Thread: Denali Highway Trail report 3/22/10

Default Denali Highway Trail report 3/22/10

Wow, riding has been excellent! Lot's of snow and sunshine! Had folks out in the powder at the Clearwater today jumping the hills and having a great time. Big thanks to Al and Sue at the Maclaren River Lodge! They got the groomer going and went past us at mile 68 this morning enroute to Cantwell and back tomorrow. Went down and rode on it, and it's excellent! There is still time to find some good snow, so head North! Happy and safe riding to all!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Claude,

How far can one normally get up (North) on the Clearwater with a sled? I've walked in there a few times and camped in the summer months (usually see no people after just 1.5 miles and good tenting with the kids while watching Caribou that I can never hunt). End of August before moose normal makes a great weekend trip and if it is cold enough no bugs.

Hey Claude,
    Helen and I sure enjoyed staying at your place the last few nights. We had a great ride back to Cantwell. It was groomed the whole way up until about the last 10 miles. Even then it was a good ride. Tell Bob to keep practicing that saxophone. Hope you guys caught some fish. Our next time in we'll bring some McD's...

C

luckydog....McD's?...i'll one up you...brought them KFC once.....and pizza....and...yes...and CHEESECAKE!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

AkFishon, you should be able to go as far as you want. We ride up to where the pass goes through to Valdez, but haven't been North of that yet. Looks like it should be no problem.
    Chris, It was great having you and Helen out here! It was a lot of fun! Bob and Kyle both picked up nice Lake Trout on Roosevelt! Was a beautiful day up there! Sunshine, warm, and good fishing, and we were the first ones up there this winter! Bob does keep practicing his new sax! Mostly early in the morning......
    We look forward to MC'D's! Jen hasn't even been to Cantwell since Sept, and fast food is probably the only thing her and Bob miss! And yes, Jake takes good care of us when he comes out! JFT (Jake Fun Time) is always appreciated!
    Claude

Groomed trail!? NICE! Hopefully next year the trail will be groomed when we head in, wasn't to bad tho. We had a blast, thanks Claude, Jennifer, Bob and Kyle for a killer weekend of powder! Aslo, thanks for letting Kyle play with us that saturday. Great kid, great personallity and he sure did have a blast! It was fun to have him along for the day. Feed him good and I think you have a lodge hand winner!

Curt & Sandy

Curt & Sandy,
    It was a blast having you guys out here! The groomed trail is incredible! It will be groomed more next winter. The groomer going through the ice put the gooming on hold for awhile, but Al's back in business now! Kyle is a heckuva good kid. Nice to have the same person working for nearly a year now! We just need to make sure we help him get his pilot's license he's aspiring to. We look forward to seeing you guys out again next year!

Anyone have a Snow report?
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Default Denali Highway Snow Report 4/5/11

We have been getting new snow for the last couple of days. A few inches of fresh. There is a lot of snow around, and the riding is excellent! I took a group for a ride Saturday down the Clearwater and it was outstanding. Valdez Creek Valley is excellent also! The road update is that it has been plowed to us here at Alpine Creek Lodge at mile 68. The snow is thin from Cantwell since they plowed, so our clients are driving in and unloading here. We only have a room or two left this weekend, and not much more than that next weekend. Maclaren might have some space, but with the snow as good as it is, it might be tight there also!

Bottom line... don't put your sleds away yet!!

Claude

Sweet! Thank you for the report. Might look into a trip up there this weekend if we dont go to arctic man
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Default Denali Hwy

When do they start plowing the road from the Cantwell end?

They have already plowed from Cantwell to Alpine Creek Lodge. There is a turn around plowed just past the lodge, and parking is on the highway. They are keeping the road open the rest of the winter. DOT told me they would begin plowing the rest of the way to Cantwell on April 11th. Not sure how long it will take them to get across.... but at this time, I have driven my vehicles in!! Early spring! Today, it's snowing really hard, and blowing about 50mph.... so they will be working hard to keep the road open.