Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography as a "Hobby" .. .. ..

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

My second oldest son - Mark Andrew, sporting a brand new pair of bunny boots. All my sons purchased new boots this year. This is Mark's second whale hunt, Jesse's second, and Khristophers second as well. Isaiah is still back in Point Hope with his four Inupiaq children - 3 daughters and one son - Isaiah Jr. !

That parky he is wearing is one that was made for me by Rosemary Oviok in 1981 !!

The campsite(s) will be set up, many miles out there, where the lead forms. Where does that happen ? It is different each and every year. It depends on the thickness of the ice, the wind, and of course the temps

There is much about the ocean Ice that I do not understand. But after being on more than 5 whale hunts I have leanred a few basic things about the ocean ice. It is always moving, markers have to be placed way out there, and other markers to line up to see which way the ice is shifting after many days. Even though they cannot see 'open' water from here, it is easy to find, just by looking at the clouds in the sky. The darkness of the open water will create very dark looking clouds in the sky. The reflections from the ice make the clouds look much whiter on the bottom of their puffs than open water does. But for now, find a place to set up a camp site in the Captains favorite area(s), based on wind conditions, and distance to the place where the lead opens. For now, finding the right way to break this trail so as to get the job done

Day one was to test the crew, a lot of work had to get done on that first day, so there was little time to stop and use the camera. Work, hard work, chopping ice and moving ice and clearing a path, to transport materials. This pathway through the ice must be smooth, these machines have to make many trips back and forth, this creates excesive wear and tear on the equipment if it has to encounter 'rough' areas. A five mile ride will take hours at very slow speds of carefull navigation.

Enjoyed the picts, David/

I'ts always a new (and great) pleasure to read and look your comments.....! Good whaling season and very best regards to you, your family and for all residents of Barrow (The top of the world..)....!

Regards,
    Ghislain from Quebec
    Early to go to bed, and early to rise,
    Make a man wealthy and wise...!

Why thanks kingfisherktn, My sons informed me they have a 15 foot high pressure ridge to break through and remove, before and after photos will be posted tonight, and hopefully a video showing the amazing amount of work involved in breakin trail.

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos, I have something special to share with all of you on this long continuing thread. Each of my sons has a new 10 megapixel camera, cost of these cameras ?? $200 bux each ! Now I want you all to pay special attention to the images created for this photo essay, I do not need a 5,000 dollar camera body to create meaningful artistic educational material. This hype that you NEED a top of the line cannon or nikon is just nonsense !!

The work begins, right here !! 12 hour days of backbreaking incredibly hard work. This is the test. Lets see first hand, just how hard of a worker you really are. This is no place for bs. Hustle and get the job done !!

This is the test.. .. for whaling captains to determine who is a worker, and who will hold back from getting this important job finished as quickly as possible.
    Once you are out there, there is no place to go to warm up, Bathrooms are plentful, just duck behind any large piece of ice !!

Again I say, this is back-breaking work, non stop for long hours and the great part is.. there is no pay what-so-ever. Many miles of incredibly hard work, so the community can get their equipment out there - for one purpose - to gather and harvest - FOOD !!

Obtaining food, is dangerous here in the arctic. anything can happen at any time out on the ice pack with no warning at all. You must constantly be aware of your surroundings. Be aware of the wind and the direction, this is extremely important to understand.
    How many miles ? We do not know yet, but a safe bet is that it will be between 5 miles - 20 miles, depending on the thickness of the ice. We have no idea where / when the ice will crack, that is determined by the wind and the flow of currents in the area.

We have only finished two days worth of work, there are miles and miles to go.
    How smooth does the ice have to be, smooth enough to transport supplies and get them there without the machines breaking down. Yesterday two machines broke down out there.

We do not go around obstacles, we go right through them, no matter how much work has to be performed
    stay tuned, I have videos to post of these same images, I am going to put you right out on that ice with sounds and events never before seen !!

Default Videos !!

finally, as promised some videos !!

Video's !!

Now I can bring you out to the ocean ice.. .. and you can see first hand, the work involved.
    Until I become better at creating these video's. This will have to do .. .. for now!
    Out to the Ice

ENJOY !!

Majik,

Good to see you back and posting some pictures on the forum. Been a while man
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Well, I have just been so busy with 20 different projects, trying to get too much done with so little time to do it all.

