Thread: C Map chart card in your plotters

Default C Map chart card in your plotters

Are many of you guys using the C Map chart cards in your plotters? Are you using the NT, Max or fishing contour versions?? Got a new plotter and i need to get a card for it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Come on let the secret chart out of the bag!! Somebody must be using these cards??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I run both the nt+ and have a contour card as well. The Nt+ shows better detail when closer to shore and in the bays, coves.......the contour card really comes into play fishing and shrimping in the deeper areas. It may be my 2003 plotter having trouble with the contour card though on the laptop it is no better in close. Your welcome to try mine out in your plotter before you buy.....shoot me a p.m. and we can work something out.

Steve...I haven't used C-map, but recently was looking at either the bluechart g2 or the g2 vision cards for my unit. They had both in stock at westmarine and were happy to pop each into one of their display units to let me check them out, zoom in, and scan around to see firsthand the differences of each...

Thanks for the info guys, its a furuno plotter so i guess the bluecharts won't work in it. If your at any of the shows please stop by and we'll bs a bit!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Steve...I haven't used C-map, but recently was looking at either the bluechart g2 or the g2 vision cards for my unit. They had both in stock at westmarine and were happy to pop each into one of their display units to let me check them out, zoom in, and scan around to see firsthand the differences of each...
    I've got the G2 bluevision card in my Garmin. Its the cats meow. I love the fish eye view. Next best thing to being under the water with scuba gear.

I have C charts in a big standard horizon chart plotter. Next time I'm down at the boat I'll look to see what one I have.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    So which one did you get?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    So which one did you get?
    I ended up getting the G2. Some of the extra Vision stuff I really didn't care about anyway and on my older unit (gpsmap 520) I can't utilize the 3-d bathymetry (which I wanted for PWS).

I was really interested in comparing them for the inland basemap of the Yukon (I've mentioned this in one of the other threads). Neither the G2 or Vision had anything decent...and if I remember correctly, on the Vision card, the world "ended" and there was no map at all for the interior/northern parts of the State...so I also ended up downloading the free topo for my handheld to bring along for the river trips.

How much was WM Asking for the bluechart G2? Did you get the entire US (HXUS039R US G2 ?

I found them online for 140$.....shipped to AK. I am not interested in spending 270$ for one...I already have $1K into the GPS and can't justify any extra cost....

I haven't checked ebay yet - I would surely like to try a trial copy of one out for a week.....LOL.

Yeah Steve, I have a Furuno GP 7000 fs, It's a plotter/sounder, and I am using the NT card, pretty happy with the detail,

haven't tried any of the others you mention tho, the NT is surprisingly detailed even offshore with Bathymetric contours,

Of course it depends on the area, how well it's been charted, there are a lot of gaps going out west,
    but for your area I bet it will be pretty impressive

I would say, if you can find someone in your harbor or close that actually has one plugged in and you can look around on, go for it. Make sure and zoom in really close, as new and entirely better charts come up that'll surprise, (or maybe disappoint ya) when you see them.

Those cards always seem like kind of a crapshoot to me, for the areas they include and your specific areas of interest, well, who knows, til you actually see it.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    How much was WM Asking for the bluechart G2? Did you get the entire US (HXUS039R US G2 ?

I found them online for 140$.....shipped to AK. I am not interested in spending 270$ for one...I already have $1K into the GPS and can't justify any extra cost....

I haven't checked ebay yet - I would surely like to try a trial copy of one out for a week.....LOL.
    Yes, that's the exact one I got. 149.99 (they gave me the catalog/internet price at the store).

I have used Navionics Gold for years and now have a unit that I use the Navionics Platinum. Very good detail and very good coverage all the way down to BC. An other thing that I like is they will take back an old card on trade ($75) for a new updated card. My next purchase is the side scan.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I should have a navionics platnum in the mailbox either today or tomorrow! Hope it's as good as everybody says it is for SE AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

only a grand into the GPS?? i'm spending $1700 just for the transducer for my fishfinder!! I'm going to see the antenna's on them saltwater cockroaches

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Yeah Steve, I have a Furuno GP 7000 fs, It's a plotter/sounder, and I am using the NT card, pretty happy with the detail,

haven't tried any of the others you mention tho, the NT is surprisingly detailed even offshore with Bathymetric contours,

Of course it depends on the area, how well it's been charted, there are a lot of gaps going out west,
    but for your area I bet it will be pretty impressive

I would say, if you can find someone in your harbor or close that actually has one plugged in and you can look around on, go for it. Make sure and zoom in really close, as new and entirely better charts come up that'll surprise, (or maybe disappoint ya) when you see them.

Those cards always seem like kind of a crapshoot to me, for the areas they include and your specific areas of interest, well, who knows, til you actually see it.
    I'm going to look around and do my homework before i jump into any card. My new(to me) rig has a GP7000F on it, should work good for the sound and i'm going to stick a Furuno FCV 295 fishfinder on it. I'll be able to see between the nooks and crannies with that unit.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

That's interesting, the same unit, that GP 7000 is a real nice equipment, you're gonna like it I bet

and the Sounder part is state of the art, the main reason I bought it, and I really am impressed.
    Especially in shallows, from rockfish clusters to good definition of bottom composition, Top Notch for sure
    and mine is excellent even down to Sablefish depths

I also bought a high end transducer, can't remember the numbers on it but was a great investment,

Congrats, on that "NICE" side benefit of your new rig
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I run a GP7000F and it does all I need and MORE . I also run the NT+ card for the entire Gulf Coast , also ran the West Coast card and that sucker was awesome.
    I'm running a Transom mount Airmar P66 transducer

pb - everything is relative I spose.....on a % basis - my gps was more than 25% of the worth of my boat! LOL....relatively speaking, that is quite a bit!

Hey Steve, I have the same Furuno gps/plotter as you and was curious if you settled on a card for the PWS area? I recently just picked up a boat which came with the GP7000, and it is lacking sufficient detail that I am accustomed to seeing on some of the Garmins I have been around.