Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side Stripe Shrimp

Default Side Stripe Shrimp

So I know everyone targets the spot prawns out of whittier. But if my recollection serves me correctly, the side stripe shrimp is a bit closer to the Amaebi (sweet shrimp) found in higher end sushi places.

Are there decent populations in the whittier area? I figure its like asking where I can catch pink salmon during the king salmon season so I thought I'd ask.

I've read they are more mud bottom types then Spot shrimp which are more structure and rocks kinda environment.

If I HAVE to settle for spot shrimp, then so be it. lol.

There has been a commercial sidestripe fishery out of Whittier for quite some time now, but all the fishing is done by dragging, not pots. I'm not sure if this is because the sidestripes aren't attracted to bait or because of the depth they're found at, but it's all dragging to my knowledge. The fishing is concentrated in Port Wells and Perry Passage, and yes, that is primarily a muddy bottom.

Only a few of the shrimp I catch are side stripe. Mostly spot. I don't particularly care for the taste of spot shrimp so I usually just throw them back. Just kidding.

You are right Brian, they are vegitarian. But you will catch a few in pots now and then. Some places do allow PU shrimp trawling.

The side stripes and there's quite a few of them out there, are in the mud. I think your mistaken on the side being sushi grade shrimp. I will trade you my sides for your spots. LOL I throw my sides back. They taste like mud to me. Not chicken

Interesting stuff. Vegetarian? Thanks. I have bought sidestripe at the store and they were great raw. But I can see if they live on the mud bottoms how they could "acquire" the taste.

I was thinking if you could find them shallower since I want to try some shrimping from a kayak this year or just untargeted, it might have some decent results. Okay, sounds like there is a reason for targeting the spots. No harm in sticking to the spot shrimp!

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    You are right Brian, they are vegitarian.
    I thought that was the case, but I wasn't certain...didn't want to pass along inaccurate information.

For those that say you toss them back and that they have a muddy taste, are you sure you're not referring to either coonstripe or pink (humpback) shrimp? I can't recall ever catching a sidestripe shrimp in a pot in PWS. I'm sure it happens, but it would be rare at best. I do catch coonstripe and pink shrimp with regularity, though. As for coonstripes, I think they're sweeter than the spots.

Your right Brian I assumed he meant coons. I call them stripes. They may be sweeter there also mushier and muddy tasting to me. IMO I as do most prefer the spots for the best table fair.

Here's a link with a photo of all the shrimp you are talking about.

http://www.monkeyfacenews.typepad.com/

Its a big page but just scroll down about a third of the way and you'll see the photo with 5 species of shrimp. Pretty cool for figuring out what you're catching. I've mostly caught spots and only a few coons.

tastey little buggers those sidestripes... What about pink shrimp?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakn View Post
    Your right Brian I assumed he meant coons. I call them stripes. They may be sweeter there also mushier and muddy tasting to me. IMO I as do most prefer the spots for the best table fair.
    I agree that spots are king of shrimp when cooked. The others it seems like most are good but enough are soft and mushy it turns me when boiled or steamed.

I am talking about eating the shrimp raw. The spots are also excellent, texture very firm for raw shrimp but to me, it seems like they aren't as sweet. But I can't say I have ever tried them side by side.

I was interested in the other species because if they were under harvested like say pink salmon by sports fishermen, maybe they would be easier. Plus I was looking to fish something shallower since I want to do it out of a kayak and I also hear that you have a higher chance of catching an octopus in shallower pots...say 300 ft or so. As long as eventually I got enough shrimp, for eating preference I'd prefer to see an Octopus come up in a pot. A large part due to the fact I can buy shrimp but it seems rare to be able to come up with good quality Octopus for human consumption around here and its never fresh (not frozen) or raw.

Kardinal84
    When you catch that 80 pound Octopus and your in your kayak, call me... I want to watch that show play out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakn View Post
    Kardinal84
    When you catch that 80 pound Octopus and your in your kayak, call me... I want to watch that show play out.
    Ya you bet! I will need the help. I should have a video rolling so I will post it. haha. I've wondered what would happen. I plan to carry a burlap bag specifically for the purpose. The goal for kayak fishing this year is to catch one of those either in a pot or any other method out of a kayak.

I've wondered what i would do if i ever hooked into something too big fishing alone like a 100 pound halibut which is completely within the realm of possibility if not rare. As I day dream, jubilation of towing in a big fish like that quickly gets wiped out by a salmon shark or sea lion slamming it and me being in the water with them. Or maybe the halibut just wakes up. Either way, tied off to a 9ft Kayak probably ends up in a very bad outcome for me. Reality is I will probably freak, squeal like a little girl, and either cut the line or drop the rod before it ever gets to that point. I'd love to catch one, but I don't need to die trying to eat one...there's always Sagaya's.

lol...hijacking my own thread...

In this town if you go to a sushi bar and they serve you raw shrimp it will be side stripe, and if you’re lucky they will serve up tempera shrimp heads. Usually the tempera shrimp heads are free because a lot of folks will not eat them. First time I had them it was a bit of a challenge, now just bring it on. Grab the pointy snout and dip in some sauce and chomp em down.
    The problem with spot shrimp is they are not commercially available except for a short time in the spring, and this will be the second commercial year for spot in many years. I also think side stripes are more stable with the heads on for prolonged periods because that is how the sushi restaurants receive them, could be wrong on this.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I agree that spots are king of shrimp when cooked. The others it seems like most are good but enough are soft and mushy it turns me when boiled or steamed.

I am talking about eating the shrimp raw. The spots are also excellent, texture very firm for raw shrimp but to me, it seems like they aren't as sweet. But I can't say I have ever tried them side by side.

I was interested in the other species because if they were under harvested like say pink salmon by sports fishermen, maybe they would be easier. Plus I was looking to fish something shallower since I want to do it out of a kayak and I also hear that you have a higher chance of catching an octopus in shallower pots...say 300 ft or so. As long as eventually I got enough shrimp, for eating preference I'd prefer to see an Octopus come up in a pot. A large part due to the fact I can buy shrimp but it seems rare to be able to come up with good quality Octopus for human consumption around here and its never fresh (not frozen) or raw.
    These guys emailed me these pictures of their yak trip in the sound, you can see some of my yak pots on the back of the yak. They caught enough shrimp every evening for dinner. I don't know where or how deep they were fishing but they did catch shrimp. Nice rocky beach for a picture (hint)
    kayak pots.jpg
    kayak shrimp.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    The problem with spot shrimp is they are not commercially available except for a short time in the spring, and this will be the second commercial year for spot in many years.
    I think there is a commercial spot shrimp fishery somewhere around Kodiak and maybe in Southeast? I know that 10th & M Seafoods sometimes has spot shrimp available outside of the PWS season, and there are sometimes trucks selling spot shrimp out of the back both in Eagle River and along 5th Avenue in Anchorage near the Lucky Wishbone. As for the PWS commercial season, it actually ran all summer long last year, but after the first few weeks the effort dropped to almost zero.

The southeast season starts Oct first and last till about Dec. different areas and different GHLs that get caught at different rates. Most of the stuff gets shipped out to the lower 48 and Canada. I do have a few friends that sell them off the dock and do quite well. One of my friends had a restaurant from Anchorage buy his whole load this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    One of my friends had a restaurant from Anchorage buy his whole load this year.
    Smart man. I'd like to get more into direct sales eventually, especially if the PWS shrimp fishery continues and I'm able to find the time to participate in a meaningful way. We used to sell rockfish (bycatch from longlining for sablefish) directly to a now defunct Chinese restaurant in Anchorage. Instead of getting the 25 cents/lb the processors were offering, we got $1/lb for our fish. Not a lot, but much better. I'd love to hook up with a restaurant or two and sell direct to them instead of going through the middle man. Of course, last year I barely caught enough shrimp to fill a couple of ziplocks on my one devoted commercial trip...but this year I think I'll do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    but this year I think I'll do better.
    Well, for one, it won't take you two days to get there. It is only a three hour trip for you this season.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast