Thread: Kenai, Alaska Salmon Fishing Guide?

Default Kenai, Alaska Salmon Fishing Guide?

I was wondering has anyone heard of or used Alaska Fish On Charters out of Kenai? Or could anyone recommend a guide service for Silver Salmon, Rainbow Trout and maybe Halibut during August or September?

Thanks

Let's Fish Guide Services is a great guide that I've gone with a few times. The owner Dave Wilson can be reached at letsfish05@yahoo.com
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Rainbows or dollies in Aug/Sept, I would do a drift boat float on the Upper Kenai. Troutfitters of Cooper Landing, google that for their site.

Salmon, Jimmie Jack Charters for middle/lower river.

Halibut, Marvin of Ebbtide Charters or Puffin Charters. Marvin fishes near Homer, Puffin is out of Seward.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Fish On Charters is that Gary Kernan? If so he has been around a long time for a reason and would be good to go with for silvers on the lower Kenai.

I would recommend Andy Szczesny of Alaska Fish n Float for the Upper Kenai as he is one of the best in that area (has one the 13 Upper Kenai permits for the Refuge area). 262-9439.

For the Middle Kenai I would get someone that actually fishes there more than a couple of times a season. Jimmie Jack is a great guide but he mostly fishes the lower Kenai or Kasilof. Fenton Brothers, Big Sky, Boo Kandas, & Jeff Moore are a few that know the middle pretty good for both silvers n trout.

I agree with iceblue for Andy in the upper river, Gary is also a very good fishermen and will show you a good time and get you fish in the lower.
    For the middle you couldn't go wrong with Steve McClure, he has fished it as long as anyone and is known in the guide community as a top silver fisherman, and he can put you on trout like no other as well. I can tell you that when other guides talk about another guide and how good he is at silvers, it is saying something about Steve's ability.

Yes it is with Gary. Thanks for the reply's i think we will be booking with them. Is it too late in the season for Silvers and Halibut if we go in the middle of September?

Thanks again

We have fished with Piscatorial Pursuits the past 2 years toward the end of August. The owner Bob drifts the Kasilof for silvers during that time, and is probably the best guide on that river. The Kasilof is nice and quiet (drift boat only), and offers excellent silver fishing. They also hooked us up with Nate Corr of Nate's guide service, because we wanted to check out the Kenai. Nate is a great guide, and is very easy going. He also has a really nice willie predator to fish from.
    Good luck, have a blast

Middle of September is a good time to plan on coming to fish the Kenai for silvers. Fishing is fishing so you just never know but "late ariving" silvers (what ADF&G calls them instead of the second run) should be around in numbers at that time.

Halibut is tougher in September but if you can get out fishing (weather) than you should get your halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    Middle of September is a good time to plan on coming to fish the Kenai for silvers. Fishing is fishing so you just never know but "late ariving" silvers (what ADF&G calls them instead of the second run) should be around in numbers at that time.

Halibut is tougher in September but if you can get out fishing (weather) than you should get your halibut.
    In addition the middle of September is a great time for a middle river Silver/trout combo. I much prefer the middle river that time of year, a lot more opportunity in that section of river.

Ninilchik Charters does fishing on the rivers for silvers at that time. If you are looking at halibut & silvers, I know they run out of Seward during that time.

I have to second the recommendation for Steve McClure, my family has used him and his wife Rondie exclusively for the last 15 years. The guy just knows salmon and trout and will work his butt off to be sure that you are satisfied. Not to mention that he is just a class act anyhow and really knows how to have a good conversation on the water.