Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: What is in a fly....?

  1. #1

    Default What is in a fly....?

    Hi guys,

    Please excuse my ignorance on the subject of fly fishing by asking this question. Why the debate of beads in fly fishing? I mean seen a few people that don't want to use beads because it isn't really a fly. They consider themselves "purists". I guess fly fishing started in Europe by guys trying to make their feathered hooks imitate bugs because that's what fish like to eat. So if it is a matter of imitating a food source what's the big deal about using beads??? Why limit yourself to feathers (or whatever flies are made of these days)? Why is a spun glo bug more acceptable than a bead? Because of the material? This is so strange to me!

  2. #2
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    to me a bead is something you buy, a globug (or illiamna pinky) is something you make. I also think beads give the fish so little chance, they are just so so deadly effective so on uber pressured streams like the kenai I think they could do some damage to the fishery. I'll use beads when I'm imitating eggs, but I'd much prefer to fish dry flies. Feel like I'm in the minority about that up here.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  3. #3
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Really? You're the minority in that you'd rather use dries than beads? That's freakin' ridiculous to think that you are one of few that think like that. Everyone single person on here would rather catch fish on a dry as opposed to using beads. It just ain't possible sometimes and when it's not possible, you need to find something that is. If the fish are biting beads and NOT dries, you DON'T use dries. Common freakin' sense. I don't even know what else to say about it....you strike again man....
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  4. #4
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Powdermonkey doesn't like using his beads for fishing. He prefers them in a more intimate capacity. Besides he doesn't like separating them from the string because they're way to hard to.. uh um retrieve yeah thats it. I know what he is saying though, when you can get into bows on dries thats gotta be the ultimate





    I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    690

    Default

    I'm sure this is how everyone thinks, or really close to anyways. No sense in arguing.

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    to me a bead is something you buy, a globug (or illiamna pinky) is something you make. I also think beads give the fish so little chance, they are just so so deadly effective so on uber pressured streams like the kenai I think they could do some damage to the fishery. I'll use beads when I'm imitating eggs, but I'd much prefer to fish dry flies. Feel like I'm in the minority about that up here.

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Here we go again, to bead or not to bead...

    Can you say match the hatch?

    Personal preference, spin or fly, bait or lure, natural or synthetic, wet or dry, bought or hand made bla, bla, bla.

    Please, let's not get ugly, we all choose based on our own reasons, it's not wrong, it's just fishing...

    Been fishing with tons of fishers and most all have different reasons why we are addicted.

    Why can we just LOVE?

    Just a fun rant I made choosing to speak and not be silent so let the beating begin.

    George

    p.s. Here is a suggestion for those not wanted to fish an imitation egg. Fish a nymph behind spawing salmon, you are down in trout's face and the salmon are chumming it up..

  7. #7
    Member 900fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Menominee, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    Ill fish them all as long as it produce's.....As it goes the "Tug Is The Drug". now ive never caught a fish on a bead but have caught huge browns and steelies on size 10 glo bugs. yet im still not byass to either side. go with what is working and what your confident in.

    -Tight Lines.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

  8. #8

    Default

    Thanks for the good points. Lots of insight here. Its all in the perspective I guess. Just wondered that if these early guys over in England had started their sport using beads or something else synthetic instead of flies, how would we view our preferances today? I like the point that we should all just get along and enjoy the sport for what it is instead of worrying about doing something "wrong". Anyone see that guy on Deep creek last year just slaying the kings using a spinner with his fly rod??? Seen guys using roe balls with their rods too. It's so funny.

  9. #9
    Member G_Smolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    5819'59"N 13429'49"W
    Posts
    413

    Default

    It's fishing, people, not rocket surgery.

    Lots of folks fish whatever it takes to make a fish bite...lots of folks fish what they want, and make the fish bite it.

    Winter can't be over soon enough.

  10. #10

    Default

    Winter can't be over soon enough
    amen to that!

  11. #11
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Really? You're the minority in that you'd rather use dries than beads?
    if people wanted to catch fish on dries they'd use dries, the amount of people who just cannot wait for the "bead bite" is insane... I dread the "bead bite" I also catch fish (even big fish) on dries every month of the summer, I also plan my trips around bugs and not beads like everyone else in AK... Suits me fine, keep thinking dries don't work.

    Bottom line is a bead is not a fly, even the BOF agrees
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    552

    Default

    I like your thinking George! Makes sense and easy meal for a trout/dollie.

    I like beads over glow bugs because I never deep hook any fish. In a previous life I was dry fly snob but here in Kodiak, I would be a fishless loser if I stuck with my old ways ;-)

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Here in Kodiak I have yet to see a "hatch" and I spend a lot of time on the water. Trust me, i am a lookin. I do catch quite a few on nymphs (which nobody here ever uses).

