Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great day for hare.

Default Great day for hare.

Four friends and I rode out to Unit 13 for a spring hare hunt. We left the valley and clouds behind and the sky opened up to a magnificent day. I should have brought sun screen.

Every one connected on at least one. The most was 5. I got 4. And there's still more to be had. The numbers are very good IMO.

The snow was still fairly decent. A little light crust on top made for some heavy steps at times. May have helped a little with post holing in some areas. I thought I was going to have to drag a snow shoe newbie out on a sled a couple of times.

PICT0040.jpg

Nice Job there, Yogi,

Nice Day, I Guess..... Wow

What were you shooting them with?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

All of us used .22 LR, and all but one were Ruger 10/22's. Head shots, no wasted meat, no broken teeth from biting shot.

nice! the most I ever got was 3, hare hunting is one of my favorite hunts!

Looks like fun! What was the temp?

man..there goes the neighborhood...again. hare hunting area number 3 is out on the internet..gonna have to keep looking again. i agree the huntings been good, they liken that sunshine on their face!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Good for you, these gorgeous spring days make small game hunting in Alaska is about as good as it gets.

That does sound like a great day! Good for you guys. Thanks for sharing it all with us.

Jim

MATT- it started out at about 20 with a touch more wind than I cared to have.

BRWNBR- Hold on there, Unit 13 is a big area. I reread my post to make sure I didn't give too much away, it seems safe for now. I've been hunting the area for years and I rarely see other hunters. I've been 5 times this year with two overnighters and only see the people I'm hunting with. If it's the other hunters you're concerned about, they've also hunted it before, but only one is as avid as I am. Besides, snowshoe hunting just isn't for many people, there's too much work involved. So keep Unit 13 in your top 3. If you have better places than that, I may have to tail you some day.

yogi, that was mostly tounge and cheek buddy, kinda makin' fun of all the posts about internet research and not just getting out and doing it... no worries. hey on that note, why don't you email me and tell me where you where and i'll let ya know if it was the spot i was thinking about!
    Master guide 212

Gotcha, I try not to give away too much info and feel bad if I give away someone else's honey hole. But since you asked so nicely;

Take the two lane road north that heads south in an east-westerly direction until you get to the mountain that has the snow under it and turn around, back up three feet and then head in the opposite direction. Once you get to the wide spot in the road where it narrows turn green 7 miles before the road kill that the ravens are eating on. You'll see a circus midget riding a unicorn without a horn eating skittles from a banana tree and you're there.

I trust this is our secret.

yogi empty your PM box..tried to send you one but it was full
    Master guide 212

Sorry 'bout that. Done.

I know the exact spot and it is one of the best. I will say, that it is becoming more popular i used to see no one but on my last few trips i did see one other group. In the fall it was hunted like mad and i witnessed a lack of small game hunting ethics that i don't like to see. Groups of people would see a hair and start blasting like mad. I heard whole stings of chain shooting then walked over counted five empty 12 gage and 30 empty 22 cassing. I saw two people cart out one hare for all that. I prefer to try and hit them in the head with one shot and if I miss try a gin if it runs o well time to start hunting. If I cant get a head shot I use the 410. This way you wast less meet and it is more fun. Last trip i go 15 that was the week before last.

i know of several groups that went up to that area as well and took out over 50 hares last winter...i know some guys eat them, some use them for trapping bait,but i feel bad if i nail one and don't use it or it don't get used in my trappline...but 50? do you need 50? i set a limit with my son at 5....that way he knows when we get enough we are done, no killin' just cause its fun.
    Master guide 212

I would have to agree 50 is a bit extreme. It is bad enough cleaning 15. one trip my brother and i shot 40 and it was 20 below so we took them home to clean. Should have seen the look on our wives faces.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i know of several groups that went up to that area as well and took out over 50 hares last winter...i know some guys eat them, some use them for trapping bait,but i feel bad if i nail one and don't use it or it don't get used in my trappline...but 50? do you need 50? i set a limit with my son at 5....that way he knows when we get enough we are done, no killin' just cause its fun.
    I eat every bit of the rabbits a shoot/snare, ya, shooting them is fun, but who would want to clean 50? LOL I usualy get about 15 or 20 a winter, could get more, but I don't really like the killin part.

You ever try to get up close and personal and get some pictures of them? That sure is fun! closes I have ever been is about 3 feet away, naturally, I didn't have my camera, but it was fun.

i'd like to get into archery hunting them more...flu flu arrows or something i think would be a kick.
    seems they aren't that scared of snowmachines in some places. was on foot last week and we got what we wanted, then i took the machine for a drive off trail and they'd just sit there. a bow would be fun.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i'd like to get into archery hunting them more...flu flu arrows or something i think would be a kick.
    seems they aren't that scared of snowmachines in some places. was on foot last week and we got what we wanted, then i took the machine for a drive off trail and they'd just sit there. a bow would be fun.
    I love getting them with a bow but I still haven't found an arrow head that doesn't blow through them. Even a blunt in the head will pass through like this one did. I'm also pretty sure I recognize the area. It gets a lot of pressure, but I found if I get off the trail there are still plenty of bunny rabbits.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Flu-flu feathers and Judo points, although, if you shoot a heavy draw bow and are shooting at close range those arrows will also pass through. Good excuse to go out and buy yourself a nice light draw recurve!

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast