Thread: Radar

Default Radar

I have the original radar on my boat (2004 Hewescraft), but I have no idea how to operate it. I have tried many times and I don't know if I'm using it correctly, and I can't really tell what I'm looking at. There are a bunch of buttons with letters/numbers that I don't recognize. Is there anyone that can help me with this? I am going to buy a Garmin 740s this month and I am almost ready to pay an extra $1000 for the garmin radar that shows on the screen because I don't know how to work the one that is on the boat. Any ideas?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

get a make/model number off the radar - see if you can contact the manufacturer and get an operators manual.../John

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    get a make/model number off the radar - see if you can contact the manufacturer and get an operators manual.../John
    Better yet, just Google for the operators manual. You'll prob get it in a PDF format, done it many times.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I don't have a Garman but it took a while with my Simrad I needed to understand the range of the scan, I think a bit closer is better. It has a bit of a fisheye effect, if that makes any sense. When I was headed out of Seward with lots of targets I would turn it on and play around with range and known features. Started to make sense after a few trips. The big thing about radar is it gives you the ability to move safely in zero visibility conditions. The sounder and the GPS/Moving map tells you where you are and the radar says what is on the water around you. Use it a lot on clear days so you can relate to the images on the screen. Try to size or overlay the GPS/Map with the radar, if the garman can do that.

Just a few thoughts ...

I have used a radar in a boat a recreational fisherman a bit before. To get "good" at radar it takes practice during clear days when you can see what is around you.

I just purchased a Garmin 740s with the radar for my 28 foot boat. Before purchase it I researched the 740s for almost a year. Last Oct Garmin upgraded the unit to allow for "chart overlay." Which gives you the ability to overlay the radar over your chart plotter which therefore should make it easier to understand where you are, if you are familar with using a chart plotter. I live in Valdez and we seem to get our share of the fog that suddenly lowers on the water and I have come into the harbor more times then I like with just the chartplotter (going very slow). From all the reviews I read the Garmin 740s is easy to use, easy to install all around unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod123 View Post
    I have used a radar in a boat a recreational fisherman a bit before. To get "good" at radar it takes practice during clear days when you can see what is around you.

I just purchased a Garmin 740s with the radar for my 28 foot boat. Before purchase it I researched the 740s for almost a year. Last Oct Garmin upgraded the unit to allow for "chart overlay." Which gives you the ability to overlay the radar over your chart plotter which therefore should make it easier to understand where you are, if you are familar with using a chart plotter. I live in Valdez and we seem to get our share of the fog that suddenly lowers on the water and I have come into the harbor more times then I like with just the chartplotter (going very slow). From all the reviews I read the Garmin 740s is easy to use, easy to install all around unit.
    Thanks Rod 123. I'll probably pull the trigger. It's a lot of money, creeping up on 3k, I hope it's worth it. Sounds like you like yours.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

One additional thought .... buddy of mine is a Coast Gaurd guy and I think that he said that if you have Radar on board and you hit something or some one on the water in zero ... zero conditions .... you are at fault, if you have it you need to know how to use it, I think there is additional responsibility there when you have it and a comittment by you to understand and use it.

I went with it and have had great outcomes especially when a marine layer would have had the GPS only guys turning back .... not big seas just crappy visibility.