Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New GPS Requirement

Default New GPS Requirement

I don't like this. Luckily I hunt in unit 7.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ses.pr03232011

During the November 2010 Alaska Board of Game meeting in Ketchikan, a regulation was adopted that requires that all black bear baiting permit holders provide GPS coordinates to the department for each bait site before a permit will be issued.
    In Units 1 5, a person may not establish a black bear baiting station or place bait at a baiting station without first providing the location, in a global positioning system (GPS) format of latitude and longitude, of the baiting station on a form provided by the Department of Fish and Game. The GPS location of the baiting station will be provided to the department at the time of site registration and must be provided to the department before bait is placed at the site.
    Black bear bait site GPS coordinates (latitude & longitude) are required before a permit will be issued.
    Please contact the Douglas wildlife office for additional assistance and information at (907) 465-4265.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

16 has always been that way, I had to buy a freakin' GPS just so I could hunt, go figure.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    16 has always been that way, I had to buy a freakin' GPS just so I could hunt, go figure.
    The reg requires you provide GPS coordinates, not that you purchase a GPS unit. All outdoorsmen should become skilled at using map and compass. If skilled at using a map, one can determine accurate GPS coordinates with little difficulty.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Somone should fight this requirement. Seems a little big brotherish to me. What if someone cannot afford a GPS or a compass? How can the state require one to purchase equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Somone should fight this requirement. Seems a little big brotherish to me. What if someone cannot afford a GPS or a compass? How can the state require one to purchase equipment?
    Just use Google earth, zoom in follow your route to your stand and read the cordinates.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

That does kind of stink. But I always gave gps coordinates to keep it simple, might not be "exact" or "dot on" to my bait site but near as I move it around sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Are you really proposing to argue, with a straight face, that any person who can afford all the toys commonly associated with hunting bears over bait, would be unable to afford to own a thirty dollar compass? (Not to mention the cost of the computer being used to debate the point online). Anyway, it's a moot argument, because the state is NOT requiring anyone to purchase a compass, let alone a GPS unit. They are simply requiring a person to provide GPS coordinates.... It's not that difficult.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Rep points for you iofthetaiga perfectly said

I would recommend, a person pay closer attention to the regulatory process. This is the first step in requiring the use of GPS. It has already been Proposed to include the harvest location on many hunts throughout the state. Many harvest tickets already include space for the Lat and long of the kill site. If you wish to fight this regulation you would be best advised to participate at the state wide meeting next year.

I can live with this, however here is why I don't like it. I do everything in my power to follow the letter of the law but I may not "interpret" something "correctly" or, I might miss something. Therefore, anything that makes it easier for the state to check up on me makes me nervous. Generally, when I give directions to my stand during the registration process I give them the long way. If they follow my directions, they WILL get there. They just may have to take the less than comfortable route. Maybe this makes me a bad person... oh well

I will add that EVERY encounter I've had with the troopers has been a positive experience. I'd still just rather avoid them in case I catch one on a bad day.

Another thing I'd add is I think Google or GPS would be necessary for a lot of bait sites. If I'm not mistaken you need to be able to see two known landmarks in order to pinpoint your exact location on a map. I can't see a **** thing from mine other than devils club and trees (and bears).
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Mnviking sums it up

That's pretty much how I feel even though I was already in the habit of giving coordinates but if they really want to ticket you I'm sure they'll dig deep enough to get you for some minor oversight or ignorance. I just hope I don't have to go through any of that if it's not legal don't do it. It does seem like they always want a little more and a little more from us.

I'm surprised so many are ok with this. Like fishingyoda said "they always want a little more and a little more from us." As I posted in a previous post this GPS reg is strickly to discourage people from baiting-this is what Fish and Feather said to me. Why on green earth would any one be ok with this? They are actively trying to discourage people from hunting? That sits well with you all. It pisses me off. There is no reason that we need to provide GPS information to bait sites or in the future kill sites. I say tell them to take a long walk on a short pier!

Yep, That would be called resection, Ive been doing land nav for 11yrs in the army and unless I have two known points or something to use for deadreckoning its hard to pinpoint. I do agree with taiga though, GPSs are really cheap these days and its the law.. What are you gonna do?
    Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I can live with this, however here is why I don't like it. I do everything in my power to follow the letter of the law but I may not "interpret" something "correctly" or, I might miss something. Therefore, anything that makes it easier for the state to check up on me makes me nervous. Generally, when I give directions to my stand during the registration process I give them the long way. If they follow my directions, they WILL get there. They just may have to take the less than comfortable route. Maybe this makes me a bad person... oh well

I will add that EVERY encounter I've had with the troopers has been a positive experience. I'd still just rather avoid them in case I catch one on a bad day.

Another thing I'd add is I think Google or GPS would be necessary for a lot of bait sites. If I'm not mistaken you need to be able to see two known landmarks in order to pinpoint your exact location on a map. I can't see a **** thing from mine other than devils club and trees (and bears).

I don't like where this is going. It's going to be all too easy for them to start GPSing all bait sites, all kill sites, for all species. It's not too difficult, because like iofthetaiga said, we all have the means to give these locations. Just one more hoop they make us jump through and the noose just got a little tighter
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

They're just making it an easier decision for guys to run unregistered bait. I'm all about doing the right thing, but it seems to me that the only people that are getting hassled and ticketed for running bait sites are the ones that are doing the right thing by telling F&G where they are registered.

Quote Originally Posted by ga2akwild View Post
    . What are you gonna do?
    The BOG Props for 2012 are due April 29 since it's a B cycle that includes black bear hunting. It's never been easier you came do it in their msword form and email it, they also have a new online form. Get enough props in front of them then attend the meeting and testify if you can.
    Chuck

If you are legal, then who cares if a trooper pays a visit to your bait station? Giving the location is already required, GPS coords are just a more accurate way of giving that location. They are just using the technology to get more accurate information is all. If you do not like using technology in hunting, then I suggest you gird yourself with a loin cloth and run around the forest with a spear rather than use a 4 wheeler and fiber optic sights.

We should be more worried about the granola munchers lobbying to restrict hunting more and more. Not worry about F&G wanting to know where you killed your moose or where your bait station is located.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    We should be more worried about the granola munchers lobbying to restrict hunting more and more. Not worry about F&G wanting to know where you killed your moose or where your bait station is located.
    Very true statement. But your missing the forest for the trees, bilder. Any info provided to a govt agency is PUBLIC info. While F&G may not easily give out your coord's to anyone, a freedom of info act request may force them to give it out. Now not only do the troops have your gps location, so do the very people who want to end your practice. Easy to go to your spot and harass you. Leave trash there. Make you look like a bum.
    The possibilities are quite extensive what a trooper, or anyone else (your competition) might do with the GPS location of a bait station. These kind of regs presume that a large per centage of hunters are law breakers and enforcement needs more info to find them. Same idea used for gun control.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Very true statement. But your missing the forest for the trees, bilder. Any info provided to a govt agency is PUBLIC info. While F&G may not easily give out your coord's to anyone, a freedom of info act request may force them to give it out. Now not only do the troops have your gps location, so do the very people who want to end your practice. Easy to go to your spot and harass you. Leave trash there. Make you look like a bum.
    The possibilities are quite extensive what a trooper, or anyone else (your competition) might do with the GPS location of a bait station. These kind of regs presume that a large per centage of hunters are law breakers and enforcement needs more info to find them. Same idea used for gun control.
    If a greenie wanted to harass a bear baiter, they could do it without the GPS coords and they would be doing it already. You are required to give the location of a bait station and anyone with a hint of knowledge on map reading could go out and find you with a little effort. All the GPS coords would do is save a few minutes of searching.

If the anti-baiters were going to do the harassment thing, they would have gone down that road a long time ago. Easier to kill a program when it first starts up rather than wait till it is long established. Besides, with all the trail cams around any would be tamperer would be caught on camera.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Marten trappers last two sentences says it all.
    Chuck

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast