Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valdez Fly In

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Default Valdez Fly In

Hey, who is going to the Valdez Fly In? I'm planning on going. This is the first time I've gone. A friend of mine is planning on flying. I'm sort of concerned about flying with him. He doesn't have much fly time. Is it a difficult flight from Anchorage? Should I just take the ferry? Or drive?
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by AKDREAMER View Post
    Hey, who is going to the Valdez Fly In? I'm planning on going. This is the first time I've gone. A friend of mine is planning on flying. I'm sort of concerned about flying with him. He doesn't have much fly time. Is it a difficult flight from Anchorage? Should I just take the ferry? Or drive?
    Pam
    Super easy in decent weather. Portage pass, then just follow the coast to Valdez. Ck the Portage pass, potato point and Valdez Wx cams before you leave. Dress for cold windy weather and bring a folding chair.
    Not a lot of emergency places to land a wheel plane though. Mountain or ocean mostly.

What about overnighting there? Can a person pitch a one-man tent under the wing and stay?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDREAMER View Post
    What about overnighting there? Can a person pitch a one-man tent under the wing and stay?
    YES. Lot's of folks do it. The Valdez Air show is a pretty good time! Have fun!

Pam,
    It will be a good time. The flight is beautiful. If you are concerned about flight experience then see if you guy can't link up with a couple of other planes flying over at the same time. It always nice to have someone along on the trip with you.

Just my Nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Oh and don't forget Valdez is a temporary FSS during the show. Give them a position report 10 miles out. Bring your own food if overnighting.

Pam,
    I used to live in Valdez and made that flight many times. Don't fly from ANC to VDZ the first time unless you have a forecast of at least 3000' ceiling with good visibility and the weather cams confirm that. File a flight plan and give a position report to Juneau Radio after you go through Portage Pass. Prince William Sound is beautiful and a great place to fly but you need to be careful. If the weather is marginal in PWS you can go the long way, Tahneta Pass, GKN, Thompson Pass. If you spend the night that would be a good option to get back it Anchorage if the weather turns bad. If Thompson Pass is not open you can go the long long way, Cordova, Copper River, Chitna, GKN Tahneta Pass. That will keep you at a lower altitude than Thompson Pass. I would consider stopping at GKN for fuel. If the weather is clear and a million and no strong winds aloft you could also fly to Valdez by Tehneta Pass, up the Nelchena Glacier, down the Valdez Glacier and right into the airport. That's a spectacular flight. Have fun, I may go this year myself.

Thanks all. I'm looking forward to flight planning. My friend is TDY right now in FL. He's coming back mid April and then we will make the decision how to get there. CAN'T WAIT! Maybe I'll see some of you there! Anybody competing in anything?

NimRod,

Fly to Glenallen. Refuel. Then follow the road to Valdez. Been there done that.

If the engine quits you'll be in radio range.

I figure you aught to "take the yoke by the tines" and do it yourself. Don't rely on anyone else to control your agenda.

Ifn you can't do that, take ERA down.

Rocket...

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    NimRod,

Fly to Glenallen. Refuel. Then follow the road to Valdez. Been there done that.

If the engine quits you'll be in radio range.

I figure you aught to "take the yoke by the tines" and do it yourself. Don't rely on anyone else to control your agenda.

Ifn you can't do that, take ERA down.

Rocket...
    I thought she was a student?

See you there! Come by the tower! I'll be one of the Show Control guys. Good times for all, Keep the greasy side up!!!!

Lynn
    Eagle River

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    I thought she was a student?
    Opps...Yeah your right Jim I forgot she can't rent.

Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    See you there! Come by the tower! I'll be one of the Show Control guys. Good times for all, Keep the greasy side up!!!!

Lynn
    Eagle River
    down!!

I used to go down and stay with friend that had hanger at end of the runway but they've since moved so no place to stay now.

We had a great time. We flew early Sat morning first east up the creek then south as we hopped over a snow covered mountain ridge going toward Meteorite Mountain area. A few climbing turns and we flew down a rugged isolated valley and then over a saddle and emerged with Cordova to our left and Hawkins Island ahead. We flew over Hawkins Island then landed on the beach on the SE side of Hitchenbrooke Island. We layed out a beach landing area for the poker run planes to land in and by around noon time we had 14-planes there.

There were lots of food and kids and planes. There was dinner at the Airport on Sat night and all were fat and happy Ha!.

Yep it aught to be fun time.

Lots of controversy about how the planes should be configured for the TO & Landing Contests. It aught to be real world scenarios. I mean who flies with 5-10 gallons of fuel and everything stripped out to remove weight. Aught to be at least 1/2-tanks with all survival gear and normal configurations to be realistic. Just my $2-cents worth.

See KA I was going to see if someone caught that. Too many ups in the last few........

Lynn

I'm familiar the the greasy side up landing. Those are really short, but they're not for everyone......

Is the fly in this weekend April 1? Where can I find info about it.?

The fly in is usually in early May. You can find info about it on the Internet. Try Google or your preferred search engine. (Sorry, couldn't resist).

Here's a link for you.

THe fly in is May 6th, 7th, & 8th. THe first weekend. Hope the weather is nice.

I might run down, went in 07' and had a blast, good times!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast