Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daughter's rifle dilemma

Default Daughter's rifle dilemma

First I will start by admitting my daughter out shoots me with everything other than a shotgun and I am sure that will come soon. She seems to have a natural ability a little sharper than my aging eyes. She has been shooting my wife's 30-06 for a big game rifle which was fine until they drew the same moose tag for next fall - 2 tags and one rifle - Nice dilemma to have - Better get her started on something else before her first spring bear hunt.

So we dig the old 270 out of the safe to see how she likes that - Might as well let her use it if she likes it since I haven't hunted with it in years. Happen to have a set of test reloads that have been waiting to be tried for quite some time. 40 degrees and sunny in Fairbanks, new targets printed off the internet, school is out at 2:15, sounds good to me.

While she blazes with the 22 as a stress reliever after a day of school I make sure the old gun still shoots and test the reloads. I shoot from a lead sled and am happy with my performance and determine that the mid powder charge is the one the rifle likes the best. Lots of fun to shoot again.

Now it my daughters turn - I remove the lead sled with the explanation I want to be sure she can handle the recoil since this rifle has no muzzle brake like the 30-06 she has been shooting (She barely breaks 100 pounds). She uses a sleeping bag for a rest and shoots a 3 shot group with the reloads of choice - She looks at me and smiles with that what's your problem smile she has. OK - I know it wasn't sighted in right - 1 click to the left ad I think I have lost another rifle.

So how did she do with the 53 gr load which looks the tightest from your shooting??

Default Awesome...

That is.... A proud dad moment right there!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

And a welcome delima no doubt. I still have a couple years before my little rifle collection gets pilfered I think but it won't be long I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    So how did she do with the 53 gr load which looks the tightest from your shooting??
    The 53 grain load is what I had her shoot with since it was my best group. She confirmed my choice of loads.
    Bullets were Speer #1465 - 130 Grain Grand Slam SP-Soft Point

Default That is just wrong

I feel old. You could have done us a favor and coughed or something so at least one bullet was off the mark. I'm not sure I could shoot that good from 25 yards.
    Good job to both of you.
    ARR

What I think all of you are failing to realize is the OP's dilemma.

It is not about loosing a rifle or his daughter shooting better than him. The problem is very clear ... He is now going to have to physically carry more game out of the woods, and like most guys (me included) the prospect of strapping another moose to your back has a limited appeal. I clearly recognize the work comes with a huge upside and I like all of you would be proud. That is why he called it a dilemma.

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Nice to have the kids interested in what Dad enjoys for sure. She is a very good shot and I wish you many years of companionship afield with your "gals"
    Thanks for sharing....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I FULLY understand your dilemma! Congratulations on having a daughter that is obvioiusly an excellent shot. Mine was on the high school rifle team all four years, graduating this May. Needless to say, she also shoots well. And I agree with Drew, now the dilemma is having to haul more game out fo the field, both your dilemmas are good ones to have!

RR, Congrats to you both on some fine shooting. I can't think of a much better way to lose a rifle than to have it claimed by the next generation. The way that young lady is shooting I'm sure your meat house will get a lot of use this fall. I can commiserate with you on your lost rifle as Flor has laid claim to a couple of mine as well. Cherish these days that you get to spend time with her, they pass us by oh so fast Sir.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Way cool for your daughter!! Most excellent father "Skills" too

I actually gave up a nice Polytec in 7.62X39 to the 11th B-day daughter Mary last night.......3 girls down, 2 to go, and thank God the boys are buying their own now
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    I FULLY understand your dilemma! Congratulations on having a daughter that is obvioiusly an excellent shot. Mine was on the high school rifle team all four years, graduating this May. Needless to say, she also shoots well. And I agree with Drew, now the dilemma is having to haul more game out fo the field, both your dilemmas are good ones to have!
    I have 2 shooting on the high school rifle team - They shoot both small bore and air in Fairbanks - Those were some cool guns we "had" to buy. What a great sport - it has been a lot of fun for us.

Thanks for the replies - She is one cool kid and I catch myself bragging about her now and then! What do you think - does this gun match the kid? (That's important for a girl you know) Started out as Grandpa's hunting rifle - Pre 64 Winchester Mod 70 - 270 featherweight which I beat to death in the Alaska bushes. Sold the old beat up wood stock for enough to put a new glass stock on, refinished with a weather resistant finish. Leupold Vari X III 3.5x10x50 scope, new sling and as good as new. Seems to still shoot ok. I know- I ruined the "collectors value" but this one will never leave the family.

And people think there is not an art to shooting off the bench Your daughter has mastered something I been trying to do for years. Congrats to her!
    Tennessee

I think that rifle is a lousy match for your girl and I would gladly take it off your hands !

Seriously though, I cannot imagine a more appropriate and good looking rifle for her to use. It would appear you may not be pulling a trigger this fall if/when both of your ladies score on moose, unless you want to pack three moose.

Well done !

"Thanks for the replies - She is one cool kid and I catch myself bragging about her now and then!"

Brag all you want... I do about my daughter, who is also shooting a family heirloom .270.

Great really great shooting, congrats to her. Make sure you get the stock cut off for correct LOP. A lot of dad's dont do that and its a huge mistake( unless she's 6'-2"). Most daughters and wives need at least 1.25 inches cut off then a 3/4 Pachmayer installed. Good luck hunting.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Awesome - you'd better sharpen your knives pardner!

Any chance her great great grandmother is available.........????? Outstanding marksmanship.

Nice!!

Congratulations on having a great daughter!

Of my 4 kids, the 2 girls definitely have the most interest in hunting/shooting. I need to get my 10 year old enrolled in Hunters Safety, and figure out what to have her start shooting for CF (.223 or .250?), and deal with the LOP issue.

Let me guess, the powder is 4350? 53.5gr of IMR 4350 and 130 gr. Bullets in the 270Win has always been the cat's meow for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast