Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography as a "Hobby" .. .. ..

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Default Governor Sarah Palin @ whaling Festival in Barrow

Oops, she sees me, !!! It is obvious !! - We had a good quick chat and a hearty laugh !!
    Now for some of the not so common blanket toss !!

Nope I am not going to attempt that !

IN Barrow, during blanket toss, candy is thrown, and it is for the children of the village that are present at the sides of the blanket. In Point Hope, the tradition is totally different and with meaning ! Candy that is thrown, money, furs, and any other 'gifts', are for the 'elders' only !! Fierce competition is witnessed as the oldest women in the village, compete with one another to grab that prize. women in their 80's and up, running, jumping, diving head first into that gravel to claim their prize. A person only has to witness this once, to see how much different Barrow is from Point Hope in celebrating its culture of many thousands of years.
    Blanket toss had its origns down at the lead opening FOR MANY THOUSANDS OF YEARS for one purpose and one purpose ONLY !! Hunters would toss a hunter or captain into the air, for only one reason, to see if any animals are migrating through the lead opening ! that was the only purpose ! Everyone out on that ice pack is well aware of the wind and the dangers it presents, As long as that wind (Point Hope) is from the North, (prevailing wind), Life out on the ice continues day to day. No wind ? same situation applies, but everyone is instantly aware of what that can mean or represent. A change is coming.. .. if the North wind continues then all is well.. THE ONLY time, people 'killigvaq' (evacuate the ice in mass panic) is when that wind shifts to south wind. The North Slope Borough published a book in the early 80's, everyone in each village received a copy of this thick blue book. It was published by the 7 sisters - The common name for the Oil companies! this expression is heard all over the place in Prudhoe Bay. Back to the book, I am not able to correctly spell the name of that book, Puiiwiichaq But it was in this book that elders of all villages told stories of long ago, and it was in this book that I read Dina Frankson (Point Hope) tell of when she was out on the ice and a south wind would arrive, they would take a new born child and strip that child of all clothing and hold that child into the wind and move the child in the direction they NEEDED the wind to change so they could stay out there, and hunt for food !!
    Again Point Hope is way different from Barrow and as such I will present it in both views.. In Point Hope, the entire community of 700 people head out to the ocean to live on that ice pack for the entire two months. In Barrow a very small portion of the community is directly involved in the activities out on the ocean ice.

Landing correctly is not as easy as it might appear, candy is still flying all over the place from some of the pieces landing on the blanket itself. Each time that blanket is raised, the candy and the person on the blanket go high into the air. In Point Hope, only a woman that has given birth to her first born may get on the blanket to throw 'gifts' to the elders !!

Form, and laughter are the other aspects of blanket toss. what posture or position can you achieve during those 2 seconds in the air ?? Each person has their own unique style of jumping, and what to do once you are airborne.

Award winning form, of walking in the air, is very difficult to achieve. Much skill and practice is the only way to gain these skills. This is not like jumping on a trampoline. Nalakutaq is all together different !

Two successfull crews are honored, two huge cakes, Lots of dessert !! Yummy !

Lillian Lane (Johnson) from Point Hope sings an Inupiat song and recites a poem. There are always quite a few people here in Barrow from the village of Point Hope. These people in all of these villages are very close to each other no matter which village ! In such a vast area you would not think it possible for the different vilages to be in constant communication with each other but through the VHF radio(s) and the FM radio (KBRW) the whole region is UNITED as ONE. We use airplanes in the same manner you use automobiles !! We constantly fly.. to different villages & different cities - i.e. Fairbanks & Anchorage are the two popular destinations
    INUPIAQ VALUES are what keeps these people so closely knit ! It is sad that other people and cultures do not believe and act in this manner. When a person has to deliberatly lie and twist and change the truth to make his reputation counter increase, SOMETHING IS WRONG with that attitude and the types of people associated with that 'personality' !!

