Thread: Decent Shore Fishing

Default Decent Shore Fishing

Living in Anchorage from Homer...

Searching for out of the way spots with out too much people to bother with, to get away from it all.

Also know any good fishing/camping areas that receive less traffic? We tend to be the mellow, quiet, like to leave things clean like we found them type folks...

Unhappy no giving away secrets huh?

Quote Originally Posted by faemystique
    Living in Anchorage from Homer...

Searching for out of the way spots with out too much people to bother with, to get away from it all.

Also know any good fishing/camping areas that receive less traffic? We tend to be the mellow, quiet, like to leave things clean like we found them type folks...

Well it was worth a shot...

haha

Carey

Default camping/fishing...

I would suggest the following publications:

Highway Angler (can't remember the author). Lists most if not all of the road access to fishing spots in Alaska.

Alaska Gazzetteer. Statewide (somewhat) detailed map that lists every public and a lot of private campgrounds. Plus, it shows a slew of the dirt roads coming off the highways where you can pull off and find a place to spend the night.

Personally I like the lakes in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. They are a 2-3 hour drive from Anchorage, and can take an hour so to paddle/portage into. That said the wild rainbows are great fishing/eating, and you'll mostly have the lakes to yourself.

Any waters that have salmon running in them, stay away from as they'll be crowded. Go after the less popular species and you can have the waters to yourself. Most lakes hold fish, and if the only access is via foot or canoe with more than 1/2 mile to get to it, you can pretty well bet to have it to yourself.

Thumbs up Sounds great...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser
    I would suggest the following publications:

Highway Angler (can't remember the author). Lists most if not all of the road access to fishing spots in Alaska.

Alaska Gazzetteer. Statewide (somewhat) detailed map that lists every public and a lot of private campgrounds. Plus, it shows a slew of the dirt roads coming off the highways where you can pull off and find a place to spend the night.
    Will check Tidal Wave and see if we can't pick these up.

I have lived in Homer for 5 years now, and I am a camping fishing addict back home in Wisconsin. I am just now starting to be able to get back out in the woods and so am anxious to find spots like I knew back home, with less people in them.

These books/publications sound like they could certainly point me in the right direction. We love hiking and biking too, so that is a plus.

Thanks!

Wink Yeah, thats what I am thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H
    Personally I like the lakes in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. They are a 2-3 hour drive from Anchorage, and can take an hour so to paddle/portage into. That said the wild rainbows are great fishing/eating, and you'll mostly have the lakes to yourself.

Any waters that have salmon running in them, stay away from as they'll be crowded. Go after the less popular species and you can have the waters to yourself. Most lakes hold fish, and if the only access is via foot or canoe with more than 1/2 mile to get to it, you can pretty well bet to have it to yourself.
    I have no problem with that! I was hoping to go for pike and rainbows/ dollies and grayling... I figure we can get salmon in there sometime if they start running decent... but yeah, there should be plenty of fish to be had that will satisfy me off the beaten path!

Carey