Thread: Extended Body Dragon Fly Nymph

Default Extended Body Dragon Fly Nymph

I really enjoy fishing dragon fly nymphs and spend a lot of time tying them. Most of mine use a streamer hook to tie the body onto, but I thought this was a neat idea for creating an extended body... I didn't come up with the idea, but here is how I tie them:

Extended Body Dragon Fly -

Materials:

Thread: Size 8/0 (green) and size 3/0 (Black)
    Hook: Size 8 nymph hook, down eye.
    Abdomen/Extended Body: Antron Yarn
    Wing Casing: 1/8” Scud back
    Legs: Any rubber leg material
    Thorax: Green antron dubbing
    Eyes: Barbell eyes

Step 1:
    Start by cutting about 5 pieces of equal length antron yarn and placing them on top of each other. Then take your 3/0 thread and tie about 4 overhand knots in the middle, binding them together. Cut off one of the strands of thread hanging off. Leave the other strand – it should be long enough to hold on to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	46952

Step 2:
    Start your 8/0 thread onto your hook, wrap back to just past mid point and tie your antron in as shown.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	46953

Step 3:
    The idea is to be able to pull back on the thread to straighten out the loop, like this:

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	46955

Step 4:
    Take a black marker, pull back on the thread to straighten the loop, and add lines to the antron, as shown.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	46954

Step 5:
    Wrap the remaining antron up to just before the eye and trim the excess (OR cut the antron short and add lead in its place, if you so desire.)

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	46956

Step 6:
    Tie in your barbell eyes – it is easiest to tie them in here, rather than later.

Name:	6.jpg 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	46957

Step7:
    Take 3 equal lengths of your rubber leg material and lay them on top of each other.

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	46958

Step 8:
    Fold them in half, and tie them onto the shank of your hook, facing forward. You should now have six “legs”.

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	46959

Step 9:
    Tie in your wing casing material just in front of where the abdomen is tied in.

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	46962

Step 10:
    Take the two legs sitting on top of our leg pile and tie them into position at the back, as shown:

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	46961

Step 11:
    Now dub a little ‘hump’ around it – be sure to dub in front of and slightly behind the legs

Name:	11.jpg 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	46964

Step 12:
    Pull your wing casing forward and tie it off, as shown, then pull it back and make a thread turn or two over the wrap you just made (this will hide the thread.)

Name:	12.jpg 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	46963

Step 13:
    Repeat steps 10 – 11 for the next two legs, pull your wing case forward and tie it off.

Name:	13.jpg 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	46965

Step 14:
    At this point it’s probably easiest to trim your legs to keep them out of the way (you can also do this sooner if you’re not worried about cutting them to short before they are all in place). I pull them all back and cut them right where the abdomen ends.

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	46966

Step 15:
    Tie the front two legs into position and dub around the barbell eyes, making sure not to pin the legs down in a position you didn’t intend to.

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	46967

Step 16:
    Cut off the trailing thread at the rear, then seperate out the fibers of the antron yarn to give the abdomen a 'full' appearance.
    Whip finish and head cement (if you're that type... I am :-P), and that's it!!

The completed fly!
    I like to fish dragon fly nymphs just off the shore with short/quick strips.

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	46968

Thumbs up

Sweet bug, great step by step! now another pattern to add to the already heavy arsenal.Tried to give you rep but wont let me.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    Sweet bug, great step by step! now another pattern to add to the already heavy arsenal.Tried to give you rep but wont let me.
    Yeah, they should remove the two picture per post and one rep point per person limits for the tying sub forum :-P

Awesome post cube! Great fly - and thats a technique for the body I haven't seen before. Very nice tutorial - thanks for sharing. When I have time to sit down at the vice again I'll have to try this out. I'm a big fan of dragonfly and damselfly nymphs.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

DA*& that guy and his nor vise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His tying station he made is even nice too!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    DA*& that guy and his nor vise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His tying station he made is even nice too!!!!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250790088467

There was some interest in it, so I started selling them on e-bay. The one currently listed is for C-clamps - they seem to sell better than the one like mine with the material holder area on the left instead.... They usually end up selling for $80-$90. A pretty low price, but I'm happy to do it.

Also, if you just can't take it anymore, this is a pretty smoking deal on the vise and bobbin -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160552951699

I take no responsibility from any actions that may arise from viewing this post and its associated links!!

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250790088467

There was some interest in it, so I started selling them on e-bay. The one currently listed is for C-clamps - they seem to sell better than the one like mine with the material holder area on the left instead.... They usually end up selling for $80-$90. A pretty low price, but I'm happy to do it.

Also, if you just can't take it anymore, this is a pretty smoking deal on the vise and bobbin -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160552951699

I take no responsibility from any actions that may arise from viewing this post and its associated links!!
    man that is a great idea selling them on ebay.....have you sold many?

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    man that is a great idea selling them on ebay.....have you sold many?
    Over 20 of them!!
    I started doing it because I was really disappointed after looking around at the quality of commercially available benches, and figured if I could get these out there people would really appreciate them. And they do... I've gotten nothing but overly positive feedback on them.

I really only make about $20 from of each sale on top of the cost of materials, e-bay fees, and shipping.
    I don't figure in the time it takes to make them, which is actually quite a bit, but it's just my hobby/shop time - I thoroughly enjoy doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    Over 20 of them!!
    I started doing it because I was really disappointed after looking around at the quality of commercially available benches, and figured if I could get these out there people would really appreciate them. And they do... I've gotten nothing but overly positive feedback on them.

I really only make about $20 from of each sale on top of the cost of materials, e-bay fees, and shipping.
    I don't figure in the time it takes to make them, which is actually quite a bit, but it's just my hobby/shop time - I thoroughly enjoy doing it.
    Naw I know it isn't a get rich scam............I just think it is pretty cool, because I have seen the junk people throw out there at the stores and it is junk. From the pics I have seen of yours they look a lot nicer! I just think it is a cool idea.