Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography as a "Hobby" .. .. ..

Wow there is alot of pictures in this thread and good quality thank you for sharing

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Fishonastin ! Thanks for takinig the time. I am also glad you enjoyed these images. That was a lot of incredible work to create these.. .. the ol fashion way, using film. I processed the film myself, and printed the original images using my skills, knowledge and equipment for the greatest adventure I have ever partaken in.. .. in my life. ! Whew !! There is no way to express with words, the incredible beauty of being out on that ocean ice. Walking around to the different camps, many miles of walking every day, with camera, tripod, backpack with @ least 100 rolls of film.

Five hunts, during a broken a nine year period, 82, 83, 88, 89, 90.

Now for the grand finale, this coming hunt in 09. in Barrow, coming from 4 different crews, MA. J. I. K. I.M.A.J. E. will be scattered around the ice pack, participating on 4 different crews, (everyone wants us on their crews) ((they love the free photographs)) !! That is my secret to success. GIVE .. GIVE.. GIVE... GIVE.

The Lord: 'loveth a cheeful giver' !! That is the main reason for my continued success. I believe those promises that HE SPOKE.

and I employ some of these promises in my photographic creations.

When I have a human subject:. and I want 'that' look. I know I cannot do that.. so I ask for help !! I have been practicing this for 4 decades.
    all because of some words in a book that are 'promise' (s)!!

Matt: 7:7 part a - Ask.. .. and you SHALL receive.

The CREATOR of ALL THINGS: can teach you .. how to create !!

Think about that.. .. for more than 2 seconds !!

Photography is all about 'seeing' I wonder what you see, when you look at part a,b,c, of that simple one verse.

the first letter, of each sentence. (chuckle).

That is how, I learned photography !! From the creator of all things !! .. and that one verse had a LOT to do with my 'schooling' !!

I am nothing, no one. But I wanted to learn.. .. I was obsessed... to the point of melting tons of snow, to process color color film.

Processing C-41 kodak chemicals is an excersice in exacting -discipline.

The temperature tolerance is only 1/4 of a degree @ 100 degrees !! +/-

for 3:20 seconds. Simple tricks make this an easy process to master, even in the arctic.

I found ALL the answers in one book long ago, I suggest you get this book and read it cover to cover.

Time / Life series of photography, 1970; the one volume on COLOR

ACQUIRE a strong foundation in the basics of COLOR.

The one photographer that has insipred me the most, is in that book.

Ernst Hass - WoWoW !!

1983 - I flew to Anchorage, packed up 40 boxes of equipment, rented an apartment and processed all day/night long, hundreds of sheets of color paper every day for months.

I began my quest to learn color in 1969 -

Knowing.. how to properly balance color filters correctly, in those days, was far more complicated than -click- !

Default New Years Eve / Day Fireworks in Barrow

Default Eskimo Games

Here is a game that is next to impossible to achieve ! (chuckle)

Balance on one hand, kick the ball, that is over your back / head !

Very few 'contestants' were successfull ! but it was fun to watch !!

Default Finger-pull

This can be brutal on your 'middle' finger, I have seen this played two different ways or methods, two people interlock their middle fingers, and pull, or as seen here, a small strong string is used to insert the middle finger. Pull the other person over, or he lets go, either way, you win !!

Default Here comes the Sun !!

HERE COMES THE SUN !!! (finally) !!
    In Barrow Alaska, top of the world, the sun dipped below the horizon on November 18th, it rose today for the first time in 2009 !!

On the roof, of the Suvat Center, trying to capture images of the upcoming sunrise.

You would never think it is almost NOON here in Barrow, but that is the time of day !!

11:30 a.m. Barrow Alaska, we had to leave this site because they close @ noon !!

People busy about their business walking, driving, the temp is 40 below w/ 20 mph winds

Default Here comes the SUN !! (continued) !

Here comes the SUN .. .. (insert music here) !!

For the very first time in 2009 - we finally see the SUN !!!

Now there is enough light for a while, to dig out this old tent and begin to get ready for the spring hunt (soon) !!
    4 cameras on 4 different crews this spring hunt will bring you right out on the ice, to enjoy the beauty and splendor of the frozen far north, gathering food !!
    We will be creating movies, images and I am sure there will be a lot of stories that are all easily verifiable !!
    Stay tuned to this ongoing thread of life in the Arctic ! I promise you spectacular images .. ..

Nice to see the sun rising there, as I'm headed back to work near Prudhoe in a few days. Always a special time.

Great, enjoyed all the pictures.

Well Brian, I envy you, Prudhoe was always my favorite place to work !!

