Thread: black bear dates

Question black bear dates

I am new at bear hunting.....
    I hear that May is the time to go coastal black bear hunting, but what about the middle of June? Do the bears move up into the mountains by then?
    In the middle of June the bears should be coming out of the rut, right? So they might still be moving around, right?
    I suppose it depends alot on the weather--if it is good weather do they spend less time on the shore? Is there a web site that predicts the spring movement of bears?
    Thank you in advance for any information that you might give!
    jones

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Black Bears

We hunt out of Valdez and usually try to get out around mid-May. Depending on the snow year, the beach may be dry or you may have a foot or two of snow to contend with. We never have any trouble finding bears though. Typically they are feeding on the grasses and skunk cabbage that comes up early on the beach.

Seems to me like mid-June would be a little late. The weather will be getting quite warm and the bears will probably be heading into the hills by then.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Snow Year

Speaking of snow year......

Up to Jan. we had 256" of snow and we were headed to record snow depth levels. In Feb. we only got .6". Yep, .6". It has been really cold and windy and the snow is packed pretty hard. Very cold temperatures too.

So it is hard to say what the snow levels will be this year. South slopes already show some bare spots. But up high, it is brutal....80 mph+ winds and well below -40 or less (less might not be the correct word, but heading to the extreme negatives) windchills.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

May bears tend to have the best coat. When you get into mid June it warming up and the bears tend to have more rub marks.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK