Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography as a "Hobby" .. .. ..

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Default Fall Whaling in Barrow

How do you 'tow' a whale ? 20 - 40 TONS OF FOOD ! ???

Thursday Morning October 9th, we head back out to sea to hunt the mighty bowhead whale, again the water is very rough and it is snowing / raining, some slush is forming in areas.

Setting up the harpoon (exploding harpoon) - very dangerous work, that bomb went off twice while loaded on the boat ! Fortunately no one was hurt !! This is a very dangerous way to obtain food !! Literally you take your life in your own hands when attempting this sacred hunt. Anything can happen without warning.

3 MORE WHALES were 'harvested' today, by Jacob Adams crew, and two other crews, we assisted Jacob n em's crew and helped tow this whale back to the village, unfortunately the whale got stuck on the way back on water that was too shallow, it took over 45 minutes for these boats to get that whale off the bottom and back into deeper water, not an easy task when you have 40 tons of food to contend with .

How do you get a 'beached' whale in shallow water, back into deeper water ?? - 'pull like bull' !! and hope for the best !!

Quote Originally Posted by Majik Imaje View Post
    Knots tighten and a bowling knot should be used so that the rope unties easily and quickly.
    Love the pictures and the narrative!

That would be bowline, rather that bowling.

Spent some time in Barrow a couple winters back. Neat place. Here's a couple pics I took...

Was this the rescue boat?

Well the 'Search & Rescue' Boat that is in use today, or the craft which arrived to our distress call : > .. ..

Default Today is October 22nd of 2008

The actual time is precisely noon !!

WE are loosing 20 minutes per day of day light, November 18th the sun will go below the horizon..... (darkness is coming)

The sun will NOT COME ABOVE THE HORIZON until January 23rd !!

during this time, we will have "light" everyday, but it is short, it is dusk, but bright enough to read a newspaper outside. The length of time we have this "dusk" type light is for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours max !!

The rest of the time, it is dark as in Night time ! Many people suffer depression from the long dark winters, I rather like it, at home, snug as a bug in a rug.!!

WE just received a nice "stash" of fossil ivory from Anchorage, - Alaska Fur Exchange.

This small amount of Ivory cost us more than $6,000 !!!

Fossil Ivory, Mastodon Ivory & Mammoth Ivory, thousands of years old.

Once we slice it into 3/16" slices, then we put those slices in 'baby oil'. Two reasons we do this step.

1. TO put back moisture into the dry ivory to prevent it from cracking or crumbling when we work with it,

2. To bring out the colors that are present from the waves bashing the tusk around in the sea absorbing the elements.

The colors and patterns are distinct and unique in each piece of Ivory, No two designs or patterns are ever the same.

When people purchase fossil ivory bracelet from us, they have the only one like it in existence.

This is what we do each and every day, This is the "job" my sons enjoy, working, and creating each day, all winter long. Anyone can do this and make huge money @ home !! The great thing is.. .. 'no traffic' a few steps and they are @ work, later in the evening, a few more steps and they are finished work - back home !!

I have been scanning note-books of old slides & negatives taken many years ago.. ..

Thousands of images.. .. I have never even seen from: Point Hope, Point Lay, Wainwright & of course .. .. Barrow !!

I will post some of these images, that show the 'creative side" of Photography, in a simple straight forward fashion.

More to follow .. ..

Default Reflections - Use them whem possible

Using reflections (when possible) can add a lot of impact to your images.
    I did something wrong, (gasp) and did not get this image in the proper place with the image above, Oh well, you get the point.
    Editing sometimes can be a problem, only 20 minutes is allowed or contact the admin .. I will just move onwards. This is Joe Oktollik's crew, well actually it is Irma N em's crew. Every one in town knows that this is Calvin & Irma. each are Umailiaq. Joe is their oldest son, He is now the whaling captain of this crew. I spent 3 hunts with Joe n em out on the ocean ice. As a member of his crew, there was always lots to do for work, no matter which crew your on. The chores are the same.

Hunt for food, and prepare food, and create / make water ! Two different types. Snow water for cleaning and washing. Ice water for drinking and cooking. That is a full time job for the 'boyer'. In addition to chopping wood and many other chores.

This is a fine place to spend - TWO MONTHS - in this make shift arctic kitchen, cooking for 8 hunters, 3 women and a 'boyer' is no easy task in this tiny space. Everything has a place and that place is right in front of you. Organization has strict rules which much be followed. It doesn't matter which tent your in, this is done in the exact same manner in each and every one of the 20 different whaling camps here in the village of Point Hope.

Just how long, do you think you would last.. .. in this kitchen ? cooking for a dozen or more people, 3 - 5 times every day for two months ?