Now whaling is upon us and my workload is increased so much more.

You can easily discern, there is NO open water, if there was, the clouds at the bottom would be very dark !! We have 12 miles more of trail to clear and smooth out, Our whaling captain says it will take at least 3 more weeks to get the job finished. Imagine all of that incredibly hard work for long difficult cold days. NO PAY - !! Imagine that !!
    Just to gather food to eat !!

I just might have photos from the air today of the ice and the trail we are working on !! stay tuned for much more !!

Majik, you cannot use machine for doing the hardwork.... like a bulldozer...?

And, what happen if you clear the trail during another 2-3 weeks and the ocean ice move and built another ridges..... how you mark your trail....? I don't understand how you do to make a road on ice if the icefield is moving all the time.........

I find you are very courageous.......

Good luck in that big job....

Regards,
    Ghislain from Quebec

Well Abitibi101 - Let me explain, why your idea would never work.

First let me use a photograph to show & tell

See the 'marker' ? it is right in front of the snow machine about an inch?

that marker is lined up with another one way out which is not visible in this photograph. There are many markers all lined up nice and straight for a person to visually see, if any 'drift' has occured. The ocean ice doesn't move like a 'sheet' in the wind on a clothesline, but rather a very slow movement (over time) depending on the currents, which depends on how far out they are making camp. The wind plays a huge part in the stabilithy of the ocean ice pack. In Point Hope, a south wind means mass panic, get off the ice. Since the two are geographically different, It might be a different wind that causes panic in Barrow to where the ice advances towards the camps. but all in all, the ice is somewhat stable or they would not be traveling 15 miles out there to set up camp.

Now as far as using a bulldozer, that is totally out of the question for many reasons, The vibration, the noise, and what happens when the ice breaks in back of the bulldozer ?? Also the danger of going through the ice etc. That is just not practical.

Work, hard work is the Inupiaq way of life for gathering food. Nothing is easy up here when it comes to whaling, It is a lot of very difficult hard work and breakinig trail is just one of those things that has to be done every year by each crew. There is no pay for this month of back breaking work. Each crew- has that responsibility.

But now you can see first hand, the amount of incredible work performed to break through these pressure ridges. Some can reach heights of 50 feet easily !! We intend to display thousands of new images & videos on this years hunt from at least 3 different crews !
    These are the Captains that requested my sons to join their crews this year!

Eugene Brower - Whaling Captain - President of Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission & Boardmember - International Whaling commisson.

Fredrick Brower - Whaling Captain

Matilda Adams - Whaling Captain

These are the three crews that we will present for you to view with photographs & amazing videos - This year, 2009 !!

I will be roaming between as many camps as I am able to access, There is no road map for these trails, you either know where they are located or you don't !!

Hello Majik,

Thank's for your explanations...... I understand better the situation now. Are you working with GPS for recover your "markers" and your trail or going by instinct...?
    Are the snowmobiles always broken, running on a hardpack all day hauling big sleigh..... so much snow for refreshing the slides..?

Regards,
    Ghislain from Quebec

Dizzy, lost, disoriented, (twilight music playing) Ride into this.. .. and keep going.. it won't be long before you are totally lost and disoriented and confused !

Breaking trail, means, cut a path, chop down the high portions and fill in the low areas, (cracks, thinner ice, etc)

A straight trail is what is needed here, zig-zaging around the obstacles is much too long of a ride and too dangerous in case of emergency.

This is why, a 5 mile ride will take many hours. but if you cut a trail straight, to your location, going through the pressure ridges, then you have a good working trail that is on much safer ice. IN case of 'killigvuk' (mass panic - evacuate & haul arse). you can just drive straight as fast as possible to get back to land, As pressure ridges build when the ice advances, THAT ice , is locked together and it is much thicker. but smooth large areas, is ice that is as thick or as solid. Pressure ridges occur with incredible forces to jam that ice SOLID. This is the main reason for going straight through these monsters !! Yes it is an incredible amount of work (with no pay) How long would you last out there, 12 hours a day for a month and no incentive or compensation ? I know if I put a crew of electricians out there, and paid them 1000 a day, they would be complaining and quitting left and right !!

All this incredible work - 'just to eat' !!!

Default Breaking Trail - Day 4 & 5

Friday & Saturday were nice days to work out on the ice, Saturday was long hard and much progress was made.

I wish you could see the incredible sharpness of this image in person, the detail is most remarkable !!

Onward, through the ice to open water ! Once we reach open water, then it is time to find and set up the camp site. Barrow does things much differently than Point Hope. This year, I can make personal notes of some of the differences.

This is my first whale hunt in Barrow - I am going to have the time of my life out there.. it is just the best part of the arctic year - two months of whaling and hunting !!

IN Point Hope, the tents are for the women only ! Their tents are located 1/2 mile away from open water on much safer ice. This is where they do all the chores for the 8 member crew (hunters) The women 2 or 3. Prepare food 3 - 5 times a day for all the members of the crew. That is a lot of dirty dishes to clean many times each day, (in sub zero surroundings).

In Barrow they bring the tent right to the edge of the ice, for the men. The women cook in town and the food is delivered to the camp site.

As we approach the open water, steam is visible off in the distance !! We are getting close(er) !!

Default Breaking Trail(s) !

When it is really cold out, you need much warmer clothing, A caribou parky with wolverine ruff.

And of course, dealing with the cold, has strange effects on facial hair !!

This young man, is hard at it all day long saturday, Amazing stamina !!

Here the steam is somewhat visible, in other images it will be very visible and the dark portion of the bottom of the clouds, which can be read from many miles away, The ice has broken twice and we will not have to go out as far as we first thought. GPS equipment will be used once the trail is finished so we can get an exact distance from land to camp site. We are at this moment about 5 miles out there. Sunday was too cold, so work was canceleed, too cold, too windy. rest !

Miles and miles to go, the 'point man' cruises ahead to scope out, what lies ahead !!

work work work, all day, most every day, for weeks on end, with no pay what-so-ever, take the time.. .. spend more than 5 seconds thinking about this, THE ONLY COMPENSATION.. .. is you get to eat ! These people are so happy, all of the time !! I have never met people like this.. so happy ! Staggering amount of work.

These photos show and tell the story quite clearly indeed !!

One person, a white man, who actually lives here in Barrow, claims I am not telling the truth about whaling. (chuckle) this person writes photo essays about whaling, from inside of his truck on land !! No wonder he doesn't believe me about the incredible hard work, out here, cutting a trail, right through the ice.

Well the truth is.. (he thinks).. That I am making this all up !

The end of our progress so far, 5 miles out. cut right through all of this ice and keep going onward !! in these images you will often see people working with huge pieces of ice, why such a big piece ? to fill a very low area. it is much easier to throw a huge piece of ice into that void of lower ice, than to fill it with small pieces.

Long hard days, and some times, you just have to sit and take a break. These two gentlemen look quite comfortable, SITTING on the handle of the pick. you cannot see the shadow of the tool(s) in this image, but the most popular question, people always ask me, is where do you go to the bathroom out there? The answer is obvious !! Go behind any large piece of ICE !!!

Finally we reach open water, we are very close, now to pick a spot to set up the camp site / tent and other associated details for the camp itself, lots more work to do, using GPS, we have determined we are 5 miles out. The wind, and currents are very strong, Ice bergs can be seen floating by, cruising about 20 mph. Two huge sheets of ice broke off, @ the point and we will not have to go the expected long distance. At the edge of the ice, it is only two feet thick, and that is not good. We need much thicker ice. In order for that to happen, we need the temps to drop to 40 or 50 below zero !

Steam, is clearly visible, coming up from the warmth of the water, ice bergs are visible lway out there, cruising by, much quicker than one would imagine, but with all the fog from the steam, and the distance, Well you will see.. soon in the next upcoming posts !!

so much more to follow, with thousands more images & videos !!

Thank you Majik, it's a real pleasure to follow you..... on the ice. Photos and texts are very instructive to me.
    Good luck in your future whaling....

Regards,
    Ghislain from Quebec

Default Ice Trails

I can show you now, from the eye in the sky via GPS technology, the ice trails here in Barrow !!

We have reached open water ! Much of the work we had finished recently is gone, swept out to sea.

Seals are visible in the water, close by.

There is no way to describe how cold it is out here, but the manner in which hard core hunters are dressed will impart a feeling of what 40 below is like out here, although the temp in town is about 30 below, it is a good ten or more degrees colder out here and the wind is more noticeable, providing good burn marks on some of the hunters faces due to frostbite.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast