Thread: I did it!!!

Default I did it!!!

I actually tied my 1st fly!
    Yeah I know you guys have tied hundreds & thousands so it's not a big deal to most folks, but it's a big deal to me!
    I,ve been picking up supplies, bought a better vice (had a couple of the $10. ones folks had given me, but I bought a Dan Vise), watched a hundred videos on you tube & a few DVDs I bought, but I never seemed to just sit down & tie a fly. Fear of doing it wrong? Did I just like the idea of tying but didn't really want to do it bad enough to make time? I don't know ???
    Anyway, 8:15 last night out came the stuff & I tied my 1st woolly bugger, an olive on a #6 hook. It was just one then I had to clean up & head for bed (5am get up). It ain't perfect, but it should fish. If I knew how I'd post a pic for your critique.
    Any how, had to tell someone who would understand.
    Hopefully the next week or two will include lots of practice as I get ready for spring!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Congrats! welcome to the addiction.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

sweet deal man......I leave my stuff out on the weeks my wife is at work so I can walk buy tie one here and there and move on, until she comes back then I clean up. It is a lot of fun to catch a fish on a fly you tied.

Congrats, any picts available?

Yeah what he said Pics or it didnt happen!

Isn't tying flies similar to knitting or crocheting? I dunno I suppose I could knit myself a pair of socks but it seems like buying them is so much easier. I feel the same about my flies....hey maybe my wife wants to take a time out from macromeing hanging flower baskets and tie me some flies...

(I'm teasing you knuckleheads! I'm obviously jealous)

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Isn't tying flies similar to knitting or crocheting? I dunno I suppose I could knit myself a pair of socks but it seems like buying them is so much easier. I feel the same about my flies....hey maybe my wife wants to take a time out from macromeing hanging flower baskets and tie me some flies...

(I'm teasing you knuckleheads! I'm obviously jealous)
    I completely agree with you - it is pretty much just glorified arts and crafts time. And I enjoy every second of it. :-P

The worst is when a group of us are together tying and jawing - we might as well be sitting around sewing and talking about hair products! And occasionally we DO start talking about hair products and nail polish even!! (for use on the materials!) LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    I completely agree with you - it is pretty much just glorified arts and crafts time. And I enjoy every second of it. :-P

The worst is when a group of us are together tying and jawing - we might as well be sitting around sewing and talking about hair products! And occasionally we DO start talking about hair products and nail polish even!! (for use on the materials!) LOL.
    Very True
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Yeah, but just think about the money we are saving! (insert sarcasm at any point)

Quote Originally Posted by stanbiker View Post
    Yeah, but just think about the money we are saving! (insert sarcasm at any point)
    It's an investment... Once you get everything you need, you will save money in the long run... I will start saving money as soon as I buy "that one last thing..." LOL.