Nice pictures Dave, looking forward to seeing more.

kingfisherktn

Hello everybody,

Many months without visiting this post..... (shame on me..) i can see Majik Imaje is not out of work....
    Thank's for sharing these wonderful pics of your country....

I'll be back often as possible....

Winter is there in Québec too..... there is some pics of my Can-Am Outlander Max 650 with tracks and snow-plow....

and some photos of a very nice (and very big) Canadian Artic wolf.....

I hope you'll love these pics....

Regards from Québec,
    Ghislain

That 'rig' is most impressive for sure. WoWoW !!

I came across some sunsets, that were created here in Barrow. A difficult endevor when there is nothing around to use to create something worthy, other than just plain sun / snow.

I work with what I have, and the results are pleasing to behold for sure. Putting a camera out on a tripod and waiting for that light. Patience and good warm clothing !!

Default Defrost !!!

Have you ever put a camera on a tripod @ 40 below zero and had that camera out side for many hours ?? what happens when you bring it back into the house. ?? It will 'sweat' for many hours !!

Well here we are again, food shopping in the arctic.

7 miles out on the frozen ocean ice pack, waiting for 'food'.

Now these animals are too big, to place in any freezer or refrigerator, so we use what we have !!

Default Lets go food shopping

This is exciting, not like shopping in a real store with lots of people, crowded and noisy. Food shopping in the Arctic is an adventure, that adrenaline, is a 'rush' for sure.

We didn't last too long out here this day, the water was too rough. We had to come in .. thankfully, my arms were killing me.

Paddle until your arms are numb and you cannot feel them, this is hard core hunting and I have absolutley no experience and my body is not ready for this type of stressfull type work. I was so pleased when we had to go back to shore. When Irma said .. " We need your help in the umiaq" I replied, I am NOT ALLOWED in that boat during the hunt, she said. get in. We NEED your help. Irma was in the boat also, behind me yelling at me for splashing water on her, frequently. (chuckle) hey, I am a city boy from Boston, I know nothing about this hunting stuff. I have no training in how to paddle. but I sure learned quickly, I did not like doing that.

Default Moon over Barrow

This image was created last month (November) here in Barrow,

Tommorrow the moon will be full again, this morning it was blood red ( I was told), Wednesday Dec 10th.. .. I will be ready, for a new striking image.

How to be creative ?.. .. I gotta think about this one and find the right spot !!

I hadn't looked at this thread in a long time. Glad I found it again.

Outstanding pictures and naratives, please keep them coming.

Default Sea Gulls

Out on the frozen ocean ice pack, some 7 miles out, it is pure quiet, the sound of the wind, ice cracking, and peace & quiet everywhere for miles in every direction, Unless someone harvests an animal and begins to dress it or prepare it for transport back to the village, Once the smell of blood escapes that animal, Sea Gulls magically appear by the thousands out of no where.
    they walk around looking to scavange some portion of the scraps.

.. .. .. and what does a 5 year old boy do, when he is bored out here ? Why, try to set a trap & catch a sea gull !!
    Aquiilaq, is this young boys name, He had me laughing for a long time, making a loop out of rope and waiting patiently for a sea gull to step into the loop.
    He gave up, after a couple of hours, I sat down to take his place.

It is late in the evening (chuckle) as in about 11:30, you can tell by the 'warmth' of the light.
    That dumb bird finally walked over and stepped in and took the bait I had laid out inside the loop of rope, YANK as he stepped in and the bird became 'air-borne'. I reeled in the slack and gently caressed the bird in my huge mittens and went to the nearest tent.
    I asked what are you cooking to night ? they said nothing, we are cleaning up. I said (as I extended my arms.) How about some sea-gull soup ???
    they all said Yuk and laughed. OH well time to let this bird go, but first I have to give it to Aquiilaq, and show him what a great job I did .. .. in not giving up !!
    Aquiilaq is trying to sneak up on his prey. they flew away ! (chuckle)

He was so suprized when I had that bird flying at the end of the rope after making the initial catch.

I gave the rope over to him to release the bird.

All in all it was a good photo opportunity, something a bit 'different'

Just a little something to break up the slow part of the day, midnight here in the arctic is wonderful,
    you can tell by the long flat shadows that it is very late in the evening .. ! just one long continous day that lasts for over 3 1/2 months with no darkness ever !!

Disclaimer, no birds were hurt or injured in photographing this event ! But we had some fun for a short time, @ 30 below zero !!

Cool

It's so wonderful Majik..... what a nice (and rough) country... show us more...!
    I feel as i was with you and the feeling is great....

Thank's for all,
    Ghislain

Thumbs up Thank You

for the time and effort you put to share these images with us!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast