Thread: Ignorant ammo question

Default Ignorant ammo question

Havn't been much into rifle hunting my entire life, but getting ready for it now. I read the thread about using 308 win for bears. I have a 308. It mentioned TSX, TTSX and Partitions. The way I read it, it was refering to factory made ammo by them. Now I see it was revering to bullets that are only available for reloaders. Is there a factory "hot" load available that will noticeably out perform the standard Remington 180 in this particular caliber? Bud

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Havn't been much into rifle hunting my entire life, but getting ready for it now. I read the thread about using 308 win for bears. I have a 308. It mentioned TSX, TTSX and Partitions. The way I read it, it was refering to factory made ammo by them. Now I see it was revering to bullets that are only available for reloaders. Is there a factory "hot" load available that will noticeably out perform the standard Remington 180 in this particular caliber? Bud
    You can get good factory loads with those bullets from Federal Premium, Remington, Barnes, Hornady etc.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

Lots of good game bullets now a days, but I have never seen a reason to use anything but Nosler Partitions

Any specific brand reccomendation for best hunting load/brand to use, I did ask at Chimos in Wasilla, they just carry the standard loads. What stores would likely carry the hot loads. Bud

FWIW, I haven't had good luck with 180's in my .308's. They seem to shoot better for me with 150-170 gr bullets. I would probably start with these here and you should be able to find them at Sportsmans Warehouse or 3 Bears by Trunk Road.

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...le.aspx?id=590

I had just assumed I'd be better off using 180's for the larger animals. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I had just assumed I'd be better off using 180's for the larger animals. Bud
    In general, you would as long as your rifle will shoot them. I have a Remington varmint .308 SPS, a FAL and a M1A Scout and none of them seem to shoot 180's well. I'll admit that my experience with 180's in .308's is pretty limited. It wouldn't hurt to try a box of 180 Partitions or similar.

It realy depends on the range you want to shoot. My 308 would shoot 220gr into three inches at a hundred yards and the 200/180 gr into two inches or less at a hundred. Never shooting over a hundred make the shells plenty accurate.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The most important factor is shot placement. And that all comes down to what your gun shoots best, and you being confident that the the round is going to hit where your reticle is placed on the animal. A .308 is plenty of rifle for a bear you don't need the heaviest grain count to kill an animal. Just proper shot placement and confidence in your equipment. Hope this helps

Poor shooters worry most about the caliber, average ones worry most about the bullet, good ones worry most about the shot placement. Or, at least, that's how I've heard it told... Worry most about where you put the shot.

Your 308 will work OK if you use it with bullets it was intended for. Stick with bullets 168 grs or less;Unless you shoot a custom rifle or a TIKKA. Bullets heavier than 168grs in a 308 suffer low expansion rates due to low velocities. Just because it will shoot a bullet and hit a target at 100 yards doesn't mean "that" bullet is going to work. Bullets that are too heavy tend to yaw on impact and as such tumble through the target, rather than penetrate giving controlled expansion as designed.
    But black bears aren't wearing their body armour this year. So focus on proper bullet placement, and use any of the bullets you named and you'll be a bear skin rug ahead.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

good advise from brav01. my wife's 308 shoots 1/2 " groups with nosler custom 150 grn accubond, I believe they load those aroun 3000+ fps. . Thats plenty of performance for a premium bullet to do its job.