Default Man I remember..

back in 1994 or 1995, Greg Nothstien was doing the Blanket Toss in Anchorage for Spirit Days, & a young woman got on there & got tossed & broke her leg...You could hear & see the bone just break, NASTY! She never bent her knees...

2003 Jacob Lane - Point Hope.. came down wrong on the blanket and ripped the ligaments in his leg. he was in a cast for two years, he still cannot walk correctly !!

Default Good stuff

People shots are good. What is Governor Palin eating in the picture? Was she still pregnant?

These images were just created on June 30th of this year. Yes she is still pregnant, it has been all over the news in recent months.. She isn't eating anything. She was just walking to leave the area !

Default Palin's preggers AGAIN???

I thought she just had a baby??

Default Walking around Barrow.. .. ..

Some of the sights that are in plain view around the village of Barrow. Food being prepared, Skins being cleaned, for the new covers for the skin boats (umiaq). Umiaq's are everywhere you look in this village, some new, some of them, decades old, filled with stories of past whale hunts.

And then, you come across a new umiaq underconstruction. This is a lot of work to build a sea worthy craft, this requires very skilled workmanship.

An umiaq requires the use of 5 or 6 (Oogruk) (Bearded Seal) skins to cover the boat in the correct manner.

Everyplace you walk in this village, you will see, old umiaq wooden frames from boats used long ago. Whaling equipment is visible everyplace you walk and look in Barrow.

Default Whaling = Umaktaq

Children are in constant training in their own special ways & methods. Whaling is deep ingrained into their spirit !

Living in a whaling village is very exciting, watching the people work, seeing all of the work involved, BEFORE whaling ever gets started. I have said many times in other forums, it takes a whole year.. .. just to get ready to go whaling. The expense(s) that each captain has to invest is just staggering !!

You have absolutely no idea on the incredible amount of work involved to move hundreds of people many miles, and live out on that ice pack for two months time. One whaling captains sled collection. Moving all that is needed to each camp, requires dozens of dangerous trips out to the camp sites. Anything can happen out there, with no warning at all.

Having personally attended & photographed 5 whale hunts, spending a total time of 10 months or more living on that ice pack is a completly different frozen world for sure. There is just no way to put that experience into words that will impart the difficulty of doing the most menial of tasks.

Food is prepared well in advance, Jerky, (Panaqtaq), dried fish, dried caribou, dried Oogruk ribs. This takes many weeks or months depending on how the individual likes it prepared. Some like it soft and some like it very hard. It also depends on the weather, If it is hot and sunny it will only take a few weeks.

Panataq is delicious, I do not like eating fish per say, but dried salmon is absolutely delicious !!!

Lots more to follow.. .. .. soon !!

Default Walking around Barrow .. ..

Wooden umiaq frames .. ..

It doesn't matter where you walk in Barrow, wooden umiaq frames for skin boats are all over the place, in almost every yard you pass by.

The signs of a whaling captain are visible in many different ways. The big red 'floats' are visible, these are used to slow the whale down and also to track the whale in which direction they are headed once harpooned. The captains do not like to use the exploding bomb technique, for many reasons. 1,000 per shot is just one of the draw backs but if a whale is haprooned in this method and escapes the strike, it will most likely die with no harvest of the meat or blubber. Using the old fashioned method, the chances of the whale healing and recovering are much greater.

The international whaling commission imposes these regulations and as such the hunters are forced to use this new modern expensive method

A new modern snowmachine less than 5 years old sits beside a wooden frame of a skin boat that is many decades old. snow machines are expensive and they do not last very long up here, considering that many tens of thousands of miles are put on them in a year. Roy Sage of Point Hope bought a new snowmachine in 1989, In just one year he racked up over 65,000 miles on that machine. I saw his machine one year after he bought it and I could not believe the odometer that read over 68,000 miles. He sold it and bought a new one ! The expense that is required to hunt is staggering. Driving a snowmachine in temps of -40 below zero and traveling 2 hundred miles in one direction to get meat can be quite costly.

Default Walking around Barrow .. ..

Thanks for the uplifting comments.
    One of the very first things I came to appreciate about the Inupiaq way of life is the patient way in which we have to "wait" !

Food from the whale, from walrus and other 'sea' foods are stored in the underground 'siglauq'.

This is how huge pieces of blubber and meat are stored to ferment! This is the 'dangerous' food to eat.
    When that cover is taken off, and the person climbs down 20 - 30 feet into this frozen permafrost cache, a rope must be tied to the person climbing down.. just in case.
    when the cover is taken off. the fumes that are present can knock a person out quickly. That siglauq (Sig - lock) must be aired out to get those fumes out.
    This isn't to be taken lightly, this food, flippers and the tail of the whale is very powerful. TO eat fermented 'stink' meat or flippers or the tail, is very dangerous. NO sugar can be present in your system. NO fruit, no sugar in coffee, tea, etc. No soda pop or candy can be eaten if you want to partake of this food. When this food is eaten it 'boils' in your stomach releasing toxic gases. If sugar is present in your system that boiling action, will harden with a crust of sorts and the gases cannot escape, the person ends up dying from Botulisim !!
    IN addition to the dangers of eating this, it is also a 'downer'. Upon eating this, it makes you very sleepy I am told, by those that know.
    Henry Attanggana of Point Hope died in 1989 because he forgot he had eaten fruit earlier in the day.
    The tail of the whale is taken out of the siglauq when the first snow of the new winter covers the village. It is a day of celebration !!

Majik Imaje has finally opened our store in Barrow !!

3 weeks ago the Mayor of Barrow just gave us this store for a joint venture with the City of Barrow. My son Jesse has had much experience with tourists from our store in Anchorage in 2002 - 2003. Based on Jesse's knowledge and the Mayor having read ALL that I have posted about the Inupiat way of life, Mayor Michael D. Stotts was quite impressed at the amount of work we have been doing in promoting a POSITIVE image of the people of the North Slope.
    Our advertisment is on the television scanner channel and they want my son Jesse to do a radio article on the many different aspects of the Inupiat way of life.

Our images have won many awards over the years and as such they are in great demand all over the world.

WE just purchased an Epson 9880, 44" wide format printer, Some restraunts and 3 schools as well as the City offices and the North Slope Borough are about to be wall papered with FREE images throughout this entire city.

I do believe with all my heart, It is much BETTER to give, rather than to receive, that is the #1 reason ( I believe ) for our continued success !!

For anyone wishing to visit Barrow, we have a huge 12 room two story home with three extra bedrooms, We offer free food and free lodging for any that care to stop in and visit our shop @ 336 Oogruk st.

We are currently negotiating for a huge piece of land to purchase, we want to build a new 20 room hotel here in Barrow, Our goal is to just give the profits away to fund 9 new YOU-niversities for the children of the entire north slope in 9 different villages throughout the region.

All four of my sons have been asked to teach at the College, the high school and middle school and the elementary school, on how to create Arts & Crafts. The amount of money that can be made by working at home is absolutely staggering !

All five of us are all scheduled to be part of 5 different crews for the next spring hunt out on the ocean ice pack. Video movies is our main focus for the next hunt, I promise you spectacular images and videos from this next hunt, up close and personal like no one else can possibly create.

Our house.. .. in Barrow !

So if your in town, come in and stop by !! We are sure to make your stay more than comfortable !!!

Default How to prepare a WALRUS !!

WALRUS for supper time takes a great deal of preparation !! This is a skill that only the Inupiat people possess. I have no idea which end is which !

The only thing I am interested in are the three sets of tusks from those three walrus he got earlier in the day.

Rebecca Brower and her husband hard at work preparing food for the freezer. Filling up all the freezers for the long dark cold winter is first priority in the summer time. Stock up on food, from the ocean, and some from the rivers, some from the land and the air also with many varieties of birds, ducks, geese, owls. Soon it will be time for picking berries.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT : See those whiskers? that are very hard and are often used in sewing as a "needle" they are that sharp and hard enough to use for that purpose !! Quite a 'pin cushion' eh ?

All types of 'bones' from the whale (vertebrae), caribou antlers and a huge rack from a Moose I presume.

Baleen is often seen outside of many homes around the village. Each of the successfull crew members receive quite a portion of this valuable substance. It can be made into a variety of Arts & Crafts which many families rely on for a steady income.

It requires great skill to work with this substance. It requires many hours to clean baleen and there are many different tricks employed to achieve that final shine.

Lots more to follow soon !

Default exactly

thats exactly some of the problems we face every day . If someone used that kind of logic here in the city against village visitors they would be tarred and feathered...

Default Walking around Barrow

Seeing the sights, finding interesting topics to capture, to create images of the Inupiat culture & lifestyle.

Perhaps the most enjoyable recreation in any village is just to 'ride around'.. Girls just want to have fun ! These children just love to ride, ride, ride, all day long, in any village, and as such, 4 wheel honda's are a skill for children to learn and to joyride. It doesn't matter which village, this is #1 pastime. Children learn these skills at a very early age.

Inupiaq Pride, Alaska Native pride is evident in many forms, in many different ways around the different villages and Barrow is no different than any village, it is just more populated than any other village (above the Arctic Circle).

Are there any people out there, that are handy with tools and ambition ? Then there are many houses for sale that present a challenge, and are affordable to fix and occupy.

Default Some great news in Barrow !!

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    thats exactly some of the problems we face every day . If someone used that kind of logic here in the city against village visitors they would be tarred and feathered...
    Thanks for your cryptic comments !

August 15th Barrow Alaska.. .. One person, went up against three Oil companies, this has been in court for 9 years. This one person won his case and the judge ordered the Oil companies to pay the check in 30 days time. One person here in Barrow was just awarded OVER $250,000,000 !

Yes Over 250 million dollars because the Oil companies 'TOOK" his fathers land. Less than 5 people here in Barrow are aware of this event. A phone call was made to point Hope by the person himself to inform family members of the outcome.

After taxes he will get 189,000,000 One of the first things this person wants to accomplish is to build a brand new Chuck E Cheese here in Barrow so that children of the North Slope will have a much nicer place to hold birthday parties for the children. Stay tuned for further developments.. It will be in the news.. .. soon !! (guaranteed) !!

Default Tourists in Barrow

Each September a huge cruise liner from Germany arrives here in Barrow.

Tourists are eager to explore Barrow and see the sights and purchase gifts to bring back to their homeland.

September the oneth, it is cold for these tourists as you can see by the manner in which they are dressed.

Default October 4th - Fall whaling in Barrow... begins !!

Just as it was last year, Fall Whaling begins on October 4th for one week.

The quota this year is 14 whales for Barrow, most of the other villages do not participate in fall whaling. Barrow is different !!

We are assigned to the Brower crew, Fredrick Brower is the captain of this crew.

During the morning, we headed out to the launch area, the sea was too rough, so we had to wait until the afternoon. The weather cleared slightly and we headed out to search for the mighty Bowhead Whale.

Default Fall Whaling in Barrow

So far, (October 8th) three whales have been harvested !!

Search & Rescue had to come out to our location many miles out on the ocean outside of Barrow. The outboard died and we had to get towed back to land to fix the problems.

By the time we had repairs all fixed, we headed back out, the sunset was wonderful and the sea is a peaceful place to enjoy and hunt.

One crew in our area, just harvested a whale, we arrived to help and get ningik (shares).

Each crew receives a share (size) in the order in which they arrive to assist the crew that harvested that whale. Flippers and flukes must be removed. The rigging associated with a towing a whale is much too complicated for me to describe. The proper knots must be used, or you will never get that rope off the whale. Knots tighten and a bowling knot should be used so that the rope unties easily and quickly.

Some of the blood from the whale is visible in the water to the left of the whale.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast