Thread: Pack frames and shippping questions

Default Pack frames and shippping questions

How do you guys ship cabelas or barneys pack frames from the lower 48 to alaska inside a big duffel, tapped to outside of hard gun case? everything i read says dont bring 1 large duffel to fly out but 2 smaller duffels..... all thoughts appreciated..........

Default Action packer

I pack mine in a action packer with the stuff I am going to put in the pack, then leave it at the flight service. Pack the duffels in the packer as well

Default Air luggage

I put my pack inside of a large duffle (decoy bag). My rifle goes in it's case as my second checked bag. And I carry-on a personals bag. I NEVER check my pack without a covering of some sort, use a garbage bag if nothing else available. Loose straps, buckles and loops on the pack have a tendence to catch on things (conveyers, other luggage, etc.) and I have observed workers sling packs around like playtoys.

With all of that being said, I have looked into a snowboad bag that would fit my rifle and some additional item. Most are around 61" in length and cheaper ones run $30-$60.

I travel every where with my pack loaded somewhat( Freighter) and the rest of my stuff in the duffle bag that carry's my pack frame. After 911
    I started using a cooler and put everything that goes in the pack in the cooler and diamond hitch the cooler to the frame. Then I can use the cooler for meat. Travel around Alaska I try to always fly small couriers
    as they are easier to get along with regarding inspections. Day pack full as a carry on and the normal hard two gun case.

Neal

Default Snowboard bag

BucknRut,

with those snowboard bags, wouldn't you worry about knocking your scope off when they throw the bags around?? I have looked at those too, but passed. I go with a two gun case, and can fit a crap load of stuff in there along with my rifle.

I'm planning on using one of the Quik Packer frames when I go to Kodiak this year. I hope it works out.

--Bill

http://www.crosscreektrading.com/sho...&products_id=8

We ship everything ahead. That way we don't go over the bag limit. Much more convenient. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mtcop71 View Post
    BucknRut,

with those snowboard bags, wouldn't you worry about knocking your scope off when they throw the bags around?? I have looked at those too, but passed. I go with a two gun case, and can fit a crap load of stuff in there along with my rifle.
    mtcop, the few that I looked at would fit my two-gun case in it along with other gear (and still be under the 60" and 50# restriction). Reason for this is to avoid overweight luggage. I haven't made up my mind entirely on this yet.

Next weekend I will be heading down to Texas for a hog hunt. Since I won't be needing as much gear (warm weather) I will be packing gear in a large cooler. On the return trip I will send my gear (much cheaper than extra luggage) and hopefully have a cooler full of meat packed on dry ice on the plane with me!

Default Ship

Last year I shipped my gear back home and traveled back with my sheep in a action packer.

Default careful there-

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    mtcop, the few that I looked at would fit my two-gun case in it along with other gear (and still be under the 60" and 50# restriction). Reason for this is to avoid overweight luggage. I haven't made up my mind entirely on this yet.

Next weekend I will be heading down to Texas for a hog hunt. Since I won't be needing as much gear (warm weather) I will be packing gear in a large cooler. On the return trip I will send my gear (much cheaper than extra luggage) and hopefully have a cooler full of meat packed on dry ice on the plane with me!
    Bucknut,

Careful on dry ice in coolers; you are restricted to no more than 5# per package in checked luggage, and you cannot tape the lid on the cooler. It has to be able to expand.

You must declare dry ice when you check in. A better bet if you have time is to freeze the meat ahead of time and skip the dry ice. It will not thaw by the time it gets here.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Packs and Duffels

Quote Originally Posted by 300stw View Post
    How do you guys ship cabelas or barneys pack frames from the lower 48 to alaska inside a big duffel, tapped to outside of hard gun case? everything i read says dont bring 1 large duffel to fly out but 2 smaller duffels..... all thoughts appreciated..........
    Put your pack in a large duffel bag for the trip up, for the reasons already mentioned. When you get here, leave the duffel with your air charter for the return trip.

When I was loading airplanes, I really had a problem with pack frames taped to coolers. They don't stack well, and are a real problem in the belly of an aircraft. Better off to put it in a duffel; less chance of damage.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default open to suggestions

Thanks Michael, I am aware of the 5# rule on dry ice. We will be hunting in Texas (kinda warm) and it's a short trip (3 days). If we take game on the first day we will have plenty enough time to get it to the freezer and will pack with no dry ice, otherwise I don't have much of a choice...unless someone has got a different alternative?? I'd like to hear about it.
    buck

I have used dry ice. It isn't that bad. If you freeze your meat ahead of time with the addition of the dry ice it will be very cold. I have never heard of not being able to tape the lid. I did on my cooler and the gal behind the counter didn't bat an eye. Easiest way would be to call the carrier and have them fax you their regulations on it. That way you won't have any problems at the counter.

Default Decoy Bag

A decoy bag is plenty big and tough enough to send a fully packed frame. Plus, most of us will find additional use for the bag, and alot cheaper than many other options.

Terry

Default Dry Ice in Checked Luggage

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I have used dry ice. It isn't that bad. If you freeze your meat ahead of time with the addition of the dry ice it will be very cold. I have never heard of not being able to tape the lid. I did on my cooler and the gal behind the counter didn't bat an eye. Easiest way would be to call the carrier and have them fax you their regulations on it. That way you won't have any problems at the counter.
    Nitro,

Here's a quote from Alaska Airline's website:

"Dry ice may be placed in carry-on and checked baggage subject to the following limitations: In all cases, the packaging must allow for the release of carbon dioxide gas. For carry-on baggage, each person may carry up to 4 pounds of dry ice. In checked baggage, the limit is 5 pounds per package. The package must be marked with the net weight of the dry ice or the statement that the net weight of dry ice is 5 pounds or less. The name of the contents being cooled, along with the words "Dry Ice" or "Carbon Dioxide, Solid" must be on the outside of the package."

The current policy at Alaska Airlines is that coolers which have the lid taped are not able to release carbon dioxide gas adequately. Therefore the lids may not be taped. It would be a mistake to assume that because an individual agent failed to deal with your situation properly, that you could expect similar results in the future. This is a potentially serious safety issue that must be done correctly. If dry ice is undeclared or if it is improperly packaged, and damage results to the aircraft or other contents of the cargo compartment, I can assure you that your travel arrangements will be.... er... somewhat delayed. These days you will find that there is zero tolerance for deviations from safety regulations when it comes to air travel.

Most of the requirements pertaining to Hazardous Materials such as dry ice come from the Federal Government (the Department of Transportation), and are catalogued in Title 49 CFR. Individual airlines must meet the legal minimums of Title 49 CFR, but may impose additional requirements as they choose. In this case, Alaska Airline's policy is nearly identical to the language in 49 CFR. Here's a read directly from the relevant section of Title 49 CFR, as it relates to the carriage of dry ice in carry-on and checked luggage:

"(10) Dry ice (carbon dioxide, solid), in quantities not exceeding 2.0 kg (4.4 pounds) per person in carry-on baggage or 2.3 kg (5 pounds) per person in checked baggage, when used to refrigerate perishables. The packaging must permit the release of carbon dioxide gas. For checked baggage, the package must be marked “DRY ICE” or “CARBON DIOXIDE, SOLID” and must be marked with the net weight of dry ice or an indication the net weight is 2.3 kg (5 pounds) or less."

You should also note that undeclared dry ice can kill live animals loaded in the same cargo compartment. ALWAYS declare dry ice, ALWAYS keep the quantities at or below the legal maximum, and ALWAYS follow the proper packaging requirements.

Finally, it is the passengers responsibility to know and adhere to all regulations. That's why air carriers post those regulations on their websites. I realize that you were not advocating illegal practices, and were only sharing an inconsistency you experienced. But there was an implication that someone may not need to follow this requirement. I assure you, as an instructor at Alaska Airlines who is tasked with teaching these standards to employees, that this is incorrect and could get folks into trouble.

Nothing personal here, just making sure folks understand their responsibilities. As a practical matter between hunters, I have found the use of dry ice to be totally unnecessary, and I've shipped meat and fish all over the country, even in summer. If it's frozen and packed properly you don't need ice of any kind. The meat or fish is its own ice. I've even shipped fresh marlin and dorado with no ice of any kind, from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, clear to Alaska with no problems whatsoever.

It should also be noted that regular ice is expressly forbidden, as are styrofoam coolers. These are strictly a matter of airline policy though, and may change from one carrier to another. Alaska does it to protect passenger luggage from water damage resulting from leaking coolers.

Finally, do not count on your cooler remaining upright during transport. Therefore, I always line my cooler with a heavy-duty plastic contractor bag and then seal the bag around everything before I close the cooler.

In summary, simplify your life and skip the ice. NEVER try to bring dry ice over the legal limit, and NEVER try to sneak it through undeclared!

Regards,

-Mike

if you are worried about dry ice in your cooler just open the drain to allow it to vent

Default Traveling Tips

I use the new type soft cooler bags. Hard freeze my game and fish to take it to the lower 48, these new coolers really work well and can be packed in very little space for the return flight. For my rifles, I remove the barrel from the stock, leaving the scope mounted and put it in a shotgun case. I then place that in a large duffle style bags with wheels. The firearm is checked and the tag goes in the hard case and then in the duffle. Impossible to tell that a firearm is in the bag. Just used this method to bring home a 22-250 I bought in Texas last month. Just be mindful of the liner restriction. I believe it is 62 total inches. L+W+H . Using the soft-sided coolers my meat is still frozen as hard as a rock even after 20 plus hour in route. My pack frame would fit in this duffel as well. You can carry on the pack with all the forbidded items removed of course. Wear your heavy hunting boots and jackets.

Steve

Default The problem with drains on coolers

Quote Originally Posted by highcountry View Post
    if you are worried about dry ice in your cooler just open the drain to allow it to vent
    Highcountry,

I hear ya, but the problem is that some of the drains can be accidentally pushed closed during the handling process. We talked about this at work a long time ago, but the bottom line is no tape around the lid if dry ice is inside. Period.

-Mike

I shipped mine from ANC to Kotz with nothing, just 50lbs of stuff and this is what I got -----A nice steady stick for future hunts
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Dry Ice on Airlines

Bucnrut, be aware some airlines are not allowing dry ice at all on their flights. Leaving Alaska last summer,Sun Country would not let me have dry ice in my cooler to keep fish frozen. They took it out and disposed of it. Make sure you check with whatever airline you are flying on.