. I spoke to him the other day and told me to come out for a test. At the time I was looking to add this on the grumman 19 then this albany fell into my lap. We have open water so it should be a nice test. I hope to document it all for you folks. bob

Yes, please do this, it's a rough time of year watching all this 4 ft. thick ice and waiting weeks for it to melt. I still have a couple good ice fishing runs to make while waiting for break-up though.

Thanks, bobw....would appreciate any reports on the performance of that 12hp copperhead motor...