Thread: Bear/wildlife viewing in Kodiak

Default Bear/wildlife viewing in Kodiak

My dads coming up for 10 days or so this summer and I am trying to plan atleast 4-5 days in Kodiak. Due to some of my dads medical issues the bare-bones cabins aren't an option, we need to have electricity, so we'd ideally be staying in Kodiak at a bed & breakfast or someplace similar.

Any suggestions on reasonable places to stay or a cheap option for viewing wildlife & bears that isn't $1k a day? We are both very much into hiking, wildlife & photography, however with the cost of my dads plane ticket up to AK, as well as the ferry back & forth we are definitely on a bit of a budget.

Any input appreciated...thanks.

Kodiak, Ak

Can't really advise on the B&B's in town tho there are some really good ones,
    might look for folks who have been doing it for a while, for good hosts with good advise on places to go, etc.
    Even to the point of asking how long they've lived in Kodiak.
    (sorry I can't give more but if I had a phone book around I could suggest a few, but I'm down south right now)

For Bear Viewing on the inexpensive end, plan on spending some time on the Buskin River, fishing for Salmon,
    seem to be a pretty common thing to run into Bears you could both View and Photograph out there,
    That's right on the edge of town, basically a freebie

What time of summer are you planning for ?? Bears are down on the river July - Sept.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !