Thread: transom saver

Default transom saver

Got a 16ft grizzly with a 60/40 jet, was wondering if anybody else with a simlar setup uses a transom savor if so what kind,

One of my boats is a sled with an outboard pump. It does not need a transom saver because the jet foot is nearly level with the bottom of the boat-so, there is no need to lift the lower unit any higher.

A transom saver will do more than just tilt the motor up so that you don't put your skeg into the asphalt. A properly applied transom saver (and strapped down boat) will take some of the weight of the motor off of the transom transferring that weight to the trailer frame. I think that the idea is to take some of the jarring off of the transom while trailering. You do need to strap the boat down good to the trailer (obviously a good idear in any situation) to get the full effect.

Least that was I always thunk'd.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    A transom saver will do more than just tilt the motor up so that you don't put your skeg into the asphalt. A properly applied transom saver (and strapped down boat) will take some of the weight of the motor off of the transom transferring that weight to the trailer frame. I think that the idea is to take some of the jarring off of the transom while trailering. You do need to strap the boat down good to the trailer (obviously a good idear in any situation) to get the full effect.

Least that was I always thunk'd.
    True, but with a jet pump, there's no need to tilt the motor while trailering, therefore the there's no additional torque on the transom like there would be if the motor were tilted. Tilting the motor just so you can use a transom saver would essentially be a wash, perhaps even counterproductive.

As a guy who fixes transoms (as well as other stuff on boats from the pointy end to the square end) I think transom savers are a good idea.

Their effectiveness is probably more pronounced on motors with a full lower unit/prop drive but it's cheap insurance on all transom mount motors. Something similar to this product is probably about all you need. Keep it and the boat snug to the trailer though. http://www.cabelas.com/outboard-acce...:referralID=NA

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    True, but with a jet pump, there's no need to tilt the motor while trailering, therefore the there's no additional torque on the transom like there would be if the motor were tilted. Tilting the motor just so you can use a transom saver would essentially be a wash, perhaps even counterproductive.
    The load on the transom can be hard on the transom whether or not the motor is tilted, tilting can actually lessen the load because the powerhead will swing over the transom and then the weight is bearing more vertical rather than the weight of the motor all hanging off the back.
    Jet or prop samo-samo, cept typically a jet is mounted up some 5-6 inches higher so a bigger lever.

Towing on Alaska roads at the high speeds we need to reach our destinations.......especially over long distances...can be deadly to a transom.........Bullelkklr has it right on, (The transom savers take some of the load off the transom and can direct it down to the trailer).

I bought a "wedge" style I use when hauling the boat with the jet, and I think it helps.

As others have said make sure the boat is tied on well and isnt bouncing around the trailer, also I try not to overload the boat with heavy stuff when towing, all that goes in the truck. But thats just me.................
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR