Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Alaska Gun Collectors - Gun Show this weekend

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    231

    Default Alaska Gun Collectors - Gun Show this weekend

    Has anyone ever been to the AGCA Gun show? With gas prices being so high, I have to decide between the AGCA Gun-show in Palmer this weekend vs. the Alaska Outdoors show in Anchorage next weekend. I can't do both ... I live in Soldotna and the trip isn't cheap.

    Is the AGCA Gun show a 'gun' show or an arts/crafts show? Any feedback is appreciated.

    thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    The AGCA is a Gun Show, The sportsman's show is boats, flying services, fishing charters, food processes, clothing, ATV, there is now only one ot at most two firearms sellers at the sportsman's show.

  3. #3
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    We have the gun show at the fairgrounds in Palmer and the Sportsmanís show at the Wasilla Sports center both this weekend. I donít know how big the gun show is but this weekend is a double hitter in the Valley so I'd think the better bet.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  4. #4
    Supporting Member Old John's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Truenorthed View Post
    Has anyone ever been to the AGCA Gun show? With gas prices being so high, I have to decide between the AGCA Gun-show in Palmer this weekend vs. the Alaska Outdoors show in Anchorage next weekend. I can't do both ... I live in Soldotna and the trip isn't cheap.

    Is the AGCA Gun show a 'gun' show or an arts/crafts show? Any feedback is appreciated.

    thanks.
    It's usually a gun show, some exhibits (not for sale) but it usually also has the coin collectors, etc... However, the Palmer Lions Club just had their annual gun show at the Palmer fairgrounds 2 weeks ago... /John

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    If you are looking for guns/ammo bargains, best to hit the Great Alaska Sportsman Show where we will have all sorts of guns and ammo on special. Boondocks also goes there and runs specials.

    At the last gun show in Palmer (and I may go to this one too) I found 26.5 instances of folks selling used items (or stuff that they bought from us) for more than we sell the same item new.

    Now if your interest is in flea market stuff then the Gun Show is for you

  6. #6
    Member jay51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    S.C. Alaska
    Posts
    231

    Default

    AGCA shows suck!

    The last AGCA show I went to in Palmer (2010) was a complete joke. No kidding, 40-50% of the tables there weren't even selling guns! Lots of trinkets, jewelry, watches, windchimes and such, mostly cheap junk that my wife didn't even want to look at. The Palmer Lions have gone to great lengths to keep all the junk-peddlers out of their shows, and AGCA needs to do the same before I will EVER shell out another $10 entrance fee for one of their shows. I go to buy guns and gun accessories, the rest is just crap in my opinion.
    -J

  7. #7
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    If you are looking for guns/ammo bargains, best to hit the Great Alaska Sportsman Show where we will have all sorts of guns and ammo on special. Boondocks also goes there and runs specials.

    At the last gun show in Palmer (and I may go to this one too) I found 26.5 instances of folks selling used items (or stuff that they bought from us) for more than we sell the same item new.

    Now if your interest is in flea market stuff then the Gun Show is for you
    Yes you better know your values before you buy at a gun show! I have been eyeballing Ruger 22-45s (or is it 45-22?) for a while and looked close at the last show. I found two used ones for $450 and $525 but had seen the same model for $350ish new in stores and $290ish new buy it now price on Gunbroker. The target barrel stainless model is in the $450 range but not the base model they were pushing at that price. Itís often the same story but there are also good deals to be had so know the value of what you are shopping for.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  8. #8
    Member jay51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    S.C. Alaska
    Posts
    231

    Default

    You and I were looking at the same overpriced Rugers Andy. I was looking for a beater project mkI/II/III, and I could not believe they were asking new retail prices+ for obviously used guns. I like new 22/45 with the threaded barrel, might just buy one of them new and skip the project!
    -J

  9. #9

    Default

    One thing to remember: The Sportsman Show often has very-very limited number of units for sale at insanely low prices, but they will generally be limited to just a few units. So be there Thursday @ opening. Some firearms will be sold out with-in minutes.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    To echo what others have said about the gun shows..................I honestly can't see why people even go to them anymore. As far as firearms go, it just seems like the junk they are trying to pawn off at high prices just changes from one vendors table to another.

    Once in a great while you can find a good buy on a box of bullets or powder if you are lucky, but overall they get a big thumbs down. Most of us buy online and since they invented the flat rate USPS boxes we can even get bullets cheaper than anyone in town.

    I like supporting the local shops myself and do it with powder, primer, and the occasional gun purchase, but my support usually ends if it will cost me extra money.

    About the only thing that gets me to a gun show lately is if I am bored out of my skull.
    Tennessee

  11. #11

    Default

    You want good deals at the AGCA shows, become a member and get in 3 hours before the public. Shop in an uncrowded environment. If you want Garage sale prices go to garage sales. We have been life members of AGCA of nearly 40 years. We get into the show at 7:AM and if something is offered at too good of a deal, and I think I can buy it for $275.00 and sell it in four hours for $395.00 what do you expect me to do. 100% of my gun show purchases are from other vendors. And 85% to 90% of my sales are to other vendors. The truth is the public is just a pain in the BUTT, that thinks they should be entitled to buy at sub fair value.
    What is even more funny is that they don't know what used firearms a worth. It cost me $55.00 per table........It cost me $115.00 for diesel fuel to drive to the show and back home. I do it for the fun and to see old friends. If you go to the Gun Show looking for a steal of a deal, you will be disappointed. If you go to have fun, ask questions, and learn, shop, haggle, horse'trade, and see interesting firearms it is a joyful way to spend the day.
    Note: It is just a matter of years till all transactions will require a 4473 & back-round check. One of the nice things I enjoy, and I am willing to pay extra for is the lack of a paper trail on firearms transaction. I will pay $30.00 to $50.00 more than you who are looking for a steal'deal, I'll pay extra, knowing that when I bury the firearms that there is no record of my purchase. So the firearm the vendor has offered at $350.00 and that You will not buy for more than $285.00/$290.00 I will pay him $325.00 and bury it, He is happy, I am Happy, and you get to complain about the prices.
    The bottom line is if you want it for yesterdays price............You should have bought it yesterday. (I bought a Brand-new Pre'64 Model 70 Winchester for $138.95 that was in the spring of 1966).

  12. #12
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    You want good deals at the AGCA shows, become a member and get in 3 hours before the public. Shop in an uncrowded environment. If you want Garage sale prices go to garage sales. We have been life members of AGCA of nearly 40 years. We get into the show at 7:AM and if something is offered at too good of a deal, and I think I can buy it for $275.00 and sell it in four hours for $395.00 what do you expect me to do. 100% of my gun show purchases are from other vendors. And 85% to 90% of my sales are to other vendors. The truth is the public is just a pain in the BUTT, that thinks they should be entitled to buy at sub fair value.
    What is even more funny is that they don't know what used firearms a worth. It cost me $55.00 per table........It cost me $115.00 for diesel fuel to drive to the show and back home. I do it for the fun and to see old friends. If you go to the Gun Show looking for a steal of a deal, you will be disappointed. If you go to have fun, ask questions, and learn, shop, haggle, horse'trade, and see interesting firearms it is a joyful way to spend the day.
    Note: It is just a matter of years till all transactions will require a 4473 & back-round check. One of the nice things I enjoy, and I am willing to pay extra for is the lack of a paper trail on firearms transaction. I will pay $30.00 to $50.00 more than you who are looking for a steal'deal, I'll pay extra, knowing that when I bury the firearms that there is no record of my purchase. So the firearm the vendor has offered at $350.00 and that You will not buy for more than $285.00/$290.00 I will pay him $325.00 and bury it, He is happy, I am Happy, and you get to complain about the prices.
    The bottom line is if you want it for yesterdays price............You should have bought it yesterday. (I bought a Brand-new Pre'64 Model 70 Winchester for $138.95 that was in the spring of 1966).
    Well more power to ya, knock yourself out. I donít mind paying a bit more for a gun right in front of me but Iím not gonna pay to get in the door then pay 40% over new retail and 60% over what I can buy it off Alaskalist for.

    I guess you donít need to worry about this PITA member of the public infusing any cash into AGCA, after that post I donít feel worthy or welcome. I guess Iíll spend some diesel money and go to town next weekend to do my gun shopping.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    The truth is the public is just a pain in the BUTT
    Then why even have the show open to the public? Seriously, vendors thinking like this are what made the good gun shows of 10-20 years ago a waste of time to go to anymore.
    Tennessee

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Then why even have the show open to the public? Seriously, vendors thinking like this are what made the good gun shows of 10-20 years ago a waste of time to go to anymore.
    I do NOT speak for AGCA. I was speaking for myself. I have been doing the Gun Shows for nearly 40 years, back when we held them in the Armory building on Spenard Road.

  15. #15

    Default

    Sounds like the gun show scalpers are disgruntled. Joe public has wised up to their scam. Same junk, different table. New guns usually cheaper at local gun shops. I'm not a felon or a conspiracy theorist. I'll gladly fill out another 4473.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default

    What has made the good gun shows of nearly 10-20 years ago nearly a thing of the past is the internet! Ebay, Gunbroker, and the like have established prices and made the finds of the past almost non-existant.

    Between living in Alaska I was in the Houston, TX area and became a member of the Houston Gun Collectors. We had 3 or 4 shows a year and at one time had nearly 2500 tables. When I started we were in the old Astrohall - a big old open barn but rent was cheap and we could keep the table rents down so indivduals like myself could afford tables. This was around 20 or so years ago. There was a lot of trading betwen members of course but we had 1000s of people pay to come to the shows to buy and sell. Then came the internet, a move to a higher rent area, and higher table prices. Last time I was in the area about 6 or 7 years ago I walked around without even buying anything. The small guys have disappeared leaving it all to the big guys with tables stacked with new guns. The little guys now sell there stuff on the internet instead.

    I've seen the same thing happening here in the past 10 years since I came back - deals are getting harder to find. A real shame but not much one can do about it I guess except support the guns shows and get a table with a friend and enjoy the shows while you can.

    I do agree a lot of the deals are made before the show opens to the public - it has always been that way. It does provide an incendive to get a table and/or become a member. The public being a pain I disagree with totally - I think with most shows the table rent pays for the base xpenses and the gate is the profit. Without the public the shows would not exist. Besides - I meet a lot of neat people at the shows along with the few aholes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Then why even have the show open to the public? Seriously, vendors thinking like this are what made the good gun shows of 10-20 years ago a waste of time to go to anymore.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  17. #17
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    What I hate about gun shows is nobody seems to want to trade anymore, they only want cash.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  18. #18
    Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    I enjoy hitting the gun shows even though I haven't bought a gun at one for years. I visit with a few friends and usually manage to find a box of old Speer semi round noses or Barnes originals or something else they don't make anymore. But mostly I just like to look around and jaw with folks.

    Hey AGL, since I never got a chance to buy a Pre 64, being born about 20yrs late, will you sell me yours for 10% over what you gave for it, I'm game if you are .

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default

    I tried to work trades with several people on trades but many want to trade a less desireable gun against something "hot" you have and trade retail to your asking price. What the general public has a hard time understanding is that you need to make some profit on each gun to make the show worthwhile and some guns are "dogs" to sell.

    So if a guy wants to trade his Taurus .357 mag for your Ruger .454 you need a sizeable "boot" worth more than the actual differences in value because you know the .357 will be on your table for a long time while the .454 will move pretty fast. In one case at the last show a guy wanted to trade a nice custon 7x57 on a small ring mauser for my SS Classic .338 Mdl 70. He had a nice gun but it would be hard to turn and I didn't want to tie that much up in the gun myself. I explained the situation to him and while we didn't rade he did appear to understand the situation. I saw the gun later on another table but noted that it was still for sale at the end of the show.

    In my experience "dogs" include small caliber varmit rifles, most custom rifles, most any small caliber in Alaska, muzzle loading rifles and pistols, many target rifles, cutdown Krag and 1917 Enfield sporters, and most any wildcat caliber. I think the worst dog I got stuck with was a Ruger New Army C&B revolver - I didn't think I would ever get rid of that one!

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    What I hate about gun shows is nobody seems to want to trade anymore, they only want cash.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Palmer Ak
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Went to the gun show in Palmer to show my 5 yr old grandson around and try to peak his interest, as far as paying the over new retail prices for guns , no thanks.Rarely you can find something but the dealers shop for a couple hours first, so any deals are snapped up for resale.I'll go to the outdoors show in Anchorage. To top it all off next year will be worse ,both Palmer & Wasilla will be requiring vendors to have a city vendors permit and charge city sales tax on all sales.
    Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •