Thread: Tanning problems

Default Tanning problems

Well, I tried my hand at tanning a coyote hide. I guess I'll leave it to the pros. I don't know what the issue was. After oiling it and trying to dry it, it still seems real oily. I washed the hide, fleshed it, degreased it, salted, rehydrated it, did a little more fleshing and then went into tanning. I did it im my basement which is about 50-54 degrees. Maybe that was too cold? It's damp in my basement as well, too much moisture in the air?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

That may be to cold for it to dry properly. I wish I knew where you are finding coyotes around here I try calling them in the north pole area all the time and no luck. I to want to try tanning myself but that requires finding a dog first so you are one step ahead.

I got mine in one of my snares. I've called in a few not far from my house. There's Lynx and Fox out here too. I've called in a few fox out here too, my Lynx I got in a snare. It shouldn't be too hard for a sniper should it?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Well, I tried my hand at tanning a coyote hide. I guess I'll leave it to the pros. I don't know what the issue was. After oiling it and trying to dry it, it still seems real oily. I washed the hide, fleshed it, degreased it, salted, rehydrated it, did a little more fleshing and then went into tanning. I did it im my basement which is about 50-54 degrees. Maybe that was too cold? It's damp in my basement as well, too much moisture in the air?

Would need a few more details, your post leaves things a bit vague.. But I will try to answer with what you wrote and try and help.. Word of advise, Tannerys tan and finish hides, electricians work with wires, electricity, etc.. and a plumber fixes pipes.. as a auto mechanic fixes cars.. trucks and engines. With that being said and im not trying to be a smarty pants or discourage anyone form tanning their own hides or furs.. It's not unrealistic to tan your own hides.. it can be done but not with the same results as you would get by sending it to a tannery or going through a taxidermist (who would send it out) to a tannery also for the most part.. I know, their are exceptions...

After oiling it, the hide feels oily.. It should.. you just oiled it.. Now the oil needs to penetrate the hide, then the hide needs to be broken to a supple and soft state. This is usually done in large drums that (tannerys use).. the hides are tumbled in hundreds if not thousands of pounds of sawdust in 9-12' drums..after they are oiled.. drying and breaking the hide at the same time.. also chemicals are added to the sawdust to give the fur a nice sheen..I think your steps are out of order..
    After you washed it, then fleshed it.. how did you degrease it? Degreasing is a step that is done in the pickle process.. nothing mentioned of that process in the post.. (could be the problem).. why salt, then rehydrate if your self tanning? Salting is done to preserve it while waiting to be tanned.. the hide is rehydrated in the pickle.. basically a acid bath with a PH of under 2.0 In short to properly tan a hide is as follows:
    1. Skin, flesh, turn, split and salt..
    2. Pickle for 72 hours, drain, flesh again and put back in the pickle for 24 more hours.. Pickle needs to be at a PH of 2.0 or less.
    3. pull from pickle, rinse, neutralize, let drain for a hour.. neutralize at a PH of 7.0
    4. Tan.. many methods.. brush on, sumbersian.. etc..
    5. once tan, rinse, let hang for a hour to drain..
    6. Tanning Oil on the skin side...
    7. Fold skin to skin and leave for 12-24 hours
    8. Wash, rinse and either mount it, freeze it, or tumble and break it..

Well I don't think shooting them is the problem I just can't seem to call any in. I got a lynx a while back but that was just by chance. I just got a fox pro caller not to long ago and it has yet to pay for itself. Oh well it will someday.

[QUOTE=Hoytguy;913940]Would need a few more details, your post leaves things a bit vague.. But I will try to answer with what you wrote and try and help.. Word of advise, Tannerys tan and finish hides, electricians work with wires, electricity, etc.. and a plumber fixes pipes.. as a auto mechanic fixes cars.. trucks and engines. With that being said and im not trying to be a smarty pants or discourage anyone form tanning their own hides or furs.. It's not unrealistic to tan your own hides.. it can be done but not with the same results as you would get by sending it to a tannery or going through a taxidermist (who would send it out) to a tannery also for the most part.. I know, their are exceptions...

QUOTE]

The home tanning kit I had didn't call for pickling, I guess because of the paste that is rubbed on the hide. Maybe in this kit that takes place of submerging it in a pickling agent. Reading back over my original post the process I used was typed a bit out of order. I skinned, split, turned and fleshed. Then I washed and degreased the hide. The reason why I salted it was because I was going out of town for about a week and the kit I used said you can salt it if you aren't tanning it right away. When I got back from Anchorage I rehydrated it and began the tanning process. I think it was because of the humidity and temperature where I did it that didn't let the oil dry properly but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo4hunter View Post
    Well I don't think shooting them is the problem I just can't seem to call any in. I got a lynx a while back but that was just by chance. I just got a fox pro caller not to long ago and it has yet to pay for itself. Oh well it will someday.
    I was just busting your balls B4, send me a PM and let me know where you are doing your calling. Time is getting short for us but I might be able to point you in a better direction if you want some coyote or fox.