    What hatches are you hitting? Not that I am going to get on the ferry and run you over to get to the stream, I am just really curious.

  14. #14
    Member jockomontana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seward
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    I like your thinking George! Makes sense and easy meal for a trout/dollie.

    I like beads over glow bugs because I never deep hook any fish. In a previous life I was dry fly snob but here in Kodiak, I would be a fishless loser if I stuck with my old ways ;-)
    Nobody likes to be a fishless loser! Fishing (to me) is all about adaptation anyway... matching the hatch, adapting to conditions, evolving your technique... etc. Personally, I've come a long way from digging in my dad's garden for nightcrawlers... but fond fish memories nonetheless!

    Its too bad ADFG BOF whatever doesnt allow two-hook rigs... you could do a dry fly indicator/bead dropper, Montucky style... and test which the trout prefer... looking up or looking down, carbs or protein... coke or pepsi...

  15. #15

    Default

    There are oppurtunities on kodiak to fish dries and see hatches but the latter is somewhat limited. The only consistent hatches i see on the road system are caddis on some of the stocked trout lakes on calm mornings in mid to late summer which can be a blast but even then i'd rather fish a big string leech and search for a fish over 23 inches.

    Another oppurtunity is to fish dries without hatches for dollies when the pinks are thick. There is a little surface activity and the big dollies are right in with the pinks so dries are your best option to catch big fish on small dries (18 -26 inches) without snagging pinks all day long.

    going back to the original question I fish on my own terms to catch fish. I fish what i think is acceptable as fly fishing and don't give a **** what others think. IMHO a glo bug isn't more acceptable than a bead and that's all that matters is my opinion. If someone looks down on me for putting on a bead than so be it. I'm all about having fun but i'm also about catching fish! If there is a situation where i'll do just as well or better swinging a big ol leech for trout as fishing beads then i'll go with that as it's my favorite way to fish. However if the fish are in bead mode as much as i love swinging if i'm gonna catch way more and bigger fish on beads thats what i'll do

  16. #16
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    if people wanted to catch fish on dries they'd use dries, the amount of people who just cannot wait for the "bead bite" is insane... I dread the "bead bite" I also catch fish (even big fish) on dries every month of the summer, I also plan my trips around bugs and not beads like everyone else in AK... Suits me fine, keep thinking dries don't work.

    Bottom line is a bead is not a fly, even the BOF agrees
    All powpow has to do when he wants to match the hatch is turn around and see what swarming around the seat of his britches.

    Fishon!





    I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

  17. #17
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    if people wanted to catch fish on dries they'd use dries, the amount of people who just cannot wait for the "bead bite" is insane... I dread the "bead bite" I also catch fish (even big fish) on dries every month of the summer, I also plan my trips around bugs and not beads like everyone else in AK... Suits me fine, keep thinking dries don't work.

    Bottom line is a bead is not a fly, even the BOF agrees
    Apparently you didn't read what I wrote, or you couldn't comprehend it. Not once did I say that dries don't work. I even said that there's not a single person on here that would rather catch a fish on a dry as opposed to a bead. When the fish aren't eating bugs on the surface, there's no sense in using them. You use what the fish are biting (like you said, matching the hatch). Or I might just start willing fish onto the end of my fly line like you do oh Great One....
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  18. #18
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Apparently you didn't read what I wrote, or you couldn't comprehend it. Not once did I say that dries don't work. I even said that there's not a single person on here that would rather catch a fish on a dry as opposed to a bead. When the fish aren't eating bugs on the surface, there's no sense in using them. You use what the fish are biting (like you said, matching the hatch). Or I might just start willing fish onto the end of my fly line like you do oh Great One....
    Hello sir,
    This is Kenaibow Fan, I am APM's agent, APM is currently to busy catching fish by matching the hatch with things flying around his back side to respond to your belittling comment.....oh and he said he is a kind of a big deal....thanks!

  19. #19
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    beads and dries (head shake) .....i roll eskimo fly
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  20. #20
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    I dont play with my fly rod as much as some people do......but when i do pull it out I get plenty of action.....


    just to throw this out there.....I use my 5W with a sinking tip to fish roe, single salmon eggs and nightcrawlers on a single hook, small spinners, spoons , dry and wet flies, beads, and even plugs.....thats right......it works well for me and I can feel every little bump and hit....and I catch plenty of fish....jus sayin, you should try it sometime.....on really lightweight gear in a fast moving stream, the sinking tip gets it down lower without having to use a sinker, so i have more sensitivity on a really light hit from say a grayling or whitefish....

    dont criticize me either.......Ill fish how I want to as long as its legal!



    Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •