Thread: External Monitor on Garmin Chartplotter?

Default External Monitor on Garmin Chartplotter?

On my recently purchased boat I have a Garmin 3206 chartplotter. It has a VGA out on the back of the unit that will feed an external monitor. Has anyone ever used the external out on a Garmin? Just wondering if its worth the time and $$ to do it or just buy a new lager screen unit. The reason for using the external monitor would be that the screen on the 3206 is kind of small when viewing split screen (depth and radar or depth and nav split screens).

On a side note the system also has a VGA in to feed video into the unit. Anyone use that feature on a Garmin? Would be nice to watch the rods on those cold rainy days or just to keep an eye on the back deck when running.

Thanks,

John
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I have a 3210 that is connected to a 3206. You can only use 1 set of transducers with the unit. I have also hooked up video camera, a back up camera, and a computer to the system and they have all worked just fine. I would call Garmin to and ask them for advice as I am not an expert in how these things work.

What brand of back up camera did you use? I may just drag a flat screen computer monitor out to the boat and see how the video out looks on it... It would be nice to have a 18 inch viewing area instead of 5 inch.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson