Thread: Beach Lake?

Question Beach Lake?

My husband and I have been exploring local lakes this summer as its our first summer here in Anchorage. We are from Homer.

We hiked a bit around Beach Lake today and noticed that people seem to bottom fish there a lot. We tried casting and bobber with worms or roe to no avail.

Whats the secret?

I haven't fished there in a few years & have only fished it from shore. The later in the evening you can fish it, the better. In some stocked lakes, you may find a trend where schools swim along the shoreline every now & again.

So the bite will be on, then off for 10 or 15 minutes. Can you fish the bottom, sure. I always used a bobber or flies there.

I don't know if that area closes @ a certain time of evening, but it might. Also, have a sense of your surroundings because bears would occasionally wander through there.

If the schools are going by, you won't have to cast far @ all. I recall catching grayling & rainbows there.

I'd recommend using balls of fire (eggs), maybe meal worms. Also, somebody makes a power egg that is reusable & very effective.

Have fun.

I have fished Beach Lake like a maniac for the past couple of years. Heck, even me and my friends would hit Beach Lake during lunch time when we were in high school. These fish will bite anytime of day. Hot, cold, sunny, overcast, windy, they will bite if they are there.

The trick is to stay close to the docks. Throw out some cocktail shrimp on a bobber or let it sit on bottom. Either way they will bite. The long dock is the most productive. Most of the time its taken though.

A canoe just past the docks is very successful too. The opposite end of the lake shows great catches too. There are a few holes alone the hikable bank, but the two previous spots are the best.

Thumbs up Trout in Beach Lake

Just live up the road so to speak from Beach Lake...
    Always have good luck pulling in fish there and just comes down to how big of a fish we can get. Try mixing it up with different spinner colors. Chartreuse (green) seems to hit most days, but from day to day different colors seem more proficient than others.... You'll know when you hit the flavor of the day!!!

Default Beach Lake

25 Years ago beach lake was a secret honey hole. The rainbows were huge. It took about an hour and a half to winch your way in there. Since then things have changed, not to say it is bad just different. You now see trash and garbage, there is often late night parties and the pull outs going in are often filled with parked cars doing whatever. The fishing is still good for rainbows and very good for Kokanee. The little silvers are very easy to catch in the winter and they will hit dry flys all summer in the evening. I got several very big bows stripping in a black leach while in the float tube. It is good just the envirement around the lake has changed. Heck last year there were to topless ladies on the grass towrds the left! Gotta say i enjoyed that more then the trash! Viktor

Quote Originally Posted by viktor
    25 Years ago beach lake was a secret honey hole. The rainbows were huge. It took about an hour and a half to winch your way in there. Since then things have changed, not to say it is bad just different. You now see trash and garbage, there is often late night parties and the pull outs going in are often filled with parked cars doing whatever. The fishing is still good for rainbows and very good for Kokanee. The little silvers are very easy to catch in the winter and they will hit dry flys all summer in the evening. I got several very big bows stripping in a black leach while in the float tube. It is good just the envirement around the lake has changed. Heck last year there were to topless ladies on the grass towrds the left! Gotta say i enjoyed that more then the trash! Viktor

That post reminds me of myself when I talk about Knik and how it used to be.