Thread: 19' thunderjet luxor question

Default 19' thunderjet luxor question

Do not know anything about these boats. The boat has a Vortex V6 Chevy enging and 2 stage jet pump. 12 degrees dead rise.

Now the question: Pro and Cons about this boat.
    How limited is it to how shallow water it will run in and how hard to unstick if it get stuck?

anyone have experience with these? Thanks in advance.

Ok, ill go first...

Those 4.3 V-6 engines kind of heavy. They have a balance shaft to counter act the vibrations which adds weight. I actually believe they are just a bit heaver than the 5.7 V-8. I believe they were rated to about 225 hp, where most of the 5.7's were around 310 hp. I have usually seen this motor coupled to a AT-309 variant and sometimes a 2 stage, where the v-8's are normally hooked to a 212 or the 3 stage.

If your impellers are right, I think the boat will do OK. Probably run about 40 top end speed. It will run the rivers pretty good, and will be a bit rough in the salt. You will be able to get to almost every major (well known) fishing hole on the Susitna drainage most of the time. The 2 stage and that 12 degree hull will manage aerated water pretty good and should stay hooked up without a bunch of slide in corners. It will probably run in 4-5 inches. When you stick it...it wont be too much fun. The hull will not be bullet proof and the boat wont be light. Expect to accumulate dents when you stick it hard if on gravel. I dont think they had very thick bottoms on the older ones, but I think they are better now.

I had a similar boat a few years ago. 20 ft Weldcraft renegade with the 4.3 and AT-309. It worked for me at the time since I didn't really do any real exploring. It was OK out of the hole and the top end was around 40. When loaded, the boat took more water and didn't pop out of the hold as well. It was only a 5 foot bottom though. If that TJ is a 6 footer it should be better.

Overall, I think its a decent all around boat. What would be your main use of the boat? How much load would you put into it? How far would you go on an average trip?

If you are looking at one of the ones on Craigslist, They seem a bit overpriced. Just my opinion. I would expect around 20K...
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Fisrt thanks for replying. The main use is so coastal water, whitter, valdez, and seward. Silver fishing. Then I have a friend who has a cabin on Lake Louise so there. Also, Deshkia for some kings etc. Mainly 4 adults and little gear. Just a boat to get me and the wife on the water.
    Your correct, there are a few on craigslist, and I was going to see what the bottom $ is but I am also trying to do some homework. I looked at wooldridge but the anchorage dealer is on crack..... New old stock and was asking more then new.

Every boat I called on right now seems to still be in storage and the seller is not really ready to sell. I am going to look at a few and see what comes up.

I will call south to the dealer and see what the bottom with is before I go look at it.

thanks again
    Darryl

If you are interested in a Wooldridge I would just call them down in Washington, they are very good to work with and they can customize it to your liking. The barge rates were under $2k depending on the size the last I checked.

Sounds like you could get away with a bit steeper V. I would maybe look into a boat with a 14 degree bottom. Try to get it with trim tabs to help in the chop. The trip to the deshka can be made with any type of jet, so you probably dont need one that is going to run super shallow. Pretty much any larger river jet would work. Don't rule out Wooldridge, North River, Hewes, Weldcraft, or Jetcraft. I would just make sure they have a bit of a V and you should be alright.

Most of the bigger water jets would work good for what you want.

Check out the for sale section at meanchicken. http://www.meanchicken.net/webmain/f...forum.php?f=39

There is a great selection of boats on there, just have to do a drive... Snowwolfe just got a fantastic deal on one.

Joe
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

If you have not yet done so, search craigslist by city in the NW lower 48 if you are looking for a jet boat. Boats down there seem to be about 15-25% less than the same used boats up here. A long drive and some of your time can reap huge rewards in the end.
    Tennessee

I operate a 2002 20' Thunderjet Luxor with the V6 Chevy and a Kodiak pump for work and I would personally never purchase one. They are real heavy and underpowered. With the 45 gallon tank full of fuel, 30 gallons of spare gas onboard, a kicker motor, my survival gear and me, it takes everthing it has to get up on step and it comes off step real quick. Once on step it is not too bad, average 26 mph up river and 30 down river, but it uses a lot more gas than a V8 and just as noisy. It does well with one foot chop or two to three foot rollers, but anything more and it gets hairy. The steering is not real responsive and it "wallows" more than turns sharp. Ok for moderate river running and large bodies of water on good days, but with the jet, I would be concerned about going in too big of water. Its a nice looking boat with a full canopy and heater. We got it stuck on a sand bar and it took three skiffs and a Prowler on the beach to pull it off, lucky we were right in front of a village. The thrust bearing becomes a real problem if too much grease it pushed into it. Too much grease will shove the seal on the back out and when the grease gets hot, it starts to drip out and then the bearing burns up and one is done. So, two little squirts every 15 hours is all she will take. My opinion would be to spend a little more $$ and purchase a V8 Thunderjet versus the V6. Resale will be a lot better on a V8.

So I picked up one of these boats with the 4.3 and have a question if someone has the time for an answer. What RPM should this motor run at? With 4 people and full of gas it goes up to ~3400 RPM max, maybe less. It does 40 though so no complaints but shouldnt that motor make better power at higher RPMs? Seems like the impellors are for speed more than load. I am new to inboards so I'm not sure. It does behave similar to how everyone has described - seems kind of thin in the hull, little sluggish to get on step, and kinda heavy. But lots of fun with the kids in the lake and I'm thinking it will do ok on the rivers maybe some good days at whittier. My experience is on Kwethluk and Kisaralik off of Kuskoquim river and only Little Su in Valley. Havent hit Big Su or other drainages yet but hope to start checking it out this summer. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ateammoto View Post
    So I picked up one of these boats with the 4.3 and have a question if someone has the time for an answer. What RPM should this motor run at? With 4 people and full of gas it goes up to ~3400 RPM max, maybe less. It does 40 though so no complaints but shouldnt that motor make better power at higher RPMs? Seems like the impellors are for speed more than load. I am new to inboards so I'm not sure. It does behave similar to how everyone has described - seems kind of thin in the hull, little sluggish to get on step, and kinda heavy. But lots of fun with the kids in the lake and I'm thinking it will do ok on the rivers maybe some good days at whittier. My experience is on Kwethluk and Kisaralik off of Kuskoquim river and only Little Su in Valley. Havent hit Big Su or other drainages yet but hope to start checking it out this summer. Thanks!
    I have the same motor in a Alumaweld. 3400 seems low. take the boat to a repair shop with a scan tool and have them check the tach to see if it is reading correctly. My runs around 5000 at 40 miles an hour but I usually run it at 3600 to save fuel.

Question: how low is that little sucker?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    I have the same motor in a Alumaweld. 3400 seems low. take the boat to a repair shop with a scan tool and have them check the tach to see if it is reading correctly. My runs around 5000 at 40 miles an hour but I usually run it at 3600 to save fuel.

Question: how low is that little sucker?
    Don't care how low it is, but I'd be interested in how loud it is...