Thread: Best Slugs for a NEF Tracker II in 12 GA.

Default Best Slugs for a NEF Tracker II in 12 GA.

Hi all,

What in your experience are the best slugs for the NEF Tracker II in 12 GA? Thanks.

Ron

Default Ok

What is their intended purpose?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Hitting an 8 inch plate at 75 yards. This is for hunting whitetails.

Ron

At that distance for whitetail anything that gose bang. I'm from the upper peninsula of Michigan ate more white tail deer than beef (now more moose and caribou ) as a kid.

Default slugs

My old NEF single barrel 12 ga shot remington sluggers and Brenneke's better than others.

Not exactly a Tracker II.

But as light as it was it deffinatley rocked ya a bit.

jedi

Does the NEF Tracker ll have a fully rifled barrel?

If it does I would check out the Winchester Partition Gold slugs, it's the slug I use and if you practice for it, it's a legit 200 yd whitetail slug......So is the Hornady.

I forgot that Winchester came out with the new XP3 slug in their Supreme line which is the same line as the Partition Gold........So the Partition Gold may have been discontinued? The Hornady Slug was introduced a year or two ago and my brother used it to bag a 162" buck in Illinois @ a ranged 145yds. He has also used the Winchester for a number of years and with great results, he went with the Hornady slugs to save a couple of $$. There are some great slugs out on the market today, far supirior to the old punkin balls (rifled slugs).

Have shot a pile of deer back east with slugs also, mostly with foster type slugs, and most with an old Ithaca Model 37 16 gauge. The Federal Barnes expander sabot slugs thump the deer pretty hard, and shoot very well out of my new manufacture Ithaca Model 37 12ga, with a fully rifled barrel. As long as you have a rifled barrel I would go with these.

Hi All,

The tracker II has a fully rifled barrel. I have never shot sabots before, Fosters are all I have done. I just need an idea with one, Sabots are not cheap and I wanted to avoid the bad stuff. Thanks.

Ron

how about getting a 30-06 barrel for your NEF Tracker and a scope. This way you can hit 1 inch circles at 100 yds and 30-06 180gr partitions make a better Deer Rifle than a 12 Bore Slugger lobbing 7/8oz lead.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Some of the new sabot slugs certaily don't "lob them out there" as whateveri8 claims, though the rifled slugs (foster type) do.

The Winchester Partition Gold (3") is the most powerfull slug I've seen on the market. This is off the top of my head, but it's close-385 gr. slug @ 2000fps for 3400 ft/lbs +/-. This is a high performance slug and with a 100yd zero you don't have to hold over on deer @ 200yds. The new Hornady sabot is in the same class as the Winchester, the Federal Barnes sabot falls short as do all others that I've shot-which is most of the slugs on the market. I will never deer hunt (shotgun) with anything less again, regardless of the expense.

Default Slugs I just tested

I just shot two types of slugs in the Tracker. I first shot the Hornady 300 grain SST Sabots. At 25 and 50 yards they were ok, a 4 inch group with open sights. Then Foster Style Remington Sluggers. The fosters did lead up the barrel, but did 2inch groups at 25 yards and 3 inch groups at 50. I talked to the range officer (Michigan DNR), he said the sluggers seem to do well in just about everything. Well do I keep looking or just shoot Fosters in the rifled barrel? Your thoughts.....

Ron

Are you saying you can accurately hit targets out to 200yds with 12 bore slugs? I claim 8" at 75 yds is Lobbing Actually anything outside 4 MOA at 100yds is "Lobbing"

Let's see some stats... drop rate, energy, FPS at 200yds

I take it that Winchester is now dropping a spire point bullet down a shotgun shell and calling it a sabot?
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Default At that range...

The rifled slugs are probably just fine. The sabots and other high end stuff discussed above are for if you want to make your slug gun good for 100 plus yards consistently (key word...consistently) If your tracker likes to eat those punkin balls and hits pie plates at 75....then feed it to her, and save enough so you can afford to practice...god knows I never used to shoot enough when I used to use sabots.

Whateveri8, it's true that these new loads can make groups out to 200, but it's not just the slug, it's the gun, the shooter, and some more of the shooter. I had buddies in Illinois that could hit pie plates everytime at 150 with a decent rest..and a scope. I took a different tact, when I was field sitting, I just took an inline 50 cal muzzle loader with a 2x7 scope that shot to 200 with less tinkering, in the thick stuff I took the pump or pistol. Tacky, hardly traditional...but effective for lengthening range in shotgun only areas. (That's why he's tuning a 12 instead of an 06...it's a legal thing) If I had my 270 instead of a slug gun back in the shotgun only days... the 140 inch racks would have to be in the garage...the den would be plugged with the good ones