Thread: Photography as a "Hobby" .. .. ..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Default Photography as a "Hobby" .. .. ..

.. .. turned into quite a lucrative business.. 33 countries from around the world visited our gallery on 4th ave in Anch. in 2003. We now sell our images to over 50 countries world wide.

HOW TO KEEP WARM; when hunting outside for many hours in the cold,
    Eskimo's have "tricks" they use to keep warm, many tricks, that work, that can save your life, when stuck in remote places in sub zero temps. Especially when "frostbite" sets in. what do you do ? there are many opinons.. ! ha!..but I know from too much experience, that the Eskimo ways work very well, time tested for thousands of years.

..."THIS IS why your nose "runs" so much when it is cold out, USE IT!"
    when your hands are so cold, hurting, and you can't get warm, take your gloves OFF, blow your nose into your hands as much as you can and rub it all over, now put your gloves back on, INSTANTLY, your hands are toasty warm, they WILL NOT HURT, when they warm up, using this method. and THEY WON'T GET COLD, for the rest of the day! do not try this in damp enviorments .. .. such as East Coast of U.S. it has the opposite effect.

Many miles out on the ocean ice, during a sacred bowhead whale hunt.
    Are you cold ? grab that hacksaw, see those caribou ribs? FROZEN, cut slices that are thin, small, and swallow them whole, FILL YOUR STOMACH.
    Your stomach is going to have to "work very hard" to digest all the frozen meat or fish. This is "quaq". You will begin to push out "body heat" the likes of what you have NEVER EXPERIENCED in your life. Your gonna get "hot", all over. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS and stay in side. your gonna be hurting.. bad! At 30 below we are taking clothes off, We get too hot!
    Raw frozen fish or caribou meat. It works.

Now for the rest of your body. Of course what you wear is very important also. But dirty clothes cannot keep you warm, Air, in many loose layers it "trapped", by using many loose layers, Long Johns ? No! they are too tight! Basicly everyone in the Arctic dresses the same.

After basic under garments. T-shirt or 2 very loose, 2 - good flannel shirts, hooded sweat shirt, spring jacket, then final eskimo parky.
    bottom . after basic undergarments perhaps most important for keeing you warm is pair of gym shorts, then sweat pants loose then jeans then ski-pants. bunny boots are unsurpased in keeping your feet warm and toasty no matter what the conditions.

I have used a Mamiya RB 67 since 1973. I am not too keen on digital because I am from the old era of film. I have been processing my own color for many decades and I had to melt snow to obtain the precious water when I went on a bowhead whale hunt in Point Hope of 1982.
    I had no water source at all, other than "snow"! here are a few pic's

I came to this village in 1981 as an electrican to wire two construction camps. A three week job. When the job finished I quit the company and stayed here.. Our backyard is larger than most states and some countries!

200 miles above the arctic circle in Point Hope Alaska is vast wide open empty region.. .. "or is it ?" Bush pilots report seeing strange things up here that if I were to tell you. You simply would not believe this could be true!

These girls have been outside playing for "days" @ 30 below!

How do you obtain "delicous fresh drinking water many miles out on the ocean ice?"

This is easily my favorite post of all time! Thanks.

Wow this was really cool very informative and warming. Thanks
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Default Frozen Food.. .. .. .. Can save your life,

... and so can your nose! Frostbite, how do you fight it? use that stuff that is coming out of your nose! Kakiik (Kah keek) snot! Yuk! hey! Do you want to live ? then get some on your skin.. IT WILL NOT HURT YOU, how many tmes.. have you "swallowed" some ?

In the Arctic. when a baby is suffering with a "blocked" up nose due to tooo much stuff in that babies nose.. that baby can't breathe correctly. The mother bends over and places her mouth OVER the entire nose, and sucks the stuff out, and then spits it out into the trash, INSTANTLY, that baby has relief!

I don't know if many of you, have ever had to hop on a snow-machine when it is 50 below zero, and head into the wind, which is blowing at 70 mph, now drive 100 mph for 40 miles.. to get fresh water for drinking from the Kupak river, Delicous drinkng water.. .. .. ! But how do you get "delicious" FRESH drinking water when you are living many miles out on the OCEAN ICE ?

When you have to drive, into the wind, at those temperatures, it is like someone is rubbing "razor blades" on your face, it really hurts! And it will show, how much it hurts, when the skin turns 'BLACK" frm dying and becoming frozen. It looks like someone held a propane torch to make "burn marks" all over that person's face.. THIS IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN if you don't use your kakiik, to PROTECT YOUR SKIN.. it will not hurt you, but it will save your life. and your skin.. "... .. .. this is why... your nose,,,runs so much in the cold weather.. LEARN HOW TO USE IT.. all over your face.. IF NECESSARY, but learn HOW... .. to use it! that, is going to require practice !

it is only going to take ONE TIME.. for you, to be suffering.. before you WILL PUT GLOBS where you NEED to place/ put it.

I have worked in prudhoe bay as an electrican many times. And a few times, people have "caught me" taking my gloves off., blowing a big huge "clam" into my hands, rubbing it in all over PUtting my gloves on and coming over to me and saying .. eeeewwwww! what's wrong with you.. ??ewww! I walk into the lunch room, & everone gets up and moves to the other table.. ha ha ha ha ha.!

it wasn't long.. before half the crew. was doing the same thing.. to protect and warm up their hands.. HEY.. this REALLY WORKS! they all said and laughed, LATER. once they understood!

Just make sure.. (looks around) NOBODY CATCHES YOU! ha ha ha.. they will never UNDERSTAND!.. until.. THEY are suffering.. !!

When we go out to the ocean ice to live for two months on a whale hunt. We sleep outside, no tents @ 40 below!

Those are beautiful photos, the ones of the Native couple, the group, and the little girl. Over at the UAF library there are a great number of photographs that were taken years ago by the best photographers in Alaska. Yours reminded me of the photos at the library, except that the latter are B&W.

Default wow

Very very good post...
    wonderful images.. great stories..
    Thankyou for the great advice on keeping warm and not suffering frostbite
    I recieved 3 bad ones this past week on my trip from Tok to Dawson city..
    I could have used your advice last week..ha ha..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Just wondering

Majik, I am sorry to hear of your loss and so glad that your son wasn't involved. I would really like to read the rest of your story, but all of the photos are gone. Is there a reason why I can't see the pictures on this thread anymore? I thought maybe you deleted them out of respect for the fallen one, but I see red X where the pics should be.

Default NOTHING .. has been deleted.. Sorry for not posting

this sooner.. but if you click on majikimaje.com you will see that the reason for the missing photos is that my web host shut me down, because my web site exceeded the bandwidth allowed.!!

All photos will be back in their spots. THE LOCK will come off at midnight on the 31st of March.

I have been averaging over 6,000 hits per day. that is what brought me way up and over my bandwidth limit.

I have hundreds more photos to show you and stories to tell of this wonderful life up here in the Arctic.

but it is so sad.. so see so many people die in this tiny village! The death rate is just so high! 200 people in less than 20 years ? whew !

More stories and photos will be coming on April 1st (no fooling!) !!!

Default A typical Day in the Village

We always have a strong North Wind. (LEFT TO RIGHT) In this image, but on any typical day, the wind is blowing snow around the village in the usual manner.

But this is life in the Arctic, daily 9 months of the year, we are below zero!

Whaling is about to start any day now, We need a very STRONG north wind to break the ice, (lead opening),

WE WAIT.. for the wind, and the right conditions before we move the entire village out to the lead opening many miles out on that ice pack.

So while we wait, preparations are still being made to make sure all gear, is in proper order, everything is checked and re-checked many times. We cannot afford to make any mistakes out here on the ICE.

We will try and post links to download actual video's and sound to make this year's hunt one you can view, see, hear, what is going on!

So until then, stay tuned for a fantastic thread, with amazing photographs right from the comfort and WARMTH of your home / office!

Default Thanks for the story Majik!

Good luck in your hunting. We look forward to the rest of the story!

Default When a whale is caught.. .. .. .. ..

It takes the combined effort of hundreds of people working together to get that whale out of the water and onto the ice pack.

A bowhead whale weights an astonshing TON per FOOT !

We have a 48 foot whale here, and it took over 17 hours of grueling hard work, to land this "beast" upon the ice. The weight was too much and the ice kept breaking, finally they resolved to cut "many" tons off the whale while it was still in the water, then it was hauled up.

this is dangerous work! ANYTHING can happen, and in Barrow Alaska in 1991,
    This was the situation @ hand, when the Captain noticed that the "strain" was too much, on the block & tackle and he motioned for 3 women to get out of the way and move back. They didn't listen, the O-ring broke, & that block & tackle was launched, like a speeding bullet,

The outcome was tragic, two women were decapitated, the third will never come out of her "vegetable like state"!

FRESH food! but this is no where enough food to feed the entire village. We have a "quota" system & restrictions placed upon us. We are allowed to play baseball.. ... 3 strikes and your OUT! GO HOME.. .. you have to buy your food, at 4 times the going price. Fair? heck no! Japan is currently harvesting 1000 whales, for scientific purposes. The people of point hope are allowed to "try" to catch a whale, if they fail, then they strike out, and whaling is canceled!

A federal census was taken here in the village by "biologists", in 1982. During a one month period, they saw and counted over 15,000 whales.

This (one sided census) did not take into account, the whales that surfaced before they arrived and those that surfaced further out, and those that surfaced after the biologists left the village.

The elders say the population is well over 200,000 ! But we have to obey!
    A strike is when you "strike" or haproon that whale, & it gets away. One down, two to go. 750 people depend on this food (in this village). Last year we struck out, matak (muck tuck) was sent down from other villages that were successful. Whaling festival was canceled!

When a whale is caught, the first things taken off are the "flippers" which are considered the best part. These are brought back to town and the Church Bell is rung over and over and over, everyone knows what that means, SUCCESS! The flippers are taken to all the homes of the elders, for them to see, "the prize"!

Smile

Hello from Quebec...!

I've just joined the Alaska Outdoors Forums...... and as i'm interested by photography, i choose this post........!
    Fantastic......... wonderful pics and very talentuous teller...!

Thank's for sharing, but please.... tell us more....!

Regards,
    Ghislain
    P.S.: Excuse my bad english.... i'm a french Canadian..!

Default Location Location Location

Photography is all about being in the right location.. .. at the right time, and if your smart.. .. you will have a camera so that.................??? you can show other people, what YOUR eyes have seen & recorded.

What can you do with that image you captured ????? It is as endless as your imagination and the amount of work and dedication you can devote to becoming successfull.

Many times in the past I would leave the ice and return just hours later with wonderful 11 x 14 prints enlarged & processed back down to the ice.

This has to be a first !!!

Many miles out on the ocean ice. I stop to greet people on their way down to the ice. We stop and chat and I show them the newest images that have been processed, the ol fashioned way using chemicals and light sensitive Kodak color paper.

This image was early April and at night.. ZZZzzz!

Nothing in the Arctic is done in the manner or way that you are accustom to. This is a different planet. A different world, frozen, extremly cold & windy. But it is the greatest adventure I have yet to experience, this is what keeps me here @ the top of the world.

Great pictures Dave.

kingfisherktn

Default more to it

more to alaska than fishing villages ... I think I might be one of the only photographers in alaska that really never wants to go a to a village to take pics ..

Lets take a trip and explore some of the land here in the Arctic.

some of what I am about to tell you will seem preposterous, but just ask ANY PERSON that lives in any village from
    Nome clear up to Barrow, all of the villages of the entire North Slope Region, will tell you that what I am about to
    TRY AND EXPLAIN is "true". Do I have photos ? not yet, but working on it, there has to be a way to prove this.
    with recent giant advances in technology I am sure it will become possible to "catch" & record proof of the
    Ignaugalurauks.. .. The Little People, that live underground, and in caves here above the Arctic circle.
    This is no legend, or folklore, as new sightings are prevelant constantly, each and every year.!!
    I will tell you stories and provide photographs of all that "can be seen" in this vast huge expanse of area of
    several hundred thousand of square miles. THINGS HAPPEN OUT HERE.. .. ... ... that just do not make sense!!
    For instance.. ha ha.. you are NOT GOING TO BELIEVE WHAT I AM ABOUT TO EXPLAIN.. you have to be here to experience
    these happenings, no matter what I type, you will be very skeptical and doubtful ONLY because.. you know better,
    this does not happen where YOU LIVE.
    therefore: ??
    Lets start.. .. at the beginning so you have a better understanding of what is going on up here.. .. frequently,
    reports abound.. .. in each and every village!! This is a vast area we are talking about in square miles.
    roughly the size of ALL the New England STATES put together.. .. EMPTY !!
    Ok.. nOW A Long TIME before the whaling companies arrived .. .. .. The Ingnakalaurak's LIVED AMONG the people of
    Point Hope.
    One of their young was eaten by a dog.. .. and they moved out of the village. These people are small, 3-4 feet in
    height!
    They live the ol ways, to this very day, dressed in caribou skins. They still hunt with bow & arrow. They live
    underground, and in caves all throughout this vast area.
    They possess super human qualities, that you WILL NEVER BELIEVE:
    They are incredibly strong and they can run, incredibly fast.. they sneak around the villages "stealing food".
    When any hunter, shots and kills a caribou, it requires two adult Inupiaq men to lift that caribou to place on a
    sled. It only takes ONE Ingnakalaurak to pick one up ...........and RUN WITH IT. Over his head (person carrying
    animal) running, with a dead caribou. ??? Bush Pilots have reported seeing caribou.. moving, quickly, in a
    horizontal position ???
    Well, lets stop right here and let me extend an invitation to you. Anyone, come on up here, talk to the bush pilots.
    They will tell you.. what they have seen with their own eyes, but you will not believe them, becuase, YOU KNOW
    BETTER. even though you have never been up here or heard of this before.
    Come on up !! See and experience it for yourself.
    HAVE I GOT YOUR ATTENTION NOW ?? good. I have no need to lie or exagerate about any of what goes on up here. I have
    no problem with the truth however I do have a huge problem with Liars and phoneies. that is why I stay up here in
    the Arctic.. Heaven on Earth. IMHO.
    Luke Koonuk was out hunting many miles from Point Hope, Imagine this, you travel hundreds of miles into a vast empty
    area, Luke's 4 whell honda was stuck in the mud. He had tried and tried and tried to life or get it out of the ruts
    to get free. He was exhausted bent over huffing and puffing, Exausted, bent over,.. .. suddenly out of the corner of
    his eye he sees,.............His honda rise in the air and come bouncing down on firmer ground and somethibng, a
    blur, was running away.
    When ANY HUNTER IS LOST.. .. .. stuck. .. .. in trouble.. these people appear out of no where to assist and wisk
    away..Gone in a flash.
    TOO MANY people up here have had too many experiences,.. .. !! I could go on and on with stories of what goes on up
    here and I promise to tell .. all I have experienced during my almost 3 decades of living among the Inupiaq peoples.
    Hunters, experienced hunters often talk about caribou that they have shot & killed. Dead. & it disappears before
    they reach it.
    Make no mistake, these people are very good in what they do, they are perhaps the best hunters in the world.
    Jump on a 4 wheel honda or a snowmobile, and go 200 miles out into this empty region.....@ 50 below zero and stay
    out there for weeks... YOu see a caribou and shoot it, it falls down, motionless, they wait and watch. have a
    smoke. wait and watch. We do not waste time out here, driving. gas is too expensive. well over 5,00 per gallon for
    years up here.
    That caribou is dead, said Joe Oktillik, I got on my machine and drove over those hills,. and ?? where is it? I
    know this is the spot, there is no blood anyplace, no tracks to the left or the right and no tracks going straight
    ahead...The last place I looked Joe said.. .. was up ! Caribou is gone, no tracks??????????
    This happens a lot up here.
    I am not going to waste time here tring to convince anyone. Come on up.. .. go out there.;. and see what happens. I
    can be your guide. Or connect you to a reputable source. The best time to come on up here, is in June during whaling
    festival, in Barrow; I live here now, and I am inviting any and all that wish to see, experience, life in the
    arctic. Although my house is small, I can comfortably fit 4 people @ any time. I have two spare rooms in my two
    story house here in Barrow Alaska. There are 5 adults living in this toasty warm house and two rooms to spare for
    any who wish to visit the Arctic @ the top of the world in Barrow. There are also a few hotels in town, but they do
    not offer free home cooked meals,5 times per day if necessary !!!
    So lets talk about "what goes on up here in the arctic... ... ...
    STRANGE THINGS YOU WILL NEVER BELIEVE!!!!
    there is so much more to come.!!!

This plane ride to Barrow is 400 miles from Point Hope, a four hour flight, A hundred dollars per hour to fly.