Thanks for taking the time to view my work 2Paws, I appreciate the comments.

Yes it is great to see the sun again, longer days, more time to be outside instead of sitting at this computer.

Lots to do to get ready for whaling in a couple of months, we are all looking forward to this next spring hunt, four of us are on four different crews to create images and make movies, (fingers crossed).

Ice must be cut and brought back to the village, from 100 miles round trip to the kupak river, wood needs to be gathered, along the coast on the north side of the village (Point Hope), food cleaned out from the siglauq, (sig -lock) and of course fuel, sicpan (seal blubber).

After the long dark winter, everything must be cleaned and that takes a lot of time, this is not something that is accomplished in a week or two, it takes major time and effort.

Again we go through the routine, of doing daily chores outside, for the task at hand, this is the most exciting time of year coming upon us, (whaling villages -9 )

Someone lost an Avatakpak, a seal skin filled with air, to be used to slow the whale down and to mark its location.

One of the Captains has his umiaq brought into the church to be blessed by the pastor.

In 1961 ( a one time freak accident Pt. Hope), a whole crew died when a whale flipped the umiaq over.

This sad tragic incident is written in a book, I happened to just come across this story the other day, The name of the book is The Tigara Eskimos & Their Enviornment - page 27

Another book which will fascinate you about the 'ghosts' and little people and the 'spirits' that come around the bend is named PUIGUITKAAT

Each of these books and many others can be purchased from the North Slope Borough, much of what I explain is located in these books and from the hunters I have lived with for many decades !!

Although others may doubt the accuracy of these books, I have heard it stated that no western observer has witnessed any form of government before 1970 in Point Hope, that statement was obviously taken from a book that is no where near the truth. 1936 The Inupiaq people drafted their constitution with the help of the federal governement, In the Late 1800's Point Hope had a well organized goverment with tribal meetings and infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik Imaje View Post
    Well Brian, I envy you, Prudhoe was always my favorite place to work !!

Thanks for taking the time to view my work 2Paws, I appreciate the comments.

Yes it is great to see the sun again, longer days, more time to be outside instead of sitting at this computer.

I look at all your pics and read all your texts Majik...... it's fantastic....! Without the pics, nobody (don't leave in Alaska) can't imagine the reality of the rough daily life of Alaskan people.....

Thank's again for give us the feeling of your wonderful country.....

Regards,
    Ghislain from Québec....

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Yes it is a wonderful life full of wonderful people.

The old couple in the fancy fur parky's in the beginning of this thread ?

Here she is again, by herself, 12 years later. This is Agnnin, My 4 Inupiaq Sons, Great- Grandmother !

With age: 'comes wisdom' ! Always listen to elders, they possess a wealth of knowledge.

Many of the stories I have told are written in those books I mentioned. I always have a valid reputable source to back up my 'words'.

Unhappy

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Yes it is a wonderful life full of wonderful people.

The old couple in the fancy fur parky's in the beginning of this thread ?

Here she is again, by herself, 12 years later. This is Agnnin, My 4 Inupiaq Sons, Great- Grandmother !

With age: 'comes wisdom' ! Always listen to elders, they possess a wealth of knowledge.

Many of the stories I have told are written in those books I mentioned. I always have a valid reputable source to back up my 'words'.

I would reply more often and ask question to you Majik but, my english is so bad....! it takes me too long time to say what i have to say....
    I'll continue to be present yet, with short words....! I'm waiting for your wonderful pics and comments.

Temperature here is -25C with a mild north wind and a clear sky..... it's OK.. no snow at horizon....

Have a nice WE,

Regards,
    Ghislain from Quebec

Don't worry about your english, your doing just fine. ask away, I will answer.

Well I opened the front door today, just to peak outside........ whoo hooo it is xxxx COLD out.
    it has been about 40 below for a couple of weeks. One day it got down to about - 60 below (with wind(s)). BLOODY GOOD DAY !
    The severe darkness is past, it gets bright outside now about ten in the morning, and @ 2:30 p.m. I Opened the front door to get some of the 'stink' out of the house, (from the boys sanding "baleen") That black stuff that is in the whale's mouth. when put up against a fast circular sanding wheel.. PEEEuuUUUUUUUU !! We gotta bottle this stuff somehow and sell it on E-BAY.. Whew .. 'whale-fart' POTENT aroma. Bidding starts at fart bux a bottle ( I mean five) !!
    Looking out the front door

Looking to the left

Looking to the right !
    Looking at our storage shed.. I ain't gonna open that door till the spring when the snow is all gone.

I got lots more photos of when we went out around the town, I just have to resize them and upload them to my server.. Lots more coming soon.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 02-07-2009 at 00:14. Reason: language

Riding around Barrow again & again !!

A friend of mine from Boston flew up to Barrow for two weeks, we rented a truck and rode around the village.

Some of the familiar sites for 'tourists' to have their photo created

Although the temps were - 40 with wind chill, It doesn't seem to bother my son Mark. He is used to walking the village no matter what the temps are.

Riding around Barrow again & again !!

A friend of mine from Boston flew up to Barrow for two weeks, we rented a truck and rode around the village.

Some of the familiar sites for 'tourists' to have their photo created

Although the temps were - 40 with wind chill, It doesn't seem to bother my son Mark. He is used to walking the village no matter what the temps are.

Majik, in the first photo, what kind of tree.... look like "Palmtree" .... and why you call Barrow "Top of the world" ?????

Brrrrrrr -60F..... we had -35C for 4 days here and i was frozen..... how you make to endure these temperature for months.... ??

Regards,
    Ghislain from Quebec....

Well Abitibi101 - First of all - those palm trees are home made using an old driftwood tree and pieces of baleen !

How do we endure temps like this ?? (thicken your blood) it will help keep you warm(er). There are many tricks to keeping warmer, read the begining of my post.

It is more of what you eat and how you eat it that has the ingredients to keep you much warmer, When I first arrived in Point Hope, I thought it would be easy to keep warm using my pipeline gear, but I was sadly mistaken, I could not last 1/4 of a mile on a snow machine. I was frozen !!

But I started taking a tablespoon of Ugruuk oil every day to help thicken my blood, but having an eskimo hunting parky made for me did wonders to help keep the cold out. zippers are no good, the wind will always get through that space. But make no mistake, Eskimo's get just as cold out there, but they know how to deal with it, in many different ways & methods !!

Why do they call this the TOP OF THE WORLD ? Well in Alaska, you can't go any further north ( on land). The name of one of the hotels here in town is - Top of the world hotel !!

Well Abitibi101 - First of all - those palm trees are home made using an old driftwood tree and pieces of baleen !

How do we endure temps like this ?? (thicken your blood) it will help keep you warm(er). There are many tricks to keeping warmer, read the begining of my post.

It is more of what you eat and how you eat it that has the ingredients to keep you much warmer, When I first arrived in Point Hope, I thought it would be easy to keep warm using my pipeline gear, but I was sadly mistaken, I could not last 1/4 of a mile on a snow machine. I was frozen !!

But I started taking a tablespoon of Ugruuk oil every day to help thicken my blood, but having an eskimo hunting parky made for me did wonders to help keep the cold out. zippers are no good, the wind will always get through that space. But make no mistake, Eskimo's get just as cold out there, but they know how to deal with it, in many different ways & methods !!

Why do they call this the TOP OF THE WORLD ? Well in Alaska, you can't go any further north ( on land). The name of one of the hotels here in town is - Top of the world hotel !!

Thank you very much Majik, you answered my questions.... and more...! I'm waiting for much pictures if you can as well.....

Have a good week,
    Ghislain from Quebec
    Early to go to bed, and early to rise,
    Make a man wealthy and wise...!

Default Spring whaling - 2009 - Barrow Alaska

We have been invited on many crews, Matilida Adams crew (Jesse Eves)

Fredrick Browers Crew, (Mark & Khristopher)

Now it is time, finally, to make the final preparations to begin whaling !!
    Inupiaq whaling from the TOP OF THE WORLD - Barrow Alaska.

The days are cold, crisp, and refreshing. At the house of Whaling Captain - Johnathan Levitt - Sleds are dug out of the snow, cleaned off and make ready to head out to the ocean ice.. to ... .. BREAK TRAIL !!
    This is it, hard back breaking work, for hours & days upon end, It is no easy task to break trail.
    We received invites from The President of the Alaska Eskimo Whaling commission who is also a board member of the Internation Whaling Commission - Euguene Brower !

Day one was a 'test' to see and determine what type of workers the captain has on his crew.
    My 3 sons returned home some 14 hours later, worn out, sore, tired, and sunburned on their faces !
    Today, back out on the trail, they have a 15 foot high pressure ridge to go through, The Captain said, no sense going around it, lets just remove the whole thing and go right through it !
    Photos and perhaps the video of this job will be available tonight when I process the images the boys create using my eyes, today ! I say (my eyes) becuase I have spent 20 years teaching them, how to see, how to compose, so in essense they create in the exact same manner in which I have created over the last 40 or more years.

Searching - to find the best path. The huge ice piles are many miles out on the frozen ocean ice pack.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast